+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gene Simmons Family Jewels (A&E)

Gene Simmons Family Jewels (A&E)

They're a regular family: Dad is Gene Simmons—the legendary, tongue wagging demon of KISS. Mom is Shannon Tweed—former Playmate Of The Year, actress and model. And their kids, Nick and Sophie, are, well...surprisingly charming, well-behaved teenagers dealing with the trials and tribulations of adolescence, even though Mom and Dad are like no one else's parents.

Gene and Shannon have been happily UNmarried for 23 years and have no plans of getting married any time soon. Gene is a rock star, and a multi-media magnate. He is also the kind of dad who brings Gatorade to his daughter's soccer games and stands in the front row of his son's rock band when they play gigs.

This series will reveal the side of Gene that he has kept hidden until now, and shows how the most non-traditional, traditional family in America manages to make it work under the oddest of circumstances.
    http://www.aetv.com/genesimmonsfamilyjewels/gsfj_about.jsp

Is anyone else watching? I'm impressed with how bright and normal Sophie and Nick seem. Gene and Shannon have obviously done something right.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I too really like Nick and Sophie. They are very well spoken. I saw them all on The View last week. Definitely good kids. I think Nick said he's 6' tall. I would like to know if the kids were first scared to see their dad dressed up.

I also really likke Shannon's sister. They seem like a really fun family.

I think it's cool they show all their home videos and that he has so much KISS stuff in his house.

When Sophie stuck out her tongue that was hilarious. And damn that she's 13. Well 14 now but during the taping.
    Last edited by VanJagSol; 08-08-2006 at 02:46 AM.

FORT Fogey
    I loved this show! I turned it on, intending to watch a few minutes and then go to bed. I ended up staying up for the full hour,and was sad when it was over and they didn't re-run it immediately like networks like Bravo always do. I thought it was really fun to see the ways their lives were so different from your average joe (such as "My kid started a band - so I'm going to hire a plane to drag a banner promoting it!" or "Yeah, dad is going to Vegas this weekend to hook up with women") but then so NORMAL too ("Dad is embarassing me in front of my friends telling us how to form our band", and the way the kids laugh at the flaws in their parents, but really love and respect them). I just loved it, and can't wait for next week!

I loved it too.

Charming is a perfect word to describe Nick and Sophie. I was also impressed at how unaffected they both seem. I loved Nick walking around with Gene at the NAMM show, asking him not to embarrass him.

Gene & Shannon do seem to be fairly grounded parents, despite the banner plane.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I missed it last night (ok, I fell asleep). Are they running re-runs this week?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Janey View Post
    I missed it last night (ok, I fell asleep). Are they running re-runs this week?
    Yes, it's re-running quite a bit this week. I know for sure it's on at 11 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol View Post
    I think Nick said he's 6' tall.
    Add 7 more inches to that: Nick is 6'7"! He towered over everyone at that NAMM show.

I found the whole family very likeable and I enjoyed seeing the clips of old home movies. I'll take Gene's family over Ozzy's and Hulk's any day

The banner plane was hysterical. I think Shannon said something like, "I could have bought a purse and shoes with that money, buddy!"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I caught two episodes of this show last night. It was REALLY good! I, too, was surprised how normal the family seems. Gene is so funny in his KISS-filled office, and when he was cleaning the house (and litterbox!) on Shannon's birthday I was cracking up. It's so sweet how badly he wants to help Nick's band, and while Nick is slightly embarrassed, you really get a feeling of how much love they all have for each other.

Such a nice change from shows with families fighting, and bleeping out every other word.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

FORT Fan
    I liked last night's episodes also. In my mind I kept comparing this show to Hulk Hogan's VH1 show. Both he and Gene seem to be very concerned and involved dad's in their kids lives. However, so far anyway, Gene has kept himself from spying on his kids. I hope that continues. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    Such a nice change from shows with families fighting, and bleeping out every other word.
    Who knew people could actually communicate with each other without cursing every 3 seconds?

ITA that Hulk and Gene are both very involved with their kids. The difference I see is that Gene's kids don't seem to have a sense of entitlement. We're only a few episodes into this show, but I can't imagine Nick Simmons taking off in his dad's car without permission. Nick and Sophie - in spite of being able to attend fashion shows and music conventions, etc. - seem like nice, normal and respectful kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast