+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star 5

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Hacker Backers

Zac and Angela Hacker grew up around music, hearing their father perform and -- occasionally -- strapping on a guitar and picking out a tune themselves.

It was hard to ignore the allure of music -- geography alone was on their sides as the brother and sister made names for themselves in the Muscle Shoals music scene.

"We've both heard stories about how things used to be," Angela Hacker said. "We've seen the pictures of the artists who've walked through the doors of local recording studios, so to say we're supported by them now is a big honor."

The Hackers were in town Saturday night performing at the Alabama Music Hall of Fame for their legion of local fans as part of filming for the show "Nashville Star," which is in its fifth season.

Zac and Angela are among the final four singers on the hit reality-TV series, modeled after "American Idol."

The two were selected to appear on the taped versions of the show out of 20,000 entries.

"I had sisters harping on me to do it, so, this year, I finally did," Angela Hacker said of her audition in Atlanta.

Zac Hacker said he had no idea Angela was auditioning. He and some friends went to Nashville for their big break.

"It was a coincidence," he said. "It wasn't something I'd been planning on doing, but I was in the right place at the right time."

Both happened to make the cut and have spent the last several weeks performing in front of a live audience as well as three judges: Randy Owen, lead singer for the group Alabama, Blake Shelton, a country singer, and record executive Anastasia Brown.

Going into the final episodes, both say they feel confident about their future in the music business, regardless of who wins "Nashville Star."

"TV is TV, but music is music," Angela Hacker said. "It can be powerful, or it can be bad, but, either way, I think we'll come away from this experience with a record deal."

Throughout the series, judges have praised as well as badgered the Hackers, lauding them for their soulful, powerhouse performances or scolding them for obscure song choices.

The five-song set they performed Saturday night revealed their differences in styles and talents to an audience already familiar with the latest home-town heroes.

Angela Hacker's set included a song she co-wrote with James LeBlanc, "So Yesterday," and Zac was accompanied by his big sister on his bluesy acoustic version of "Get Your Love on."

Their distinct styles have led their fans to compare them to some of country music's heaviest hitters -- Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette and Vince Gill among them.

"Growing up, I listed to Vince Gill, and to hear people compare me to him -- I don't know what to say," Zac Hacker said.

Fans spoke for them Saturday night by hefting signs that read "Nashville Stars are Homegrown in Alabama" and "The Hackers Our Hometown Stars," a show of support Zac and Angela said they were aware of but were overwhelmed by, nonetheless.

"You don't expect to see so many people come out and support you or stand and wait in the cold for hours on end," she said.

Trey Snelling, 14, was among those who staked out his place early in the afternoon, hours before the pair arrived Saturday evening in their white limo.

"I'm gonna marry her," he said, and he had the sign to prove it. "I'll vote for both of them, but Angela is going to win."

Fan support is obvious through a cursory scroll of messages posted to the Hackers on the "Nashville Star" Web site.

Angela's role as a single mom to a son and the personal lyrics of Zac's song "If It Wasn't for the Whisky" have given many fans room to identify with the singers.

Carey and Shawn Fahring were at Saturday's performance and were among the fans who'd waited the longest to get a place in the front row.

Even if the Hackers weren't from the Shoals, the couple said they'd still support them.

"They're just so down home," Carey Fahring said. "They have their roots, and they're just good people."

As part of the event, Zac and Angela were presented with keys to the four largest Shoals cities.

Sheffield Mayor Billy Don Anderson was on hand with the other mayors to make the presentation.

"I've been so proud of the way they've done, but I've been disappointed in three people: the judges," he said. "They've been a little tough.

"Next to David Allan Coe, y'all are my favorites," he said to the Hackers.

They'll take it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
    I was there last night and I've got some pictures....I'll try to post them later and give my thoughts.........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I am so glad that you were able to go.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2243970;
    Why was Angela totally ignoring the live audience just so she could keep us all dizzy with the ridiculous playing to the camera?? I think she just seemed to full of herself with a so-so song, so that's one of the reasons I was unimpressed.
    I thought that was odd too (although I forgot as soon as her song was done, but now that you mention it ) I think one of the reasons she's been so much better is that she is playing to the audience, they love her and it comes across on the screen-rather than her singing to us through the screen. Wonder who told her to do that, and why. It sure didn't turn out to be good at all.

Here are some of the pictures that I took when I went to see Angela and Zac at the hometown show. I was pleasantly surprised at how big the turnout was. I arrived at the Music Hall of Fame about 1 1/2 hours before it was due to start and I couldn't even remotely get close to where they were going to be! It wasn't the best of places to be having something such as that because it is a museum so you have to wind yourself around the displays and such but I can see why they wanted to have it there since it represents our state.

I have no idea if I'll be able to see myself on the show Thursday...and the sad thing about it is I'll be in Lake Tahoe and will have to tape it since I doubt I'll be in my room when the show is airing! One thing that may actually show up on the show is there was a older guy who was at the meet and greet and he brought a picture of the Hacker Brothers Band (which was their dad's band) and he wanted them to autograph it. I was standing to the left of this guy and you could see Angela and Zac's look on their face like "WOW" and I heard Zac say something to the effect of "This was my dad's band". The NS cameras made sure to get a shot of the photo and of them signing it so I would think that might make the show. My next to the last photo posted is of them about to sign that photo of their dad's band (you can see the NS camera above Angela's head too!)

Angela's son was with her the entire time...he sat right next to her and was such a good kid...he talked to people who asked him questions...I asked him if he was as proud of his mom and we were and he said "yes ma'am"......

Here are some more pics...I thought I would split them up in 2 posts...

After the meet and greet, Angela and Zac were to perform at a local honky tonk bar called "PJ's"......Here are some pics from that....its hard to get a great pic in a bar with all the lights so I apologize for the quality...They sung a duet together first and then Zac performed for about an hour and then Angela performed for about an hour. They both sung the songs they sung on original night and then they mostly sung other originals....I can't remember what all they did sing but I know that Zac sung "Memphis Women and Fried Chicken" and Angela sung a Bonnie Raitt song. I have to admit that Angela's set was a little more rock edged than Zac's was....but I thought they both did really good and they both put on a good show!

Here's a picture of the autograph I got from them....I bought a postcard of the Music Hall of Fame and had them sign that:

They also were selling bottled water that said "There is something in the Water!" "Hacker Backer" and then it has a picture of both of them...

I have to admit that both of them were so pleasant and personable....When I told Zac how proud we were of him and how much we enjoyed his performances on TV, he just beamed from ear to ear and said "Its all been so amazing and thank you for supporting us.".......I didn't sense any jealousy in having to share the spotlight.....I was really impressed by both of them and hope that they both can take full advantage of this opportunity!

Those are some great pictures and it sounds like you had a blast. I am glad that they are nice as they seem on tv.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    Oh how cool! Love the pics! Thanks for sharing.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

FORT Fogey
    If you could pick the song for the remaining contestants, what song would you pick? I've been thinking about this and I think I'd pick LeAnn Rimes Big Deal for Angela, George Strait's Amarillo by Morning for David (just because I love the song), but I can't think of what I'd like Zac or Joshua to sing. Something upbeat for Josh, but Zac, well, he does so well on such unexpected songs, I just can't figure out what he should sing...

Other ideas?

My knowledge of country music is extremely lacking. I listen to country radio, but I wouldn't be able to tell you who sings half the songs I like or what the names of the songs are. I do love some Garth Brooks though and I think that Zac could do his songs pretty well.
    -Bono

I would agree with the Garth Brooks for Zac but my brain isn't functioning to think of which song of Garth's would be best suited for him...and I wouldn't mind hearing Zac and Angela do a little Garth and Trisha duet!!!

Angela would do good on a Trisha song, maybe some LeAnn Womack or some Wynonna...David likes the ballads...he could do Tim McGraw, John Michael Montgomery, Clint Black or even some Kenny Chesney ballads....Do you think Zac could sing some Trace Adkins or is his voice not deep enough to pull off one of his? Josh I'm having a hard time thinking of anything for him and I unfortunately don't think he'll make it past this week anyway!

Why is it when you are trying to think of a certain song for someone to sing you can't think of a darn thing???

+ Reply to Thread