+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Re: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Is anybody else concerned that these guys don't wear hairnets are gloves? They are just rolling that fondit around with their hands and molding it and the work area is not clean. I mean they make nice cakes, but after seeing the process, I wouldn't eat it. Maybe I need to just stop watching how stuff is made? This is the very reason why I won't eat peppermints anymore. Not pretty

I do not see any of the chefs on any of the food network shows wearing hairnets. Most do keep it pulled back.
    There's no place like home!

I just started watching this show earlier this year, and I'm totally hooked. The cakes are amazing, and Charm City seems like the most fun place in the world to go to work every day.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I think the idea with "high end" bakeries and restaurants is that there is no need for hairnets or vinyl gloves because the crew members are at a "higher level" of service, meaning they know to wash their hands and to not keep their hair in their face. Its considered "tacky" to wear such devices when you are in certain places of eating that are pricey. Like a stigma.

And from a nursing stand point, no amount of gloves can protect you if you dont wash your hands or follow hand hygiene, such as wear your gloves when handling money or dirt or other modes that bacteria use. Also, heat kills a LOT of dangerous bacteria. Not all. But majority.

FORT Fanatic

It's been a while, but I believe I read that Duff was asked about not wearing gloves, and he insisted the crew frequently washes their hands. It's just that it would be boring to film that over and over.

FORT Fogey

Yeah they said that on one of the shows, and then showed a bunch of cut footage of the cast washing their hands. I'd also think that gloves could get in the way if you were making fondant or those little model things they use to decorate. They aren't exactly tailored to your hands, you know?

FORT fan

Anyone know why Ace of Cakes was canceled, what seems, suddenly?

Bummer! But I guess it was a mutual decision:
    'Ace of Cakes' to hang up its apron

Nov 19 2010 06:09 PM ET
    by Kate Ward

Sour news for a sweet show: Food Network has confirmed with EW that after four-and-a-half years, Ace of Cakes will end its series run in February 2011. The decision to cancel the series was a mutual one between star Duff Goldman and the Food Network; Duff remains in active discussions about continuing his presence on the network, a spokesperson for the Food Network told EW. But never fear; if you head to Baltimore, Md., you can still have your cake and eat it too: Charm City Cakes — the bakery featured on the program — still remains in operation. “We were here before the cameras, and we’ll be here when they’re gone,” a rep for the bakery told EW via email. “People will always want cakes, and we make awesome cakes. Nuff said.”
    Food Network: Ace of Cakes Will End Next Year

Nov 19, 2010 08:00 PM ET
    by Kate Stanhope

Food Network reality series Ace of Cakes will air its final season next year, the cable channel announced Friday.

"All good things must come to an end, and the final season of Ace of Cakes will begin on-air in January," Food Network General Manger Bob Tuschman said in a statement. The upcoming season will be the show's tenth and will reportedly feature the construction of a large-scale Delorean time machine cake created especially for a Back to the Future 25th anniversary event.

Ace of Cakes, which follows the daily operations and large-scale cake creations of Charm City Cakes in Baltimore, MD, premiered on the network in 2006. The series was one of the first docu-soap reality projects on the Food Network and paved the way for other non-studio-based series.

Food Network is hoping to continue its relationship with Ace of Cakes cake master, shop owner and fan favorite Duff Goldman. "Food Network, as well as its millions of viewers, remain passionate about Duff, so we are currently in the process of developing new show concepts for him," Tuschman said
    I guess this means there are some more new episodes coming until February, at least I hope there are.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'm going to miss this fun show. Duff and the gang are like a group of fun friends you get to hang out with each week.

FORT Fan

I used to watch this but tired of it after the first few seasons..
    and was not surprised to see that it was canceled.

For me it was pretty much the same thing over and over...
    some unusual and wild cakes but ultimately boring. I am also not a big fan
    of the "will we get it done on time" aspect of reality tv

Just my opinion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast