+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Reality Show- Good or Bad?

I think it's a dumb idea, mostly because I hate the idea of a cat being "rejected" (voted off). It seems mean, even though I know they have no idea.

But I don't worry about them being unable to give consent. They're cats. I worry much more about elevating the status of animals to humanity, to be honest. They're amazing animals, and I've had a special affinity for them all my life, but they aren't human.

I'd much rather see something focusing on promoting no-kill shelters, public education about spaying/neutering and the needs of cats, and adoption. Surely someone can come up with a compelling show that really assists cats. Even if I had cable, I wouldn't be watching this one.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I don't have animal planet and I don't know anyone who's been able to catch the show. I hope the kitties all do ok and do go to a good home. But I hope this show isn't repeated next year. Or done with dogs or any other animals. Or orphaned children.

And I don't and won't buy MeowMix.

Here's a photo of Jo in the House. I hope he's/she's happy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It seems that I don't have a choice whether or not I want to or don't want to. But I'm totally rooting for Ellis and Bambi because they look like my cat.

I forgot it was on. The cats I see at the Humane Society are all in cages until adopted so at least these cats aren't cooped up like that.

ETA: Found this excerpt: "The project will be shown in three-minute segments in the 9 p.m. EDT hour Friday on the Animal Planet channel for 10 consecutive weeks, starting June 16. It had yet to be decided if the segments from the Webcam-equipped "Meow Mix House" on Madison Avenue will air at the same time each night."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1696621.shtml

I thought it was an actual show. I won't be watching an hour of Animal Planet just for a three-minute clip. I did some internet searches and found this:

http://www.meowmixhouse.com/webcam.asp

You don't need Animal Planet to see what's going on in the house. The webcam site will show you the same episodes you would have seen on the AP channel. For some reason I can't get the webcams to work (unless they're only on during certain times?) but I was able to view the first episode. I wasn't too keen on the voiceovers they did.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-17-2006 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks ArchieComicFan for those links! I had no idea it was a 3 min. "episode". It sounded like a real show.

I'm glad my kitts can't see that photo of the house. They sure would like a little place of their own, nicely decorated with state of the art furniture and toy-toys!

And I agree. Someone should be able to come up with something more productive and helpful to kitties everywhere! Put on your thinking caps people!!!!!!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I've got it! Use a home acquired from the government of a middle class family that robbed a bank, and fill it with cats, but seperate the violent ones. Put the violent ones in the former room of the angst ridden teenage girl. Put the fat kitties in the kitchen, put the furry kitties in the baby room, put the orange kitties in another bedroom, put the feral kitties in the third bedroom, and put the marginally normal kitties in the master bedroom. Airlift fifty pounds of Meow Mix(trademark) every week. Sounds fabulous! Any cat categories I forgot, remind me.

FORT Newbie
    It looks like these cats will be getting more attention and have more fun than most cats do in their life. As long as they're not being harmed, and ultimately they end up in someone's home, what's the problem? As far as the cats are concerned, there is no explotation, there's only special treatment for some unknown reason.
    If you were homeless, you were picked up and kidnapped by biologically superior ETs, treated like a king or queen for a week and then given a cushy home on another planet, would it matter to you if by their standards you were being exploited for their entertainment? I don't think so.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by djcait View Post
    It looks like these cats will be getting more attention and have more fun than most cats do in their life. As long as they're not being harmed, and ultimately they end up in someone's home, what's the problem? As far as the cats are concerned, there is no explotation, there's only special treatment for some unknown reason.
    If you were homeless, you were picked up and kidnapped by biologically superior ETs, treated like a king or queen for a week and then given a cushy home on another planet, would it matter to you if by their standards you were being exploited for their entertainment? I don't think so.
    Agreed.

And I'm sure they picked "cat-testants" that are known to be good with other cats. Many newer shelters have a communal playspace/living space for multiple cats, and they LOVE IT.

I watched the first 2 episodes online and it was super cheesy. I guess I cant expected much for a reality show that stars pets that can't talk.

But the cats are super cute and I think I could watch them all day running around in this little house made just for them. The host is the worst.

I'm rooting for the hippy cat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12