+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Series of Pop Culture (VH1)

World Series of Pop Culture (VH1)

I didn't see a thread for this show, so I figured I'd start one.

The first episode (101) aired this weekend. 16 teams of 3 people complete in a round robin of pop culture trivia with a $250,000 prize for the winners. After hearing what the category is (TV Kids, Old School Rap, etc.), each team sends one member to the microphone to compete. 6 questions are asked. If a person misses, the person from the other team has the opportunity to "steal" that point if they can answer correctly. The person with the most correct answers out of the 6 questions wins and the losing person is then knocked out of the competition for that round. If it's a tie after 6 questions, they go into a tie-breaker where each person must answer until one of them cannot come up with an answer or answers incorrectly. (If I'm remembering correctly, one of the tie-breakers from the first episode was to name artists that have won a Grammy for best solo rap performance.) No team member can go up to the microphone for two categories in a row, unless they're the only team member left.

The Velvet Rope Revolution vs. Lazer Wolves

From VH1's site:

The Velvet Rope Revolution are three friends who met as up and coming assistants in Hollywood. These junkies of film, TV, and music say it would horrify their friends and family to see them cash in on their superficial pop culture obsessions. With a stellar mix of chilled-out confidence and knowledge, they are sure to intimidate any opponent. They will be taking on a trio of childhood buddies in Lazer Wolves who live together in the Cincinnati area. When asked about their team name, they simply state, "What could be cooler than a wolf that shoots lazers out of its eyes?" These self-described weirdoes are roommates who claim to only argue about "dumb stuff" like trivia. Why do Lazer Wolves want to win? Because they "are poor. Like Cinderella." They may appear not to take things too seriously, but when it comes to pop culture, these quirky dudes swear they'll slay the competition.
    3 the Hard Way vs. PDX 503

In the second match-up of the night, we have 3 the Hard Way - a couple of lovebirds, Drew and Laurie, and their pal Dave. These three met at Hooters during a trivia night. They had each other at "hot wings," and are extremely confident heading into this competition together boldly claiming to be the trivia tri-fecta. You won't find any nerves here. "The only time I've ever been nervous was when I thought my mom had run out of Sunny D," Drew confesses. They'll be facing off against PDX 503, the pride of the Pacific Northwest. These two brothers, Paul and Brian, and their best friend Wil, have traveled a long way and don't plan on going home empty handed. PDX 503 is ready to step up to the challenge and see how much "pointless stuff" they actually know when pitted against the best pop culture competitors in the country. With a blend of nervous energy and hyper intellect, these three are aiming to make their hometown proud by beating the free-spirited force in 3 the Hard Way and bringing home the ultimate pop culture honor.
    Some of the questions were just way too easy....what 1976 movie features the song "Gonna Fly Now" during a training montage? Come on! Although, I couldn't believe that someone over age 35 didn't know which Brady child had the doll Kitty Carryall and not only had to guess...but guessed wrong!

I thought the host and hostess added very little. Although I have to say, it was a pleasant surprise to watch a reality show that seemed to have real people as contestants, rather than models/wanna-be actors. A lot of the contestants seemed really nervous!

Laurie from 3 the Hard Way did an amazing job trying to save her team! Super ironic that she's the Hollywood gossip of her group and the guys were the trivia buffs, she definitely did them proud.

This is really enjoyable to me, but then it's always nice to watch a show where you know as much as the contestants (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the category). I'll be tuning in all season for sure with my brain full of somewhat useless pop culture knowledge.

Mr Nerd and I are hooked on this for sure
    I like that it is set up like a spelling be and not a game show.
    I whooped Husband tonight tho. 32 to 7
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I stumbled across this show by accident tonight, and I love it!

Darnit, apparently I missed an episode or two along the way I went from the first match episode (mentioned above) into the I {heart} Jake Ryan one. They mentioned that 4 teams had moved on, so apparently the DVR didn't pick up one in between.

I enjoy the wildcard, internet chosen team of Almost Perfect Strangers....they kicked major booty! Especially great since they had just met for the first time the night before.

I like this show too! I am surprised at how much "useless" information I have inside my head!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I also enjoy this show. I have not watched all the episodes of it yet but it is fun to play along.

I also love that it is set up like a spelling bee. I find the host very entertaining for some reason as well.

I love the show. The hubby and I have been watching it all week and I've been kicking his butt the entire time. If I'd known about the auditioning process, I think I'd like to try out for it.

FORT Regular
    I'm really into the show too. My fiance is not really into VH1/MTv shows, especially those in the reality tv category, and he's hooked too. I can't say that I've been beating him, but I'm holding my own.

I actually did see the audition information on the VH1 website a few months ago. My mom always said I'd be good on a game show (I'm addicted to them), but I never even thought about auditioning. I'm a chicken!

FORT Fogey
    who won?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast