+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Fit Club 4 - August 6, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    Sounds like another gimmick. There are hundreds of ways to lose a lot of weight quickly - for a little while, anyway. Unfortunately, they all tend to screw badly with one's metabolism… which is why most people gain back what they've lost and then some. The entire premise of thise show (and Biggest Loser) is flawed in that sense. Following people for a year as they made lifestyle changes and lost weight gradually wouldn't have the same bang, but it would be a lot more healthy and rewarding for the participants.
    First of all the reason most of us are overweight is that we eat huge portions and are sedentary. The shows like Biggest Loser and CFC work because the contestents are working out and are eating less. Its not magic. The issue is are you willing to do a permanent lifestyle change and stick to it. BTW on Biggest Looser the woman are on 1200 calorie diets and men 1500 and are excercising 3 to 4 hours a day. Anyone can lose on that. Maintenance is always the issue. As far as Fat Smash, Atkins, South Beach, all these have a 1 to 2 week induction phase where you give up sugar, white flour and sometimes caffiene to help detoxify your system and get rid of all the additivies food manufacturers add to food nowadays. Then there is a phase where you slowly add foods back into your diet and continue to loose until you have reached your goal wieght. At this point all this diets have you eating what is considered a normal diet the key is moderation and doing some kind of activity to maintain your body as nature intended. Again no magic forumula, no screwing with your metabolism. What helps people stick to these diets it that yes you do drop 7 - 10 lbs very quickly. Yes, a lot of it is excess water and some fat and maybe some muscle, this is not a realistic amount to expect every week but it does help keep people to stick to the program. Sticking to the program and somehow incorporating into you life is always the problem and if you can find someway to do it more power to you.

BTW my brother and sis-in-law and her family have been very successful in losing weight by first trying Greysheets, FA (Food Anonymous) and FAA (Food Addicts Annoynous). These programs all started in the New England area and programs based on the 12 step Alchoholics Anonymous programs. There are meetings, live and by telephone and sponsors available. Again these programs eliminate sugar and white flour from the diet and emphasize protion control. Detox is the hardest part of the program but I have heard especially from my brother how great he feels and how focused he now can be and how much energy he now has. Still that last 20 lbs was the hardest for him cause he quit and started the program 3 times due to stress from his job he yo yo ed the last 2.5 yrs over that weight. I saw him about 2 wks ago and he looked great even sexy and this is a sibling saying that about her brother. He has lost 55 lbs, most gained after he got married.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-15-2006 at 07:34 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    First of all the reason most of us are overweight is that we eat huge portions and are sedentary. The shows like Biggest Loser and CFC work because the contestents are working out and are eating less. Its not magic. The issue is are you willing to do a permanent lifestyle change and stick to it. BTW on Biggest Looser the woman are on 1200 calorie diets and men 1500 and are excercising 3 to 4 hours a day. Anyone can lose on that. Maintenance is always the issue. As far as Fat Smash, Atkins, South Beach, all these have a 1 to 2 week induction phase where you give up sugar, white flour and sometimes caffiene to help detoxify your system and get rid of all the additivies food manufacturers add to food nowadays. Then there is a phase where you slowly add foods back into your diet and continue to loose until you have reached your goal wieght. At this point all this diets have you eating what is considered a normal diet the key is moderation and doing some kind of activity to maintain your body as nature intended. Again no magic forumula, no screwing with your metabolism. What helps people stick to these diets it that yes you do drop 7 - 10 lbs very quickly. Yes, a lot of it is excess water and some fat and maybe some muscle, this is not a realistic amount to expect every week but it does help keep people to stick to the program. Sticking to the program and somehow incorporating into you life is always the problem and if you can find someway to do it more power to you.
    You are right on the money there. I was on SB. Lost almost 40 pounds. Gained about 5 back. Not bad. Falling off the wagon, so to speak, can be hard because you get those old cravings back.

But overall you CAN incorporate eating wisely into your regular life. And after detox, alot of the stuff that was trouble just doesn't taste as good anymore.

This gives people a boost, a chance to see how it can work. Maybe pick up some tips on how to do it healthy. Eat healthy and excercise.

Oh, I understand the theories behind the detox phase of these diets. And I've done South Beach. It did work… for the month I was able to maintain it. My beef with most of these diets is that they're not realistic for most people in the long term. Low-carb, in particular, is really hard to turn into a lifestyle.

And shows like Biggest Loser, which has participants doing 3-4 hours of very strenuous exercise a day, sets people up to fail in the long run. Who is going to stick with that kind of regimen? But they've spent weeks/months training their bodies to expect that kind of output, so when they go back to reasonable activity levels (which I'd define as 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise, five days a week), their bodies don't know what to do, and their metabolisms slow way down.

My own story is that I've lost 25 pounds with Weight Watchers (which is very much a lifestyle, not a diet at all) in three months. My fitness level has also increased hugely. I like this program because it's realistic and extremely flexible, and takes into account aging, metabolic rate fluctuation, fitness, and individual personalities. It only makes sense to me that since it took longer than three months to put on 60 pounds, the healthy way to lose it is gradually, as well.

I just really don't like the American quick-fix approach to life.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    Oh, I understand the theories behind the detox phase of these diets. And I've done South Beach. It did work… for the month I was able to maintain it. My beef with most of these diets is that they're not realistic for most people in the long term. Low-carb, in particular, is really hard to turn into a lifestyle.

And shows like Biggest Loser, which has participants doing 3-4 hours of very strenuous exercise a day, sets people up to fail in the long run. Who is going to stick with that kind of regimen? But they've spent weeks/months training their bodies to expect that kind of output, so when they go back to reasonable activity levels (which I'd define as 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise, five days a week), their bodies don't know what to do, and their metabolisms slow way down.

My own story is that I've lost 25 pounds with Weight Watchers (which is very much a lifestyle, not a diet at all) in three months. My fitness level has also increased hugely. I like this program because it's realistic and extremely flexible, and takes into account aging, metabolic rate fluctuation, fitness, and individual personalities. It only makes sense to me that since it took longer than three months to put on 60 pounds, the healthy way to lose it is gradually, as well.

I just really don't like the American quick-fix approach to life.
    I don't think BL sets up people to fail the TV program has a great website attached that partners with Ediets.com and ediets tries to provide a variety of programs. One diet does not suit everyone. I am thrilled WW's works for you, it drove me crazy. I know I have trigger foods and it is best that I don't even have them in the house. I applaud anyone that can go on WW and only eat a handful of potato chips or only 1 or 2 cookies at a time.

I seriously do not think of BL as a quick fix program. These folks are desperate and are willing to give up 10 wks of work and family to attend this program. There have been phenomenal results like Gary from season one who has maintained his weight loss now for 2 yrs. Loosing weight and keeping it off is like being an alcoholic you take it one day at a time. Sometimes you are successful and other times you fail. The end product of WW's and BL is to reach a goal weight and keep it off by portion control and exercise. It doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there. I always consider being overweight as an incredibly hard addiction. What I mean by this is that as an alcoholic or drug addict you must never use those substances again, on the other hand everyone must eat food and trying to lose weight while still eating the stuff you are addicted to is incredibly hard.

Also BL addvocates 3-4 hours of excercise to loose weight cause this is a contest, not everyone can do it, nor should they, and not everyone has the time.

I also don't consider BL or CFC a quick fix, both these shows promote eat less, excercise more unlike all the commercials I see for diet pills which is a multibillion dollar industry and does it really help anyone? Cause we are all skinny, right!!!
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-17-2006 at 08:03 AM.

I think we agree on more than we disagree, Bearcata. I'd certainly consider myself a food addict - using food as a numbing or comfort source. I dont know why WW works for me, because I've been a huge binge eater, too.

My problem with a lot of these diets is that they aren't really balanced over the long-term, and a lot do them do mess with metabolism, according to a few separate sources I've read. And anything that can't be reasonably maintained in real life worries me. That said, you're totally right about different people responding better to different programs. As long as it's balanced, with the emphasis on long-term lifestyle changes involving not just eating habits but physical fitness, it's probably a good thing. So in that vein, I like the idea of something like CFC or Biggest Loser, but I think the short (3-month) period and competitive aspect ruins them, because the focus is on losing a lot quickly. Not only is that not a good idea for most people (potentially causing problems like gallbladder disease, electrolyte imbalances, and others), but it doesn't really set them up for lifetime success.

I hope I'm not coming off like a know-it-all ('cause I know I can… ) – if I am, I don't mean it that way! It's just something I'm passionate about. I hate seeing people set up for failure in this aspect of life.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Jasmar, I think we are coming across from 2 different points of view and that's why we are butting heads. I do hear your concern about these programs giving out the wrong info and screwing with people's metabolisms. But there is a certain point we are all adults and should know how we should be treating out bodies. The reason I watch these shows CFC in particular is that if I can't do it for myself I want some other person to be able to do it for themselves and I do hope they will be an inspiration for me. I love Ralphie May and I really felt what he was going through and I wish him even further success. But I also love to watch the shows and listen to excuses. I have looked in the mirror and said the same things to myself so I know when I hear these celebrities are lying to themselves and to us. I do like that CFC is trying a 3 prong approach as far as food, spiritual/mind and the physical, and that they also explore some fantastic stuff such as colonics and laughing yoga. I love success stories like Wendy Kaufman, Gary Busey (even if he is crazy), and Gunnar Nelson. In the long run even though the aim of the show is entertainment I do think that if it even helps one person out in the audience it is worth watching and us posting about it. You never know maybe our posts will send someone in the right direction and help them to reach their goal weight be it through WW, Ediets, BL or CFC. So until the next episode were we will probably butt heads again.

August 20, and episode 3. This is were I expect the drama to start the celebs should be 3 to 4 weeks into their programs and this is were real life and bad habits tend to reasert themselves. Gee, who do you think will give the biggest excuse, my vote is on Big Pussy based on the previews.

August 20 - show discussion - possible spoilers

Day 30

Wow, this is the 2nd weight in and the show that I expect meltdowns. Nothing happened. Huh, everyone is still playing nice. Erika is up first and we see her at a photoshot and she is not happy with the photos cause she had never been this heavy.

1. Erika - 148 lost 5 lbs and is 143 for a total of 9lbs.

Fit Camp 2

Is at a firefighter training center and the teams will compete in three timed events. The best overall time wins and they will get a really cool grill.

1. Bucket Brigrade
    The Red Team puts out there fire in 8:38:19 Nick immediately calls the Red Team for cheating and instead of helping the Blue Team put out their fire he has a temper tantrum. Blue Team 12:42:19. Red has a 4:08 lead.

2. Hose Pull
    A team member runs to a firetruck holding a hose. Another teammate attaches the hose, a third runs the hose out and the fourth teammate aims the hose ate 3 windows trying to knock down 3 boards. Ted Lange knocks down 2 boards for the Red Team, Nick knocks done none and both run out of water; the event is considered a tie, but again Nick calls the Red Team out for cheating. One of the firefighters tells Nick there is no cheating but Nick insists on checking out the windows. The boards are on hinges and there is a string holding the boards up. Nick claims that the Blue Teams string is stronger and that is why he could not knock any windows down.

3. Dummy Rescue and Tower Climb.
    The teams are split into 2 pairs. Each pair must drag a dummy across a distance and finish line and then climb 5 flights of stairs up a tower.

Red Team 1: Ted & Tina 1:07
    Blue Team 1: Nick & Erika 1:06
    Red Team 2: Carnie & Vinnie do not drag the rescue dummy all the way across the finish line and must go back and do it then they both climb the tower. No time was given.
    Blue Team 2: BC & Angie finish and again their time is not given but their combined time for the event wins the Blue Team this event. But overall the Red Teams time is better for both events and therefore the Red Team wins Fit Camp 2. Nick is upset he doesn't understand how Red won, cause Red won one event and Blue won one. I guess he didn't listen to Ant when he said the best total time wins the Fit Camp, instead Nick continues to show the country what an a$$ he is.

2. Vinnie was 262 lost 5 lbs and is 257 for a total of 17lbs.

3. Angie was 217 lost 5 lbs and is 212 for a total of 14 lbs.

4. Nick was 171 lost 5 lbs and is 166 for a total of 9lbs.
    Again he ranted and raved about how he almost choked someone at his son's softball game.

5. Carnie was 180 lost 4 lbs and is 177 for a total of 12lbs.
    She tried indoor rockclimbing to overcome her dislike of exercise. Well, that didn't go well. Needs to do something about that else I will think she is another Countess.

6.Ted was 178 lost 4 lbs and is 174 for a total of 15 lbs.

7. BoneCrusher was 405 lost 4 lbs and is 401 for a total of 23 lbs.

8. Tina was 182 lost 1 lb and is 181 for a total of 12 lbs.
    She said that she was wearing size 18 jeans and is now in size 14 and they are lose. Dr. Linda says she has a good attitude.

Big Scale: Red Team 13lbs vs Blue Tean 19lbs

1. Vinnie - 5
    2. Carnie - 3
    3. Ted - 4
    4. Tina - 1

1. Erika - 5
    2. Angie - 5
    3. Nick - 5
    4. BC - 4

wk 1: Red Team lost 42 lbs
    wk 2: Red Team lost 13 lbs
    Day 30 for a total of 55 lbs

wk 1: Blue Team lost 36 lbs
    wk 2: Blue Team lost 19 lbs
    Day 30 for a total of 55 lbs

The teams are in a dead heat. Still I am very impressed that they were no meltdowns and excuses you usually see them at this time and the weight really slowing down but the both teams stayed more consistent then most for the second weight in. I do think thought that this 2nd weight in is a lot farther apart then it has been in the past. Still the previews indicate that is coming.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Next week there are meltdowns and vote offs. It was very obvious that Angie and Carnie are switching teams. I expected Angie, but Carnie was a surprise. I could have seen Vinnie being voted off. I think it might be Carnie's lack of excercising that is slowing her weight loss and thus hurting her team in the long run

FORT Fan
    I like this group. They are some of the most focused of celebs they've had doing this show.

I missed the first two episodes, but it's obvious that Nick is a whiner. Sometimes I wonder if the celebs really understand that they're on TV when they act like 2-year-olds. I like Tina, Carnie, Erika and Ted, because they seem to have good attitudes and haven't resorted to excuses.

+ Reply to Thread