+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Re: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

I totally agree with you, Carly! I'm in awe of Duff's cakes, too. But you can't beat classic buttercream for flavor.

I guess it's kind of like digital photography vs. 35mm SLR or large format classic film photography. I can get great results with digital -- and can fix in Photoshop whatever I can't get with the camera. But it takes a lot more artistry and skill for me to get great results with my Canon AE-1 -- and I get more satisfaction with that.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Duff showed up as "the Muffin Man" on Disney Channel "Imagination Movers" this morning. DD didn't want to watch it since he wasn't making cake.

He was very cute in his role.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3801810;
    Duff showed up as "the Muffin Man" on Disney Channel "Imagination Movers" this morning. DD didn't want to watch it since he wasn't making cake.

He was very cute in his role.
    I saw that. My daughter loves Imagination Movers.

FORT Fanatic

Using rice krispie treats in making a 'cake' seems to be very popular, but I assume you can't eat it.

On another cake show, they made a bridegroom's cake that seemed to be essentially rice krisipie treats, which made me wonder if anything was edible or just for 'show'? It looked terrific.

Do they also supply a sheet cake for guests to actually enjoy? Does anyone know?

I think you would be able to eat the rice krispie treats in the cake. You can if made by themselves. Now you have me wondering
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3802688;
    Using rice krispie treats in making a 'cake' seems to be very popular, but I assume you can't eat it.

On another cake show, they made a bridegroom's cake that seemed to be essentially rice krisipie treats, which made me wonder if anything was edible or just for 'show'? It looked terrific.

Do they also supply a sheet cake for guests to actually enjoy? Does anyone know?
    On Ace of Cakes they usually state if a cake that is requested is just for looks or is to be eaten.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fanatic

I don't like marshmallows, and if rice krisipie treats have marshmallows in them, I wouldn't touch the stuff. But that's just ME.

If I saw a fancy-looking cake, I would be very disappointed to learn that I wouldn't be eating CAKE but something else.

Is it true that normally people don't eat the fondant that is so heavily used by these big-ticket cake designers? I read somewhere that it doesn't taste that good. Do you remove it before eating?

I really wish no one had brought up buttercream frosting. I have been craving it ever since.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

swissmiss - a lot of the time, especially at weddings, the cake has been worked on for days and days, so it's a bit stale. there are usually sheet cakes in whatever flavor the decorated cake is in the back, brought out after the cake has been cut by the bride and groom. So the decorated cake may be rice crispies or anything.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3805076;
    swissmiss - a lot of the time, especially at weddings, the cake has been worked on for days and days, so it's a bit stale. there are usually sheet cakes in whatever flavor the decorated cake is in the back, brought out after the cake has been cut by the bride and groom. So the decorated cake may be rice crispies or anything.
    Oh, thanks very much for explaining that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast