+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Contender (ESPN)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    I re-watched parts of the two episodes again yesterday as my husband was watching. I realized that these contestants are, both this season, and last, so much more likeable than the contestants on Hell's Kitchen, and many of the contestants on America's Next Top Model, Survivor, and other reality shows. It surprises me, because I wasn't at all a boxing fan before watching the first season of The Contender, and wouldn't at all have expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni View Post
    I caught it. K-9 lucked out.

The last fight was awesome. I couldn't decide who I wanted to win...so I picked th dad.
    Yeah I wanted the dad to win also. For some reason Cisneros reminded me of Baby Face from season 1.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

I finally caught an episode. I am glad to see this show back.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Ha! I luv to see an arrogant fighter go DOWN DOWN DOWN...there seems to be a record of big mouth talkers...who lose to cooler more focused more mature fighters.

I like that. Another great fight.

FORT Newbie
    1st off i love the show

Funny how the loudest, most boastful member of each team (Michael Clark, Aaron Torres) is already gone after ep 3!! haha!! Nice to see a loudmouth get shut up but on the other hand we have lost some of the best personalities on the show

does the flash video on the website work for anyone? ( www espn com/contender )it doesnt work for me... I remember during season 1 the nbc website would carry the whole 15 min fight which was really great because they only had time for 4 mins of the fight on air.

I heard in season 1 they used extra padded gloves dunno if they are doing it again. I think part of the reason they do it is so the fighters can stand toe to toe and wail on each other. However i think it will work against fighters like Gary Balletto in the end because it will be that much harder for him to get KO's now and that is what he relies on.

I am getting really tired of the overly dramatized and formulaic family stuff, the same exact stuff every week just with a different fighter, its probably here to stay though .

anyway looking forward a guys name came up this episode and although we haven't seen many of the guys fight yet something seemed good about him: Vinroy

Quote Originally Posted by contender123 View Post
    I heard in season 1 they used extra padded gloves dunno if they are doing it again. I think part of the reason they do it is so the fighters can stand toe to toe and wail on each other. However i think it will work against fighters like Gary Balletto in the end because it will be that much harder for him to get KO's now and that is what he relies on.

I am getting really tired of the overly dramatized and formulaic family stuff, the same exact stuff every week just with a different fighter, its probably here to stay though .
    I didn't hear about the padded gloves but I guess that makes sense. I was surprised by Balletto, he was strong and I can see how he would knock out an opponent because he came after them with everything he had.

I know what you mean about the family stuff - it's a bit much, but actually it was that element that made me stay tuned. Before The Contender I didn't care about the sport but the family aspect made me see it in a different light and start to enjoy it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

FORT Newbie
    Has anybody spotted any celebrities in the crowd this time around?
    That was one of the funner aspects of the first season, but the camera seems to linger much less on the audience.

My sister and I think they showed Mig from last season of Rock Star in the audience tonight. Anyone agree?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Was there a new show last night? I'm on the West Coast and at 10, there was still baseball on ESPN. I recorded the show at midnight, but that was last week's show (the third episode) in which Gary fought.

FORT Newbie
    Another great show just disappointed with the outcome. My husband and I were really rooting for the underdog and hoping he would pull out the win.

Red5bv06 - Your not seeing things because I too spotted Mig in the audience.

I'm all for interracial marriages, but I just find it kind of weird that so far like... three of these Season 2 guys are African-Americans with buxom blonde white wives. Is that, like, some kind of package deal with being a boxer?

So far I am really enjoying this season. Who needs Stallone, that big faker. Let him go and make Rocky 23, or whatever number he's up to.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast