+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Contender (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    So far I am really enjoying this season. Who needs Stallone, that big faker. Let him go and make Rocky 23, or whatever number he's up to.
    LOL thats what my husband said too!!

Im not usually into boxing, but I love this show. Probably due to the "back story" learning about the guys and their personalities...it helps me pick who to root for. Otherwise, to me, its just 2 guys throwing punches. *shrug*
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Newbie
    K-9 didn't luckout, he deserved the knock down he was landing hard punches all fight, hes not great working inside so I predict he would get destroyed by a guy like bravo or torres, even though he is gone. And why hasn't anyone brought up the 3rd fight..torres vs balletto...torres killed balletto, he was a monster inside, and he was weaving and dodging balletto's punches easily...the crowd won balletto that fight. P.S, I'm not even a torres fan

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: The Contender (ESPN)

Anybody watching this 5th season of The Contender? It's on the Versus (VS) channel. I've only watched the first episode so far. Tony Danza is hosting - he's leaner and grayer - I'm not sure I would have recognized him. He's okay but I really liked Sugar Ray. The new episodes air Wednesdays at 10 but the old episode is replayed at least once daily.

This new season is 12 episodes long.

What the hell I didn't even know there was a season 2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3251935;
    Anybody watching this 5th season of The Contender? It's on the Versus (VS) channel. I've only watched the first episode so far. Tony Danza is hosting - he's leaner and grayer - I'm not sure I would have recognized him. He's okay but I really liked Sugar Ray. The new episodes air Wednesdays at 10 but the old episode is replayed at least once daily.

This new season is 12 episodes long.
    I keep missing the first half hour, but I will be watching. I haven't been drawn into it like I have on previous seasons, especially the first season, but I'm looking forward to catching the entire first episode so that I can get a feel for all of the boxers. Maybe then I'll start looking forward to it and get drawn in....as if I need another reality tv program to follow.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3251954;
    What the hell I didn't even know there was a season 2!!!
    Oops ... this is only Season 4. I think Seasons 2 and 3 were on ESPN2.

I didn't even know there was a Versus channel - found it by accident.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3252057;
    I keep missing the first half hour, but I will be watching. I haven't been drawn into it like I have on previous seasons, especially the first season, but I'm looking forward to catching the entire first episode so that I can get a feel for all of the boxers. Maybe then I'll start looking forward to it and get drawn in....as if I need another reality tv program to follow.
    I'm not drawn into it yet either - I don't know enough about the boxers. I'm wondering if there was an episode before the one with the first boxing match where they introduced the boxers.

I enjoy the back stories about the boxers. Before watching this show, my impression of boxers was not good (think Mike Tyson). Throughout the seasons, I've been impressed with most of these guys.

FORT Newbie

I am really enjoying this season so far. When I heard it was cruiser weights I was like "huh?", I can't remember the last time I actually saw cruiser weights on any boxing card. In fact the only cruiser weight I've really ever heard of was Holyfield (he was a natural Cruiser) but he fought in the Heavyweight class.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by TheDMan62;3253710;
    I am really enjoying this season so far. When I heard it was cruiser weights I was like "huh?", I can't remember the last time I actually saw cruiser weights on any boxing card. In fact the only cruiser weight I've really ever heard of was Holyfield (he was a natural Cruiser) but he fought in the Heavyweight class.
    I had never heard of the cruiser weight class.

Totally irrelevant to this season, but for some reason I was just thinking about The Contender boxers versus British boxers match that was held in Newcastle, England after the second season. There were 5 or 7 matches. It turned out to be close, and IIRC, it came down to the last match with The Contenders winning. I thought it was interesting largely for the same reason I like the show -- the stories about the boxers, why they're fighting, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123