+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

Oh dear, the bikini show threw up some real stinkers.

It was hard for me to pick a winner seeing as how I wouldn't have worn most of them, but Fatz pink, seashell adorned creation was one of my least favourite.
    Although they weren't very complimentary about Wayne's bikini, it is one of the few I thought was wearable, aside from the fact there was not sufficient cheek coverage.

What's with Julian this season?
    He seems bound and detemined to be as rude as possible.
    I agree with his comment about the models hair looking like straw.
    You bleach the life out of your hair what can you expect?
    Grant didn't help matters by having her wear her hair in that messy style.
    I'm surprised she chose to leave the competition though, even though she was obviously hurt and probably fairly embarassed.
    Pretty rich for Julian to be criticising anyone else's hair considering the perm he's sporting this season.
    I thought he was unnecessarily rude to Monika in saying her ego was as big as her head and her head as big as her body.

I don't think that designing a bikini really helped to separate the designers. Really, other than the colours a bikini is a bikini. A lot depends upon the models. Some of the models had so little a figure that I felt as if I was looking at the kind of bathing suits that little girls wear as they are digging in sandbox at the beach.
    I am really shocked that they did not send Monica home. Whether or not hers was the worst outfit, she did not adhere to the brief. When Julian made his personal comments I expected Monica to walk out. She must have a really thick skin if she is willing to return next week.
    After getting over the shock that they didn't choose Monica I can't really disagree with them sending Tymoor home, since that's 2 weeks in a row he created something pretty hideous.
    Julian should learn that being belligerent is very different from providing constructive criticism or being entertaining. I guess he feels it is his function on the show to the hard nosed one, but it is neither useful nor amusing. Since he was so quick to criticize the models hair, perhaps he should look in a mirror and notice that his hair looked like a very old bird's nest. I am surprised and sorry that the model left since Julian wasn't really criticizing her, but the designer's decision on how to present his creation.
    The best part of the show to me was Ben De Lisi's interaction with the designers. I much prefer his constructive comments to Julian's abuse. He also had a couple of good lines about looking like Bedrock and his reference to a model needing a full South American.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2277819;
    I thought he was unnecessarily rude to Monika in saying her ego was as big as her head and her head as big as her body.
    It was rather a case of pot meets kettle as Julien McDonald seems rather fond of himself as well. Co-viewer agrees that he is even more vitrolic this year as compared to last. I thought Monica was going to leap off the stage and go after him. Mind you, she didn't really actually defend the garment, as she should have done, so I can see his complaint there. Seems like it is round 2 next week!
    Bikinis is a hard challenge because there's not really many places you can go with them. I found it very funny that they were all so shocked that the models were going to have to go in the pool in their bikinis. Imagine - getting swimsuits wet! You pose in them, you don't swim in the, you know!
    I did not like the winner's bikini at all. I liked Grant's bikini the best - maybe there's a bit of Essex girl in me! I liked the colours. Luisa's bikini reminded me of a Chloe dress that was popular a couple of season's back. Thought one of the judges might mention that.
    Monika will be glad Tymoor's gone, I guess. I thought they should eliminate her, solely because she didn't actually do the task assigned. So next week when they assign them whatever task does that mean the designers have free licence to ignore the brief?

Quote Originally Posted by William13
    Since he was so quick to criticize the models hair, perhaps he should look in a mirror and notice that his hair looked like a very old bird's nest. I am surprised and sorry that the model left since Julian wasn't really criticizing her, but the designer's decision on how to present his creation.
    Oh, dear. I felt bad for the model but, at the same time, she's in a profession where it is normal to get criticized for superficial things. By quitting she lost out on a good opportunity.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL
    Anyone catch the episode this week? I thought Monica's outfit was hideous. That, combined with her failure last to week to follow the brief, made me think for sure she would be the one ousted. I guess her personality kept her on, in that she makes for good tv (dramatic, sniping commentary on the other contestants etc). Or maybe they do feel that she has genuine talent and are waiting for that to be exhibited. Who knows?
    It was almost merciful for them to get rid of Grant this week, seeing as how it was his third week in the bottom two. I felt bad for him.
    I don't know why they chose the winner they did - the dress was okay but I would have thought they would have picked the main designer as the winner (Luke) and not the bossy boots who didn't fulfill her duty of being a supportive second, but instead ran ramshod over what Luke wanted. Luke didn't even end up getting his own design made, but had to incorporate elements of the other woman's designs, even though his design was the one chosen by the guest judge. Hmmm.
    Speaking of unsupportive junior partners, Tyla acted in the same manner but the judges didn't say anything to her. Maybe they don't know, but I would have thought the judges would have been kept somewhat informed of the goings on in the design studio. Maybe not, though.
    It seems all the designers have a hate on for Tyla, anyhow. It must've been weird for her to be in the house after they all picked her (bar Luke & Grant) as being the person who should be kicked off. But I don't really get Tyla's argument that the other designers were her friends and they should have stuck up for her. Firstly, they've only known eachother for a few days. Just because they are in the same pressure cooker atmosphere doesn't make them instant friends. They barely know eachother. Secondly, they had to pick someone. I didn't see her apologize to Grant for picking him, or even feeling bad for picking him.
    Next week...on to the races.

I didn't like any of the outfits, so I couldn't really pick a winner or loser. I would have liked to hear more discussion of how they designs did or did not live up to the original sketches. Since the sketches were the ones that appealed to the client (sorry, I can't remember his name), none of the outfits should have been disasters.
    I also think that the designers should have been asked why they thought that Tyla should go - was it personal or was it because they didn't think that she had talent? It seemed personal to me. What was the point of asking them if they didn't have to explain why or if they judges weren't even going to take that into consideration. It seems to me that they only asked so it would stir up more tension in the house.
    I was kind of disappointed that Wayne shaved off his beard and mustache. I was looking forward to seeing him in drag with his beard and mustache still on.

I liked the styling of Gile's dress the best, but I hated the colour (at least the way it looked on television). I was kind of surprised that Monica won, considering how harsh the judges were, saying that it should never have been allowed on the runway. I thought the dress that Tyla's team made was hideous.
    If Henry's technical skills are so weak, how did he ever get on the show? Shouldn't the auditions have weeded out weaker designers? Was everyone who didn't make the show worse?
    It is difficult to judge on television who deserves to go and who deserves to stay when they team up. We don't get enough information to judge the designer's relative contribution. (You know that they are only going to show the conflicts). At this stage the judges seem to be favouring Wayne and Fatz, but I wish that they would stop teaming them up, so that we can see what their own styles are like.

I thought if anything, Luke should have gone for making such ridiculous colour choices when he shopped for the fabric.
    Of course he wasn't bound by the pink hat and grey shoes, but he could at least have chosen colours that complimented the accessories.
    I can understand how Monika won, given that dress was chosen as the winner because she did do more work on the dress than the others, I agree with CCL though, I don't really understand how Fatz won the previous week when she was working with Luke.

I hope they go back to individual challenges next week.
    It was disappointing to only get to see three designs, particularly after we only saw four the previous week.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2305572;
    I hope they go back to individual challenges next week.
    It was disappointing to only get to see three designs, particularly after we only saw four the previous week.
    I'm wondering what's going on with the models as well, seeing as how most of them haven't been used for the past two challenges.

The fabric for Tyla's dress was nice in theory but it didn't look great in practice. I agree Luke was stupid to ignore the colours they were meant to be going for, and he put his team in a bad position (though their dress turned out okay). I don't understand why they ripped Henry for the bag - it was perfectly fine (in fact, it looks a lot like this season's Fendi's bags). The first team's dress was a too-shiny disaster.

It's difficult to argue with the decision to send Tyla home, but Shawla is lucky that Tyla self destructed, by not putting any effort into this challenge. Shawla made an ugly outfit and then didn't even try to defend her choices. But at least she changed Luisa's look, even if it wasn't for the better.
    Tyla did not even try to give Wayne a makeover, while most of the others seemed to make changes, just for the sake of making changes. Monica's design for Fatz was one of the few that seemed to just work as a design on its own - rather than trying to compete as the most dramatic change. Luke and Wayne's outfits weren't bad, but I can't see either of them as being anything other than a one off outfit, to be worn on the catwalk and then never again. Fatz on the other hand, might consider keeping that look.
    I can't believe Tyla's comments about not having designed for a man and having no interest in doing so. Does that imply that she has designed for drag queens before or that she has designed using jockey silks? I would think that a lot of what the designers have had to do for this competition have been out of their comfort zone.
    I thought that Julian's comment about the outfit that Giles made for Luke would be suitable for a Micheal Jackson comeback was funny. If Luke didn't have the right attitude he would have come across as ridiculous. But because it was Luke, it almost worked.
    Outside the competition, I thought that the guys who did Shawla's hair and make up as a demonstration should look for a different line of work. They changed her look alright. They changed her from an average looking woman to someone who looked like a recruit for the undead. If I saw her on the street looking like that I would be looking for a stake to drive through her heart.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by William13;2311596;
    Outside the competition, I thought that the guys who did Shawla's hair and make up as a demonstration should look for a different line of work. They changed her look alright. They changed her from an average looking woman to someone who looked like a recruit for the undead. If I saw her on the street looking like that I would be looking for a stake to drive through her heart.
    The guy kept fluffing her hair, then pinning it, then it was out and he was fluffing again! She looked okay when they were finished (I wouldn't categorize her as one of the undead ), but not transformed in any way.
    I liked this week's challenge. I agree that Tyla's outfit didn't change Wayne in any way. I do understand her dismay at having to design for a man because it is a lot different than designing for a woman. That said, she did go on and on. I kept thinking she should have just whipped him up a nice, demure dress and transformed him into a woman (not a drag queen but a nice, stylish woman). That would have been a makeover! (And Wayne would have totally worn it, too).
    I liked Monica's outfit the best and it was clear she was going to win. Fazi's outfit for Monica, though, was ruined by that stupid stole. It looked like a furry beauty queen sash. I really liked the outfit that Luke made for Giles, personally. And I thought it was sweet that Giles dyed his hair after the stylist said he would look good with dark hair.
    Another week went by without them using the models (last week they only used a few of them, the week before it was drag queens etc). At least the models got to come in and watch the designers strut their stuff. I wonder if they will go back to the models next week.

+ Reply to Thread