+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Design Star

I missed the first episode, but have now seen the second several times. Perhaps it was something I missed, not watching from the beginning, but 24 hours? Come on. Lisa LaPorta can't do it in 24 hours, and she has professional carpenters, etc. helping her. Why/how would this bunch be able to? I can appreciate that perhaps they don't have the time to give them perhaps, but then, those designers on the judging team OUGHT to factor that into their judgement. And I don't think they did. In things like this, I always want to see what the judges could do with two novice helpers in 24 hours where they have to do work themselves and not just direct people.

Bearcata, sounds like YOU should be on the show. Is there somewhere we can go vote for you?

Urgh, I just flipped on HGTV, it's Designed to Sell, and Donna the "expert" (at being nasty) is on. She might be right about what is wrong with a place, but does she HAVE to be SO MEAN? She maybe thinks she's funny. Does anyone else, except maybe smirky Clive? This is a rerun, I've seen that door before. Shannon is much nicer and still gets her point across.

Design Star will be on in an hour.

crap-one of the twins is leaving! I can't believe they are separating the two. It will be interesting to see how the surviving twin does-I can't ever remember seeing them separated.

Which twin got eliminated, the one who had to shop at the beauty supply place or the camping store? Both rooms were equally not-so-good so either one could have been sent home I thought.

Vanessa with the swelled head, did a horrid job on her room and deserved to go!! The wall collages with the cotton balls looked so stupid, and she was so proud of them

The winning room was really neat lookiing. It was fun just seeing what ideas they each came up with for their rooms.

How weird would that be for them, if the remaining twin went on to win the competition?

The guy that won (David?) really did deserve it. The only other one I really liked was . . . forgot her name, the younger blond.

I couldn't believe the one guy spent all that money on dog food just to get the bags. Weird. OTOH, I'm not sure I'll ever look at any of those stores in the same way again. I'll be walking around the pet supply store wondering what I could use to put on the walls! LOL! The leash from the ceiling in Tym's room did look rather . . . kinky. {snerk}
    Last edited by Lucy van Pelt; 08-06-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Well, how not surprising -- HGTV has a section on the show: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_98..._37553,00.html

Just finished watching. I thought it was funny fate and a couple of paint cans keep bringing Donna and Temple together. I was very impressed with Temples room and I thought Donna was going home. I liked how in the van Vanessa and the Beauty Shop Twin made comments how Donna and Temple are the older and younger versions of themselves and that is what they see and why they constantly bump heads. I thought the camping store would have provided the best stuff to make thinks into. The beauty shope and pet shop teams had me worried. I was amazed at what David produced. Seemly amazed. What really surpised me was that the designers did not instantly put $25 aside and work with a $475 budget. That seemed like a real DUH! moment.

It was obvious that Dave was the winner of this contest. Temple was second with Alice 3rd. I didn't Alice would be able to pull it off and I thought the judges would not like her choice of paint, green being too woodsy. I would have liked to see her do a slip cover for the sofa though from the sleeping bag material or a least use more of it and make a cylinder of it and use it to cover the small side table. But it was only 11 hours. I wonder what would have happened if she had had 24 hrs to work with. Tym was right behind Alice as far as the design goes. I liked the use of the crate wire panels and dog food bags. Yes a little color on the walls would not have hurt. So that means Donna was 5th. I am surprised she did not go home after hearding that katches statement from Vern. 6th is Camping Store Twin and 7th is Beauty Store Twin. Last is vanessa. Funny how in challenge 1 she rocked and challenge 3 she sucked. If she had made pillows out of the wigs I would have been impressed or used the boa to trim the coffee table and side table. The wall color was nice and so were the stripes but she did not use the items creatively and deserved to go home.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

What is with the older woman's fancy with putting sofas at an angle?

She did that in the first show and the judges voiced their dislike.

Then she did it again last night!

Both times the rooms were too small or narrow for that.

FORT Fan
    Glad to see people still watching this show and commenting. Couldn't watch last night so I'll have to catch one of the ump-teen re-airings. Will wait to go to the HGTV site until after watching it. Just enough tid bits here. Am glad to know that Vanessa is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieMae View Post
    Glad to see people still watching this show and commenting. Couldn't watch last night so I'll have to catch one of the ump-teen re-airings. Will wait to go to the HGTV site until after watching it. Just enough tid bits here. Am glad to know that Vanessa is gone.
    If you go to the HGTV site you get a chance to rate the rooms. It takes a while to figure out how. Hover over the stars and it will allow you to put arating in. Also addtional video should be available today.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan
    Thanks Bearcata.

Was holding off going to HGTV so as to not "spoil" it for myself. (Not for who was eliminated but for the way the rooms turned out). Ah....went any way! Will have to wait to see the actual show, but it sure looks like they could have (Except for David) used a lot more imagination and creativity.

+ Reply to Thread