+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Star Tomorrow - NBC's latest entry into the talent crapfest

Star Tomorrow - NBC's latest entry into the talent crapfest

Are there SO many of these crappy talent/singing shows out this summer that we missed one?

Its on now. Is it worth it? Probably not.

Yonder website, if you care: http://www.startomorrow.com/

Apparently the voting is online, so I guess you'll be needing that if you care.

Okay. Whatever else is going on, the "judges" are much better than usual. A guy from Blink-182. A guy from Foreigner. David Foster. And some other people.

Kenneth Keith Callenback? The loser from the Howard Stern show? Okay. This isn't starting very promising.

And if I'm understanding correctly, this show is going to be online entirely. It seems like this "show" on air now might be some kind of er... pre-show... to narrow the contestants down.

Another thing is they claim this contest is for EITHER soloists OR groups.

Of course, if the rest of this is online nobody is really going to watch after this.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-31-2006 at 09:11 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

To think, NBC could easily have left PR in this slot.

Ok you have made me a little interested.. Is this a local talent show? (Obviously sponsered by Nissan in the background)...

It seems like its taking place in someone's basement.

I'm loving this scraggly haired woman though. She needs more clothes and a make-up artist.

Not sure I'll be sticking around on this one..
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

A ZZ Top beard guy! Cool!

Otherwise? Not so much.

The talent isn't that bad, but honestly... is ANYONE going to vote on their stupid online site without a TV show to promote it after this?

And Mick Fleetwood? Man, he looks ancient. What is he? 90?

Mili Mili as opposed to....Vanilli?

teenage white rappers are like nails on a chalkboard to me..

I'm just confused that this is actually on a major network.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Heh. Ska.

I have to admit:

1.) Foster is a much better judge of talent than Paula Abfool, Simon Coward and Randy Dawg.

2.) People from Blink 182, ZZ Top, and Fleetwood Mac are a lot easier to take seriously than the fools who show up on MOST of these shows, and I think that may even include Dave Navarro and Tommy Lee.

But... the production values suck, as does the "online only" gimmick. Its like an amatuer effort from some real pros, and that makes it even sadder. Put Foster and his other judge picks on American Idol in place of those other fools and we can talk.

Later:

Okay. The thing with the judges jamming with the contestants is a good touch. Rockstar does this, but rarely. AI's judges are all washed up and/or not musicians, so they can't do this. And Come on. Even if he's older than the hills, it ain't nothing when Mick Fleetwood plays drums to accompany you, or the guy from ZZ Top whips out his guitar.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-31-2006 at 09:52 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Ok, when I saw "The One" Making a music star" I posted the following comment..

THE.Lamest.Show.Evah.

I'm ashamed and officially take this comment back and admit that I was wrong.

Drumrolls, please.....

THIS is. THE. Lamest. Show. Evah.

Nah. "The One" is infinitely worse. Its has tons of forced faux drama and nobody of any talent on it. This show lacks the drama and has talent--in both the judges and the contestants.

What was so sad here were the shabby production values and the lame-ass online only thing. It had the roots of a good show, and even some good moments, but its just a bizarre curiousity as a badly produced one episode introduction to an online show nobody will ever watch.

I mean, come on. You have actual real relevant music stars willing to come out for David Foster and go on TV. Do more with it. Make it look slick. Don't toss it into some invisible online bucket. Get a good production company instead of whatever bloody amateur shot this. Grrr.

Lex
    Krom, I think this show is an attempt to tap into all the underground internet bands that are out there. There are tons of unknown bands that have become popular due to the explosion of internet music downloading. The smart ones have used it as a promotion tool.

If I understand it right, this show is attempting to find the best of these internet bands. So, naturally, most of the competition is taking place online.

I thought this show was a cool idea, especially since a couple unknown internet artists I like are going to be involved.

Tonight's show was great. I enjoyed the judges and most of the artists featured were great. I already found some cool, new bands to check out like Next Phaze and Broken Pony. And, truthfully, the reason I watch shows like AI and this is to discover new music artists that I wouldn't have normally.

So, I really like Star Tomorrow. Though I'm a little confused if they're going to have a show on each week or if this was a one-time thing to promote the online competition.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

Lex, such a concept would ONLY work if they were partnered with a site like Launch.com or MP3.com. Expecting the rank and file public to log into NBC.com to watch TV just isn't going to happen in very great numbers.

And even in those other venues, the numbers are NOT going to be what they expect. Those sites have millions of "viewers", true, but they are momentary hits, not "extended viewing".

I suppose prominent links on MSN could help. A bit. And probably inside of the Windows Media Player default site.

+ Reply to Thread