+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star 5

FORT Fan
    Angela has been the best every week for me by a huge margin. Not only has she not screwed up but she has yet to not deliever a knockout performance.

I still loved her "I Can't Make You Love Me" the best. I think it was better than Carrie did it.

Holy crap. I thought all the originals other than David's were awesome songs. David has a great voice but isn't comfortable writing yet. Joshua's voice wasn't great during his song, but I think that was because it was so emotional for him. It took a whole lot of guts to perform that song. Zac and Angela were wonderful. I think this is now for sure Angela's contest to lose.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Country star to open Special Olympics event in New Brunswick

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2007

Country singer George Canyon will perform Feb. 15 at the opening ceremonies of the 2007 Special Olympics New Brunswick Provincial Winter Games in Bathurst.

Canyon, who grew up in Nova Scotia but now lives in Alberta, will entertain 250 Special Olympic athletes, coaches and volunteers and an estimated 3,000 spectators at the K.C. Irving Centre.

The singer’s appearances on Nashville Star in 2004 – he placed second in the competition – exposed him to millions of country music fans and earned him a record deal. The father of two has enjoyed chart success with singles like “I’ll Never Do Better Than You” and “My Name.”

Canyon has been rewarded with several East Coast Music Awards, Canadian Country Music Awards and a Juno for Country Recording of the Year.

The Special Olympics New Brunswick Provincial Winter Games allow athletes with Intellectual Disabilities to compete in skiing, curling, figure skating, floor hockey, snowshoeing and speed skating.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
    I really like George from his season! I was rooting more for Brad Cotter (home state boy!) but I would have been OK with George winning!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Link Here

Nashville stars: Alabama brother, sister take sibling rivalry (and revelry) to national level
    Posted by Mary Colurso February 9, 2007 00:00

Pardon me for noticing, but Zac and Angela Hacker seem to have a great deal of freedom on their particular reality series.

There's no curfew at night, so they can go out on the town with family members and friends.

There's no publicity police, hovering in the background during interviews or listening to their phone conversations.

There's no problem if the Hackers want to play an instrument on camera, demonstrating their musicianship. Sometimes, they even get to perform original material for the judges.

Their TV show, now in its fifth season, begins with the top 10 finalists already in place and moves quickly to name a winner.

As you read this, five episodes have been broadcast and just four singers remain in the competition. All of them are hoping to win a recording contract with Warner Bros., a chance to sing on the Grand Ole Opry and the keys to a brand-new Chevy Silverado.

Welcome to the world of "Nashville Star," an "American Idol" clone on the USA network.

Producers for this series will tell you they had the idea first, but took longer to get it on television. No matter. If "Idol" is Goliath, drawing about 30 million viewers per week, "Nashville Star" is David, attracting a few million fans.

But the Hackers, a brother and sister who grew up in LaGrange, near Muscle Shoals, have found plenty of advantages to being on the smaller and more streamlined series, particularly for two country singers.

"Nashville Star" takes place smack dab in the middle of the country music industry. It has a highly professional focus, skews to an older audience (which means the older singers have a better shot at weekly votes) and doesn't seem to mind that the Hackers have publishing deals with companies attached to Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals.

"I think we definitely chose the best reality show for singing and for music," Angela Hacker says. "In the past, these kinds of shows, I didn't really believe they were authentic. I didn't know the power they had. But I'll never regret doing this, whether I get kicked off next or go on to win the thing."

When I talked to Angela, 29, and Zac, 23, earlier this week by telephone, "Nashville Star" hadn't yet trimmed its list of contestants from five to four. But after Thursday's broadcast, at least one of them is sure to remain on the show.

Sibling rivalry? You betcha, although Zac and Angela emphasize that it's balanced by support and love.

"I have no problem coming in second, just not to her," Zac says, laughing. "We're very, very competitive. We try not to show too much of it. But deep down inside, both of us are questioning ourselves. What in the world could I do if it comes down to me and my sister? Or, what would I do to win against her?"

The Hackers, who seem like down-home realists, say the visibility they've gotten on "Nashville Star" is a guarantee of career advancement and that's exactly what they sought by auditioning.

"When I knew that I was going to be on this show, I took a minute to think, to see if I was ready," Angela says. "You have to sign a paper that says the network can portray you any way they want. But I'm not complaining about it one bit. It is what it is. You accept it and go on. We're all here for the exposure. 'Nashville Star' has put me on the map. Before, no one knew who Angela Hacker was."

That's a refreshing dose of honesty from a reality contestant, many of whom learn to spin their answers or dodge reporters' questions with feel-good blather. But during our conversations, I got the distinct impression that these Hackers would have a hard time lying.

Angela, for example, doesn't hide her frustration with some comments made by the judges: Alabama frontman Randy Owen, country singer Blake Shelton and entertainment executive Anastasia Brown.

Music criticism is most welcome, Angela says, but she's had a tough time swallowing negative remarks about her stage costumes and basic pulchritude.

"I'm not in a beauty pageant," she says. "I clean up pretty well, but it wouldn't matter if I had 20 thongs, a glam squad and all the money in the world. I'm not rail thin or all Botoxed. It's not that I don't respect what they say. But I'm OK being the simple girl who doesn't wear makeup to Wal-Mart."

Zac, meanwhile, admits that he gets "all stirred up" while reading remarks from viewers on the "Nashville Star" message boards. Comments there can be brutal, slamming everything from his physique to his attitude to his song selections.

"Do I dwell on it? No," he says. "But I can't tell you how important it is for me to feel comfortable and look good on the show. The camera puts more weight on you, and if you read those boards, it's hard not to get locked into what people are saying. It's real easy to convince yourself: Oh, everyone's looking at my double chin."

Both Hackers say they're most confident when the show focuses on singing and songwriting, skills they've been working on for years. Zac toured the Southeast with various bands and spent four years building his catalog at House of Fame Publishing.

"I can't tell you how many times I've had to play five or six nights per week, doing acoustic shows by myself," he says. "I set up the PA, run cables, do a sound check " do it all, play for four hours, tear it down and do it again. On 'Nashville Star,' I sing for a minute and 45 seconds. Doing this right here is like riding in a limo."

Angela, who writes for Rick Hall Music, has a self-titled EP to her credit. She's also been playing acoustic dates around Muscle Shoals for five years. Even before "Nashville Star" came calling, Angela says, she was preparing to cut her first album with Hall's help.

While toiling on the nightclub circuit, neither of the Hackers ever dared to imagine that national television would offer them such a sterling career boost.

"It's all about being marketable, but you've got to stay true to yourself," Zac says. "I plan to go out when the show's over and do a Zac Hacker record, see if I can sell it " even if I don't think Hank would have done it this way."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    For the hometown folks! There's even signs around town that says "We're Hacker Backers"! LOL

FORT Fogey
    My take on performances last night -

Joshua - not a bad song, just didn't sound like it was quite ready for recording. If he didn't use a co-writer, find one to tweak the song. If he did, find another. Also, he may be able to write (and with only one original song performed, it's hard to say since I didn't instantly fall in love with it), but he really has limited vocal ability.

Whitney - I'm sorry judges, I agree with Jewel 100% about the nasal thing. Whitney is hard to understand, sounds like she has a cold, and really seems to have a pitch problem week after week. She, apparently, also can't write a song to save her life.

Zac - I'm sorry, but I luv this boy. I luv his sound, I luv his look, I luv the fact that his voice is one of the sexiest things I've heard in years! And the boy can write not one, but, from what we heard, at least two pretty amazing songs. I could listen to the song he sang on stage last night over and over. Definitely will buy this boy's release, whatever and whenever that may be. All my votes went for him.

David - I agree with Jewel, again. This song sounded like a million others I hear and I found myself not really listening while he was singing. It was bland. His voice is nice, but he has too much of that pop sound, reminds me of Brad Cotter from a few seasons back. Good voice, can sing any cover, but nothing original enough to make him a star.

Angela - The song displayed her range and talent, but I didn't care for it and found it be too basic for me. The girl can sing, don't get me wrong, and if she wins, that won't be the worse thing to happen, but I'm still thinking her brother has much more all-around talent and I'm much more likely to buy his recordings or pay to attend his concert than I would be hers.

And how many of you think Blake probably crossed Jewel off his Christmas list for next year after last night's show?

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    I agree with everything you said Melsevene except about Angela's song. I liked it a lot and thought it was a strong showing. But I do love Zac!! He's adorable and that voice sends me Those Hacker siblings are so talented. I would've loved to hear Zac's other song as well, it sounded good, but the one he did was AWESOME!! And I loved seeing their father in the audience cheering them on. I thought Jewel gave them all good advice, she didn't tip toe around the contestants and heap unnecessary praise on them.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl73;2235050;
    I thought Jewel gave them all good advice, she didn't tip toe around the contestants and heap unnecessary praise on them.
    I'd say, if any of them take anything from participating in this show, it should be whatever advice Jewel has given them, because the judges have been stupid with their comments and Jewel has been downright helpful to each and every one of them.

I'm so glad they decided not to get rid of anyone, after the Directv fiasco. My take...

Joshua...I don't know why the judges love him. They seem to overly praise him, Anastasia in particular, what was her comment about Zac still being there only due to sibling rivalry? I think Joshua is much worse than Zac, but Anastasia obviously likes Joshua. Having said that, despite the poor singing, I really liked Joshua's song and think maybe he should stick to writing, not singing. Of course it's just one song, but it was powerful.

Whitney ... I liked her at first but not surprised to see her in the bottom two. I just don't think she's showing as well compared to DSR, and the Hackers. Cute song she wrote, and it was sung better than Joshua, but I don't see her lasting too much longer.

Zac...I've liked everything he's done so far, even when I didn't recognize the song. I'm glad he listened to Jewel as I think that was a great song choice. It was my favorite original.

David ... I like his voice. Good that he mentioned that he's fairly new to song-writing because I think it showed. It was good, but not great. He may suffer a bit this week.

Angela ... I also liked everything she's done. I prefered her brother's song this week, but that didn't make her song not a great one too. A very talented family.

FORT Fogey
    I have to say, I wish this show got more buzz here.

I just watched the show again and couldn't believe my ears when Ana said that up until now, she thought the only reason Zac was still around was the sibling rivalry thing. Is that woman completely nuts???

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2238708;
    I have to say, I wish this show got more buzz here.

I just watched the show again and couldn't believe my ears when Ana said that up until now, she thought the only reason Zac was still around was the sibling rivalry thing. Is that woman completely nuts???
    Absolutely!!!

+ Reply to Thread