+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bad Girls

Kao

Re: Bad Girls

My annoyance is in what you define as "Black Culture." Hip Hop isn't the end-all be all of Black American culture; it's a small segment of the whole picture. It's like saying Country Music and southerners define White Culture in America; it's just false and offensive all the way around.

pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoesies;3796770;
    There are all races and cultures in the Hood as in the Country Club today. Some people should get accustomed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3796808;
    My annoyance is in what you define as "Black Culture." Hip Hop isn't the end-all be all of Black American culture; it's a small segment of the whole picture. It's like saying Country Music and southerners define White Culture in America; it's just false and offensive all the way around.
    That's not what I meant to do, so I apologize. Apparently I have failed to properly articulate my point much as Kate did. I am well aware that's a small segement. The thing is, that's the most vocal segment that's plastered all over the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoesies;3796805;
    Well here I am again..the little white chick...saying America be ready...whites will not be the majority for long..nor will they control the wealth for long...who cares what color you are...your behavior is what matters most.
    We are in 100% agreement here.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

FORT Fogey

I agree with buttahfly very much. And clubs are for dancing. That is what the music is for. People generally dance close to other people. I am totally not understanding why one would say that black clubs are sweaty because blacks tend to dance closer to one another than whites do! That's so far off. Where would one get that idea? I suppose if you got to square dancing clubs or if your clubbing days ended in the days of sock hops, that could be understandable. The only clubs I've been to that have lots of space on the dance floor were not hot spots. They were lame and we left.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3796863;
    I agree with buttahfly very much. And clubs are for dancing. That is what the music is for. People generally dance close to other people. I am totally not understanding why one would say that black clubs are sweaty because blacks tend to dance closer to one another than whites do! That's so far off. Where would one get that idea? I suppose if you got to square dancing clubs or if your clubbing days ended in the days of sock hops, that could be understandable. The only clubs I've been to that have lots of space on the dance floor were not hot spots. They were lame and we left.
    The point is the culture/enviorment or "feel", of a predominantly black hip hop club, is very different from a top 40 "mixed" club, as it is very diffenent from a "country western" club.

Kate not wanting to attend a hip hop club does not make her racist. Kate not liking the hip hop culture does not make her racist. You not wanting to attend a country club does not make you racist.

Instead of wording it this way, Kate stupidly said "sweaty black club". I don't think that meets the bar for racist. That term should be saved for situations of true, dire racism, so that it doesn't come across as cying wolf, which is what is begining to happen to the term "racist" right now.

For example:
    Larry Reid is not racist despite this dumb comment:
    Obama: Reid always on 'right side of history' - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

His record clearly shows he's not racist, he's just bad at speaking publically about sticky issues.
    ------------------------------------------

Rush Limbaugh: Definately Racist.
    Extensive record of spewing racially charged nonsense, often completely unprompted.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"

For someone to make a remark like Kate did shows her ignorance. Not racism. I agree completely she is an idiot but racist, no. As a black woman, I have dealt with my fair share of ignorance and racism. Racism involves someone displaying hatred with malice and an intention to hurt someone else or showing a superiority over another race. Kate did not display that behavior, her intent was not to hate or show malice. I think several of the women, black and white have shown their ignorance in regards to each other. Hopefully they learn something about themselves through this process.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;3796893;
    For someone to make a remark like Kate did shows her ignorance. Not racism. I agree completely she is an idiot but racist, no. As a black woman, I have dealt with my fair share of ignorance and racism. Racism involves someone displaying hatred with malice and an intention to hurt someone else or showing a superiority over another race. Kate did not display that behavior, her intent was not to hate or show malice. I think several of the women, black and white have shown their ignorance in regards to each other. Hopefully they learn something about themselves through this process.
    Bingo!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;3796893;
    I don't think that's right. You don't have to be out to lynch or destroy others to be considered a racist. Actions don't make someone racist. Beliefs do. And Kat did not say she didn't want to go to a "sweaty hip hop place." She said "sweaty black place." That is discriminatory and the discrimination was based on race. If we continue to allow people to get away with saying discriminatory things just because they aren't angry or aggressive when they say it, then the discrimination will continue. Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3796907;
    I don't think that's right. You don't have to be out to lynch or destroy others to be considered a racist. Actions don't make someone racist. Beliefs do. And Kat did not say she didn't want to go to a "sweaty hip hop place." She said "sweaty black place." That is discriminatory and the discrimination was based on race. If we continue to allow people to get away with saying discriminatory things just because they aren't angry or aggressive when they say it, then the discrimination will continue. Not a good thing.
    I see your point, but labeling someone a racist for saying "sweaty black place", is going too far in my opinion. I've had white friends say to me, "I thought black people didn't wash their hair." When they said that to me, I was shocked that people were that ignorant... but I don't fault them for that incorrect assumption. I educate them and they learn. I don't label them racist because of it. It's about educating people who are not familiar with other races. Natalie herself has said some "questionable" things about her own race and other races, yet she is not being labeled a racist. I think it's dangerous to label people racist over one comment.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

i agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3796907;

+ Reply to Thread