+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Star

peachroses

Why Can't Women Get Along

I spent years working with men and have just worked primarily with women the last couple of years.... and I have never experienced so much cattiness in my life... and I sometimes find myself being just as bad as the rest. I hate to say it, but men are just easier to work with..... well most men.....
    Because I said so ....

I thought the kitchen was the worst room and they should have let the two women go. Neither of them impress me.

Vanessa is absolutely blowing her own horn way too much ... both with the judges and with the other competitors. She's a legend in her own mind. I thought the other girl ... her name escapes me at the moment ( Fran ?) ... the one who did the drapes ... handled Vanessa very well during the task and later spoke up to her eveen though she was crying at the time about poor Joseph.

Predictions about next week anyone ? Didn't they say 2 getting eliminated and it would be a stunning surprise or something like that ? I kind of think that points to Vanessa being out of there because she's had so much face time.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Regular
    Yay, other people are watching this!

My question about the house in tonight's ep: does everyone here really think it was that bad to begin with? I'm not seeing what's so awful to elicit all those gasps-- if they think that house is bad, I'd like to show them 70% of the houses we looked at here in DC when we bought ours. That kitchen has pretty cabinetry, and those windows are absolutely gorgeous. Sure, the bedroom murals are pretty overwrought, but I'm willing to bet even money that this house hasn't been on the market for 8 months because of "bad design", but because it's either overpriced or has structural issues.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Vanessa is absolutely blowing her own horn way too much ... both with the judges and with the other competitors. She's a legend in her own mind. I thought the other girl ... her name escapes me at the moment ( Fran ?) ... the one who did the drapes ... handled Vanessa very well during the task and later spoke up to her eveen though she was crying at the time about poor Joseph.
    Agreed. I'm so glad Alice stood up for herself, and especially in front of the other contestants. Keep your composure (as much as you can once you've already burst out in tears) in front of the judges, but then out her in front of her teammates. That was not a classy move by Vanessa, and her lameass excuse didn't go over well.

I don't care for either Donna or Temple, but I actually sided with Donna on that whole shebang. I do not agree that she should have gone shopping 5 times, but prior to that Temple was a complete wench who doesn't seem to understand the team concept of collaborating on the overall design. Bitchy, bitchy, bitchy. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them go very, very quickly.

IcedSpice... yeah, I think it was that bad. The kitchen was horrid, even with nice cabinets, and that Master Bedroom was gasp-worthy. The living room just looked like it needed to be pared down and seperated into zones. They attempted that, but left it looking quite blah without some substantial wall decor.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    IcedSpice... yeah, I think it was that bad. The kitchen was horrid, even with nice cabinets, and that Master Bedroom was gasp-worthy. The living room just looked like it needed to be pared down and seperated into zones. They attempted that, but left it looking quite blah without some substantial wall decor.
    I watch a lot of Designed to Sell and basically that house needed a paint job to neutralize the floors. Remove the clutter, wash the windows and just some styling. All 3 groups were given $2,000, I have seen Roger Hazard and Tanya Memne do 3 rooms for $500 or less. I was very dissappointed.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

peachroses

Disagree with judges last night

Despite the fact that David did a great job with the paint treatment in the kitchen, I agree that the wrong team got nailed last night. Donna and Temple's bickering was distracting and so extremely unprofessional, especially in light of Donna being the team leader and doing so little of the actual work. That alone should have had her 'canned'. I really felt bad for Joseph. I agree that we did not really get to see his design potential, but considering that he was leading 2 women, I thought they did ok, granted not great but ok. I respect anyone that can control Vanessa, and I do believe he did that.
    Because I said so ....

i'm glad to see others are watching this show too! i didn't see a thread last week so i figured i must be the only one. haha

i was sad to see joseph go this week, he seems very kind but i wish he had a little more backbone.

vanessa is so cocky i can't stand her. when she said "it wasn't my idea", argh, i could have strangled her!

looks like they will have an individual challenge next week, i'm looking forward to it!

I thought overall the house didn't look that much better. I agree that they didn't really need 6,000 dollars to improve the house. That bedroom was horrendous, but the other rooms could have just been painted over and the furniture rearranged.
    I wish Joseph didn't leave-but what he did to that couch was terrible.
    Hopefully Vanessa or one of the bickering blonds will get the boot!

FORT Regular
    Now I've seen the rest of the ep, and I'm seriously underwhelmed by all of these people. I *still* don't think the house was "gasp-worthy", even the bedroom. It was tacky, yeah, but I've seen much, much, MUCH worse. And I'm completely baffled by what these people chose to do to fix it. The kitchen team-- I had to back up my TiVo four times to try to figure out what they changed beyond painting over the wallpaper. "Oh, they changed the light. Wait... no, same light." What was disagreeable about the room was the wallpaper and the floor, and they left the floor (thank you Vern for getting on them about that!). They painted it, changed the hardware, and put some fruit on the counter. Uh... okay. The living room was a complete disaster-- they left it looking like a bordello, albeit a bordello that's been on the losing end of a divorce settlement and was robbed of its furniture. The table and chairs set looks like it belongs on a patio, and what they did to that poor sectional was *criminal*, especially recovering it in that hideous red-velvet-flocked whateverthatfabricwas. Absolutely no interest that I could see in talking about the room's space problems or solving them, and the living room team seems to share the bedroom team's allergy to putting things on walls. Huge expanse of wall space, and I see... three plates.

And then there's the winning team. Obviously the bedroom was the room with the most wrong with it (okay, I don't like the murals, but honestly, I've seen Debbie Travis do much worse than those murals), but I'm not sure I agree that it was a stunning transformation. WTH is with that FLOOR? They left a rich looking, artistically-grained... plywood subfloor. It wasn't until the end of the show until I realized that this was what they intended as a finished product, and they didn't simply run out of time or money to put carpet or hardwood over it. If I were the homeowner, I'd shoot them. And then put a real floor in there. They've got two thousand dollars, for cripes sakes, go to Ikea and put a nice-looking laminate in there, it's still way better than the Glorified Subfloor. And they painted over the murals and the fireplace in... beige? And then they have huge beige walls, and they put one shelf with two pots on them. Are you afraid that artwork will hunt you down in the middle of the night and infect you with hantavirus? What? Two thousand bucks, you can afford to put a framed print or two on the wall. And then they dress the bed, in... yet more beige. They had the opportunity to make that room a really welcoming retreat, and IMO, they completely failed. I've seen hotel rooms that look more inviting than that bedroom. Although granted, they actually changed something substantive (unlike the kitchen) and they didn't make it worse (unlike the living room), but still, really disappointing for "design stars". From what I've seen so far, I don't think any of them could even qualify to carry Candice Olsen's coffee, let alone have their own show.

Oh, and then there's the professionalism, or lack thereof. I wanted to smack the woman crying in the end. "But we had these criteria, and we passed!" Yeah, and your team didn't pay attention to the "do not touch" list and your design sucked like a vaccuum hose, too. If you think the judges were harsh, wait till you have a viewing audience + homeowners to deal with. The woman who kept going shopping (and then had the effrontery to think she'd done as much work as the people painting and spackling) and the chick who wanted to antique everything and kept fighting with her also need to be smacked. As does Miss I Know Everything-- you went along with those plates, lady, whether or not it was "your idea", I didn't see you offering a better alternative. (On the other hand, as an about-to-be interior design student-- start classes in three weeks-- this gives me hope for my own career, rather in the "and they published THIS?" gives aspiring authors hope.) I love the idea of this show, I just hope it gets a lot better than this.

The point of the last show was to showcase a house to help it be sold as opposed to redecorating it. From watching Designed to Sell and Sell This House the main things to do is depersonalize the house, declutter the house, clean the house. As far as the sectional in the living room Roger Hazard from Sell This House would have simply broken it up into probably 2 pieces, stored the rest and used slip covers to change the color, rearranged the furniture, added lighting. The drapes actually looked good, Roger would have continued to use red as an accent color, using several pillows, candles and a throw to tie it in together. Redoing the sectional like Joseph did was a complete waste of time. If you are going to use plates as wall decoration, since the room is so large, create a statement, Vern Yip was right 3 small plates do nothing for the room. I am very surprised that the designers did not use up lights and plants and the accents color more to help showcase the room.

As far as the kitchen, painting the walls and the and the kitchen cabinets was a good idea I just think the designers did not go far enough. the cabinets were dark and stayed dark, the wallpaper was neutralized but the base color stayed the same, nothing was done to tone down or neutralize the tile floor. There is not much to distinquish between the before and after. Totally underwhelmed.

For a group of designers and a lot of these folks have professional experience I do believe most failed miserably in their assignment and the survivors should consider themselves lucky not to have been sent home.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast