+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Editing (Long Post)

Very clear and well-thought out points, Howard!
    Like others here, I believe that MB selects contestants depending on what type of character he wants on the show. If that contestant doesn't evolve as the character he expected them to, then MB steps in with his creative editing to give his "character" the feel he was looking for. Then there are some contestants that don't require that much editing...i.e..Flo in TAR3.
    Yes, exactly, Wolf. I note that you write "that much" and do not write "that require no editing" with regards to Flo. You'll get no argument from me that Flo was spotted as a Ms. Prissy Britches Spoiled Brat from a mile away by the TAR producers. I will beg to differ when someone contends that there is no "editing" [<--as in no way to edit in by omission and/or the possibility of Freudian editing], however.

Jill, I didn't say Rudy was a scholar. I said he was a warrior ["hands on" in front of the front lines Navy Seal], which is a different thing altogether from being an everyday soldier. If the best warrior in one's special ops team has a thing for young men, or whatever, but he has saved/covered your butt on a number of occassions, I'd guess that one could overlook just about any indiscretions. In fact, I seem to recall Rudy making an allusion to Richard as being in control or the leader, if memory serves me. I have Survivor on tape somewhere... Ah Colleen, she was a real stunner during the middle episodes . Greg was cool, too: real Blue Lagoon, except for a tad too much ectomorphism and a superabundance of wit. I'm thinking Jenna might have all the makings of a mean Colleen, which has some allure of its own. Will let you know after next week's pictoral/pastoral bathing scene. The muddy water sucks. I hate the Amazon at ground level.

Here's an example of editing. Jeanne has been almost invisible so far, yet she's directly responsible for Granolagate, Idolgate & Sheltergate. She was a major player in stirring up the trouble. I think she's a quiet schemer who we'll learn to despise.

Ilikai -

I agree that the pretense is completely different for the two shows. However, both have a means of editing characters into more palatable forms, if so desired (such as leaving out some of Brian's more arrogant commentary would have made him appear less cold). I was only trying to draw a comparison between editing I personally liked, and editing I didn't care for.

Cali/nlmcp -

I got beat to the punch by Jill to explain your comment. (And as an aside, I do think Evan made the editors' job of making him look foolish rather easy.)

Tuluminous -

Great comments. And yes, the quote is from The Fountainhead, spoken by the character Howard Roark.

Jill -

Thank you. You have brought the reality into this reality tv discussion.

jodaar -

I never meant to imply that anyone here was unaware of the impact of editing. I was only trying to point out that editing does play a major part in how the story progresses, and that it can completely change a story around, simply by omitting.

To paraphrase a quote I heard while in school (it was about statistics, but it applies here as well): Editing is a lot like a bikini; what it shows is exciting, what it hides is crucial.
    Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.

Click here

HowardRoark, I agree with all of your points to an extent. But I seriously doubt Mark Burnett is leaving all his best material on the cutting room floor just to mess with our heads. While he does do some manipulating in order to tell his story, I don't think it's as much as some people argue. Most of the players actually have strong, distinct personalities & look good on tv. That doesn't need much help.

Ah, but jodaar, it is not that which is left on the floor that is the best material. It is what it adds to the story that is the best. In many cases the reality of the situation is far more interesting than the edited tale MB chooses to tell.
    Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.

Click here

Roark, this is a thought-provoking thread, and you've done a great job as facilitator. To repeat a comment I made in the General Discussion forum, I've been surprised at how "Trash TV" can attract a body of intelligent discussants. Hurray for FORT! I've been visiting FORT for less than a week, and many of these threads are on par with university listservs. (Request for a bookworm or geekchic smilie...)

On that note, I have a few minor comments to make.
    originally posted by HowardRoark
    However, there is a key difference between Survivor and a documentary: in general Survivor has a story to tell (and in many instances, several stories) while a documentary is produced solely to document an event or events.
    Documentaries are not produced "solely" to document events; they get storyboarded, too. I'm just an amateur filmmaker dabbler, but my one documentary was, indeed, a story (also cf. "In Her Own Time," "Harlan County, USA," "Paris Is Burning"). Some are collections of interviews (cf. "Crumb," "Dialogues With Madwomen"), and indeed they had stories to tell. And, Christopher Guest's and Eugene Levy's mockumentary "Waiting for Guffman" didn't just document (mockument?) the making of a musical in the podunk Blaine. It told a bittersweet story of somewhat-talented performers trying to "make it big" beyond their rural town. Anyway, maybe I'm overhashing this point, but I wanted to make sure it was expressed.
    OK, enough literary analysis! This is a forum for reality television.
    I know you were kidding but, still, it seems worthwhile to take the crit-lit approach to TV, to read TV as text. ( I'm an aging academic stuck in an internet forum!) You should seriously consider writing a comparative study of "Survivor" to Homer's Odyssey. Like Odysseus, the castaways leave home and embark on an adventure. They encounter temptation and some of the crew turn into pigs. Luckily, Christy will be protected from the Sirens...

Check out www.slayage.tv. There you'll find an example of academic writing devoted to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." You may have been aware of this already, but writing about TV is now a legitimate academic pursuit!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    John, perhaps we should move this to "other reality shows" or another forum since it is not specifically about Survivor? What are your thoughts? I'm happy to move it.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Probably fits there better, I agree.

Originally posted by HowardRoark
    Ah, but jodaar, it is not that which is left on the floor that is the best material. It is what it adds to the story that is the best. In many cases the reality of the situation is far more interesting than the edited tale MB chooses to tell.
    I'm not so sure. I think that in the end, whatever adds to ratings is considered best.

For example, the ladies bathing next week has little to nothing to do with the story (unless a croc nabs one of them). But, I don't doubt they feel it will boost ratings.

So, while the story is important, clearly the most important component is selling ads, and that calls for grabbing the highest audience share. That means to me, that anything "good" is going to be shown.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think that in the end, whatever adds to ratings is considered best.
    No way, Bill! Considered best by whom? Certainly not by me, the most important reality tv viewer around. I want to be awed and inspired and elevated and edified irrespective of the per unit volumes of powered soap and corn flakes sales... By extension of your thinking, Joe Millionaire would trump Survivor and The Amazing Race, wouldn't it? Renounce your heresy or be included on the apostate list with Sadaam Hussein.
    For example, the ladies bathing next week has little to nothing to do with the story (unless a croc nabs one of them).
    It IS a small piece of the 39 day history, but to say it has little to nothing to do with the story makes no sense to me, especially since we don't know how the future/story will unfold, or at least I don't. What if the sight of Jenna's cupped breast captivates one or more of the players and wins her friends beyond what her icy personality would have, clothed? Then the little scenic timeframe would play a crucial part of the game. I do agree that sex sells. I also must acknowledge that Survivor doesn't print it's own money, so therefore it must pay the bills with middle of the American road trending fare, but this doesn't mean there is no room for flourishes, IMHO. I'm just hoping for no more experimental film school editing stuff like was suffered in TAR3. I was physically perturbed, literally almost sickened, when I realized that Flo and Zac had won. [Or perhaps I should re-double my efforts at Zen meditation so that such stuff won't perturb me...]
    Last edited by Tuluminous; 02-23-2003 at 11:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast