+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Re: Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2450685;
    Yes!! I mean the cakes are gorgeous and I could never make those types of cakes in a million years, but I just see what kind of "hands on" policy they have and it really makes me wonder. Especially after taking a food handling course!
    Fondant doesn't taste very good. I would just stick to eating the cake and leave the decorations on the plate.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Oh well that's disappointing! I imagined it to be more like the chocolate stuff they sometimes use. But very good to know for the future. So I don't look like a nitwit

I just found this show and I absolutely love it!!! I have to agree with some of you who have already commented about actually eating these cakes. I saw one of the decorators wipe her bangs out of her eyes and then turn the cake so she could keep on working. It also boggles my mind that they transport them without any kind of covering.

I love Ace of Cakes, too! I've been a wannabe pastry chef since my grandmother took a cake decorating class when I was a little kid, then I took a class myself. I'm a language teacher/tutor, but I've hung onto baking (and some decorating -- Grandma left me her cake decorating set and books) as a hobby ever since. Which makes the hubby ever so happy!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I enjoy the show very much, but I notice all the little OOPs of touching. Imagine what doesn't get shown . Maybe if they went to a one hour show, we could learn a little more of the techniques and final outcomes. Cake decorating just isn't a strong enough name for what they do. Maybe Cake Sculpting?? And how much do the cakes cost?

I like "cake sculpting." Maybe cake architecture, cake constructing, cakeapalooza?

According to the Charm City Cakes Web site, the price for a cake starts at $500. They do have some amazing cake flavors (which is great for cake connoisseurs, not so great, though, for frosting freaks).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by diva211;2467226;
    It also boggles my mind that they transport them without any kind of covering.
    Oh yeah, you are right. They don't ever cover their cakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne;2472171;
    Oh yeah, you are right. They don't ever cover their cakes...
    I've never seen a cake being covered when delivered. Including my own weddng cake, from what i was told. Maybe they are afraid a slight sway would cause the cake to smake into something hard so close and would screw up the decorations. Or that the cake needs to breath so that it doesn't melt? Or maybe that it would be too expensive to make individual cake covers for such a variety of sizes and shapes? Or maybe people in the cake industry are adrenaline junkies?

I've taken Wilton method cake decorating classes (you can do them at your average Michael's craft store type place, often)

Ten years ago nothing was covered in fondant (except british cakes.) It was all buttercream icing and flowers and whatnot over here. Fondant has increased in use to the point where I won't buy wilton's annual magazine. To me, that's not real "classic" cake decorating. But you just can't do the stuff that Duff does without fondant.

Rolled fondant is something similar to a more pliable marshmellow, it's a sort of edible sugary clay, but my kids don't like it. It doesn't melt in your mouth, it's kind of chewy and weird, but it dries to a firmer texture than most buttercream frosting which is why they can make figures, animals, etc.

I also have wondered how many times they need to include a plain sheet cake to get the right number of servings for a party!
    Carly
    Time flies by in photographs, and paper scraps and songs... Read mine...

Don't get me wrong - I love Duff adn the cakes are very cool looking!
    Carly
    Time flies by in photographs, and paper scraps and songs... Read mine...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast