+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

I was pleased to see everyone got to design and make an outfit this week, but I'm still waiting for one of them to design something I'd actually wear.

Tyla buying the trousers for Wayne was a big cop out.
    She needed to in the opposite direction with his look in as extreme a manner as he wears his current look.
    Something very tailored.
    I know that was daunting when she doesn't design for men, but I think she might have at least been given credit for trying something completely different.
    Her outfit would have changed the image of Matthew or Chris from last season, or even Henry from this season, but definitely not Wayne.

CCL

Re: Project Catwalk

This week's show was pretty good. I liked how they shook things up by forcing the contestants to use another contestant's picture and fabric at the last minute. Wayne's dress was clearly the best so I'm glad he won. It was fun having Giles as a guest judge though I did think they would at least show his outfit on the catwalk even if he did have immunity. And the poor thing finding out he wasn't going to be allowed in on the backstage judging. Speaking of, I find the backstage judging really annoying because half the time you don't know what outfit they are talking about. I guess they are doing it to keep up the suspense as to whose outfit they are slating (ie who may go home), but I just find it really irritating.
    As for Louisa's departure, I think the blame was improperly placed on her. If they don't want Ben to help the designers, they should tell him to keep his hands off. Ben came careening along and took over what Louisa was doing and of course she's going to follow what he does as he's the expert. The producers should tell him what his role is: to mentor, not to do. And the designers should be told not to let Ben take over their work (I seem to remember one of the designers not wanting to follow Ben's advice last season and Ben having a hissy fit. So the contestants are probably scared of aggravating him if they go against whatever he's doing).
    Next week - underwear. How exciting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Finally, an outfit I would wear.
    With a couple of modifications to the neckline (I didn't like the raw edge much or the way it stood away from the model's body) I would wear the icecream cone dress Wayne made.
    I really liked it.

Luke's fabric choices were hideous again this week.

Why on earth do we have to have underwear next week when we've already had bikinis?
    I thought Shawla was on dodgy ground this week and was quite surprised when she was one of the first two called as safe.

Fatz's outfit was hideous, but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because Luke's choice of fabrics was ridiculous. I know that he was inspired by a picture of a leaf, but unless he was thinking of designing costumes for a school pageant about salads he really blew it.
    I also think that the judges were way too kind to Shawla. First she was going to design an outfit that was inspired by the picture that she took, substituting the material she was given for the ones that she chose. Then she copied Fatz's design. Considering the nightmare that she created last week she really should have been in the final two with Luke.
    I agree with CCL. What was Luisa supposed to do once Ben De Lisi gave his advance? - ignore it - she would have been crucified for that and he would have gone ballistic as he did last season. If anyone should be blamed it should be Ben De Lisi for helping her too much, not Luisa for listening.
    I do agree with the judges (for once) that Wayne deserved to win, even if that safety pin creeps me out.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

CCL

Well, the underwear challenge was boring, as expected. Most of them underwhelmed. Luke's was pretty good, and he deserved to win. For being the youngest contestant there he's actually quite good. He was cute during the selling challenge as well. I liked Monica's camisole. It was a good save considering the size problem she had with the bra (B and D do sound similar, I guess). I'm surprised that most of them trashed their own outfits. Didn't they ever hear they were supposed to be their own biggest supporters? Don't give the judges ammunition! Faz's outfit sucked (particularly the bottom) and she deserved to go.
    This week Caprice, next week Mylene Klaas...what B List celebrity will they trot out next?
    I just read the Julien McDonald has been knighted (I think last summer?). I wonder if he makes everyone call him Sir Julian now.

Ugh, dull show.
    I wouldn't have worn any of that.
    As soon as I saw Shawla's abomination I knew it was just the right level of tackiness for Caprice to love it and sure enough...
    I thought Monika's camisole looked really poorly made, but agree that it was a good solution to her tiny cup problem.
    Wayne's bustier wasn't anything special but it did look to be well made, if a little basic.
    At least they all made something.
    When she said she was splittling them into two groups I had a horrible feeling we were about to see just two sets of lingerie.
    I liked the three strap detail on Luke's bra and the fact that he made a multi-bra with shoulder straps that could be worn different ways.
    I hate the trend of women wearing a regular bra under a t-back top.
    Get a t-back bra, or at least one that can be worn different ways so you aren't showing the straps.

I did like the part where they tried to sell their outfits on live television. I knew that Luke would do well at the selling bit, I did not think that he had it in him to make a good outfit. I was surprised that Wayne did not do well on television. I would have thought that he would have done well since he usually has so much self confidence.
    I thought that the judges would have had more discussion about whether the teams outfits co-ordinated.
    Shouldn't Monica have know her model better. I can't remember who it was, but didn't someone get eliminated last year because they went by the measurements that they were given and ended up making an outfit that was too small?
    I don't think that there was any question that Fatz was the one that deserved to go.
    The outfits were kind of ho hum, but they did give me some ideas for what to wear as part of my secret vice.

CCL

I'm surprised that Luke's dress won. Those slits were so high they were indecent! (Though I guess that would get someone noticed on the red carpet). And the middle satin portion of the dress jarred badly with the flowy silk used in the top and skirt portions. Hmmm. I liked Monica's dress best myself (apart from the wrap, which is easy to get rid of).
    Right now I think they are setting it up for a Luke win.

I thought that given the brief, that Luke's was the only choice to win, even though it needed a lot of work to make it wearable. I liked Monica's dress, but it wasn't a red carpet outfit. That's at least the second time that she made something that didn't fit the brief that they were given. I think that she is a good designer, but this is a competition with rules and Julian is not happy with her. Mind you, I think that they were all on shaky ground this week.
    I am so glad to see Shawla finally gone. I was so tired of listening to her.

Am I just overly nostalgic or is the standard a lot lower this season than last?

I really didn't like the fabric choices on the whlle this week.
    Wayne's silk look particularly cheap, imo, although it is hard to tell what you'll be getting from the tiny little swatches they were given to choose from.
    I liked Monika's fabrics the best.
    They looked more like dupioni silk as opposed to the high-sheen silk Wayne chose.
    I liked the colours and could understand her rationale that she was picking colours that suited her model if she wasn't designing for someone else who had given a specific brief.

Shawla's aqua fabric didn't appeal to me, but I'm not a fan of bright colour.
    The hideous red jacket put the tin lid on it for me though.
    Once she unveiled that monstrosity I was pretty certain she'd be going.

I don't think she ever showed a level of skill to match her arrogance.
    Last edited by fluff; 04-27-2007 at 01:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread