+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Not over yet.....

Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Any cake show fans? It stars Duff Goldman, if you watch food network challenge you'll possibly remember him as the power tool guy.

I would love to be a pastry chef some day. That will be my 3rd career. I'm still in #1, in school for #2 so I have a little ways to go. Baking and cakes will stay a hobby til then.

I can't wait to catch this show Thursday night! Caught the preview snippets during the cookie competition last evening and am glad to see that Duff nabbed his own show. He's always been interesting when he's been in competition, as well as his appearance on Sugar Rush a while ago.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    What did everyone think of the show? I liked it, except for a somewhat nitpicky thing: The "purposely jarring" format. I get it, that's what they want to show you, a documentary style; how crazy the business is, going from cake-to-cake-to-cake-back-to-the-second-then-the-third, but, with so little time spent on each snippet it was hard to get even a good view... I'd have liked that style of editing if there was a little more time on a given cake or project in between cuts, is all. But otherwise, I Want to Be A Pastry Chef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Could does not mean should

FORT Fan
    I love this show- I love looking at all of the cakes they make and how creative they are. It sounds like no one caught the first episode with the wedding cakes- they were really something! I wish though that they would let us really have a good look at the cakes and more reaction from the people who ordered them.

I've been enjoying going through the shop's galleries at www.charmcitycakes.com and really getting to take a look at some of the works. My only problem is that there really isn't a proper description for a lot of them so you pretty much have to pick a category and dig (they seem to be some on description and some on name of person). There really is some great stuff there though to get a closer look at.

I totally dug the "fist of rock" cake, partly because it was so unusual, but I think what sealed the deal for me was the ring of fire and dancing sock monkeys.

Re: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022;2068253;
    I've been enjoying going through the shop's galleries at Charm City Cakes and really getting to take a look at some of the works.
    I've just started watching Ace of Cakes, and I really wanted to see more of their work. Thanks for posting that link!

I love the cakes they make. Sometimes I wonder though how much of these cakes you can actually eat. Sometimes the cakes look really good with the fondit and icing, but there seems to be little "cake" in it. I know they're for show more than to eat, but I wonder how you do eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2450390;
    I love the cakes they make. Sometimes I wonder though how much of these cakes you can actually eat. Sometimes the cakes look really good with the fondit and icing, but there seems to be little "cake" in it. I know they're for show more than to eat, but I wonder how you do eat them?
    I wonder that, too. I also get a little freaked out by how much their hands are all over what people are going to be eating. Sometimes Duff is sweating or the girls will rest their face in their hands while thinking and then go back to making the cake...

Yes!! I mean the cakes are gorgeous and I could never make those types of cakes in a million years, but I just see what kind of "hands on" policy they have and it really makes me wonder. Especially after taking a food handling course!

I watch this show, and the Challenge shows, way too much. Last night I dreamt I was trying to cover a cake in fondant. I have never even SEEN fondant in real life!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast