+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

giz
    Oh, say it isn't so! I didn't find her wooden, and I really can't take a whole hour of Kelly Osbourne popping in and out. And I'd rather we had some elegant than someone flashy.

CCL
    That's what it is saying on ITV news, giz. I didn't really find Liz wooden myself, though I'm not a big fan of her. I liked Kelly Osbourne's appearance on Project Catwalk, though she was often abrasive on The Osbournes (of the episodes I saw of that show). And I think it would be weird to have a 21 year old hosting (Kelly Osbourne is around that age, I think) and all the judges are at least a decade older. Hmmm. I guess the hostess is not on that much so it shouldn't make a huge difference either way.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I liked Kelley Osbourne's appearance, but I think that listening to her week after week will get tiresome. I didn't find Elizabeth Hurley wooden, but except for an appearance at the beginning and during the judgement she wasn't in the show that much. She did seem to take an active part in the judging. If Kelley Osbourne has a major say in the judging every week, we may see some strange outfits winning. Naturally, if they show Project Catwalk 2 in Canada I will be glued to the television.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

giz
    I didn't mind Kelly's appearance that much, she seemed nice, but I think her style sense is too out there for what they are aiming at. Won't stop me watching! (I hope it's not like ANTM, that it doesn't go downhill drastically after season 1).

CCL
    Well, to dive right in:

Debi's collection was just bad. She rightly deserved to be panned (though I did feel sorry for her when the judges were laying into her; she looked like she was fighting back tears). I hated the black/white fabric with the yellow/red circles. And the one with the big golden back collar? The girl looked like the queen off of a deck of playing cards. Oh dear. Also, Debi herself looked rather rag-tag at the showing. What was with the shiny purple pants? And her hair looked like she had been dragged through a hedge backwards! All of that said, I do think Debi has talent, and she certainly has passion, so I can see her making a go of it in the fashion world.
    Matthew's collection was nice - simple yet elegant. Maybe a bit too plain. Some of the outfits were too bright for me - I mean, who is going to wear a bright red pantsuit out and about? - but they might look good as seperates. He actually did sleeves! Well, ok, his pattern cutter did them but he designed them. He still seems pretty weak in person - wasn't able to charm the fabric person into sending him some samples; seemed unsure as to who his customer was etc. He looked exactly the same as during the show - I guess his barber calls that hairdo "the Matthew." I did enjoy his nonplussed roomate.
    I did like Kirsty's collection overall. I loved the purple and beige sixties dress and the beige shift dress. The purple fabric was beautiful. I do think she deserved to win and I'm glad she did. She looked very nice at the showing - I liked her straightened hair.
    As for the judges: I was paying attention to Elizabeth Hurley and she did not seem wooden to me. Oh well, even if she doesn't host round 2, she can stay busy by being Matthew's patroness. Lorraine Cassidy just looked ticked off, as always (Nina Garcia (US Elle) on Project Runway always looked grumpy as well. Is being grouchy a requirement to working at Elle? Because if it is, I'm in with a chance!). Julien McDonald looked so vulnerable and relatable at his fashion show. He was quite nice last night (surprisingly so).
    And that's it from me.

I wasn't a fan of Debi's collection either.
    I admire the fact she apparently took everything on herself, cut her own patterns constructed the garments herself, etc.
    While she may be the most technically sound, I don't think her designs were the best.
    I think some of her fabrics were garish and I think her final piece that Gemma wore was horrible.
    She criticised Matthew for showing a "graduate" collection, but to me, that outfit of Debi's was first week of fashion school.
    I also really didn't like the dress with the big gold collar.

I thought almost every piece in Matthew's collection was wearable.
    I wasn't overly keen on the black and white fabric with the red or yellow/orange circles either, but I did like the dress he made and showed with the cropped white jacket.
    The blue and red were a little bright for me, but I think the designs themselves were very wearable.
    This is more important to me than the level of technical skill Debi showed in putting her collection together.
    I can appreciate the skill, but if I wouldn't wear any of it then it's not going to be my favourite collection.

I want the purple strapless gown Kirsty designed.
    I agreed with Elizabeth that the black outfit in the middle of her set was a bit out of place.
    Overall, I thought Kirsty's was the best and I'm very pleased she won.

I thought it was a shame that Debi's reaction when she was greeted by her family was "well we know who are the favourites".
    I don't know if she meant that she felt she didn't win because they didn't like her persoanlly, but that is how it came over to me.
    Admittedly I could have interpreted it this was because I'm not too fond of her

Where to start? I think Debi was hurt by the fact that the judges found her too argumentative. Some of her outfits were too much like costumes. The high collar made me think of Elizabeth I. But I thought that at least her outfits were interesting. Matthews outfits just seemed boring. I liked some of the colours, but there did not seem to be anything imaginative about them. Yes, the oufits all seemed wearable, since they looked like hundreds of outfits for sale in any clothing store. I think that judges were too nice to him because they liked him personally. From the sound of it, if it were up to Elizabeth Hurley alone Matthew would have won. (I admit that I might be a bit prejudiced against his collection because I don't like him). I couldn't bellieve it when he made it to the final two. I thought Debi's criticism of Matthews collection was apt.
    The right person did win so all's well that ends well. I liked Kirsty's collection. It was fashionable, not too costumey, and had some nice colours.
    Elizabeth Hurley seemed not to like Kirsty too much or her collection. I watched the show twice and still didn't see that her criticism was valid. (Ben de Lisi's about the hair was though). EH expressed her criticism in such a venomous manner. I also thought it kind of strange that when she introduced Kirsty on the catwalk, she said "Our final designer is" and then had to look down at a card before saying "Kirsty". Did she forget? I know remembering 3 names can be difficult.
    I don't know if it was just editing but Elizabeth Hurley seemed out of sync with the other judges. Being naturally suspicious this makes me think that being described as wooden was just a euphemism for personality clashes with the other judges or maybe the producers. (And maybe questioning her taste a little).
    I know that it was a competition for designers, but it was also a competition for models. You think that they could have spared a moment showing that winning model celebrate. I tried to see if she was one of the people who came out to congratulate Kirsty, but I couldn't tell.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    EH expressed her criticism in such a venomous manner. I also thought it kind of strange that when she introduced Kirsty on the catwalk, she said "Our final designer is" and then had to look down at a card before saying "Kirsty". Did she forget? I know remembering 3 names can be difficult.
    We were commenting on that, too.
    Elizabeth Hurley's comments about Kirsty didn't really register with me, but if you say they were venomous, I believe you. To make a rash generalization, she seems like the type of woman who is not friends with other women/doesn't really like to see other women succeed. Might explain her total support of guppy-Matthew.
    I want to echo fluff and say that I admired that Debi did all the elements of her collection herself (cutting, patternmaking etc.), all while holding down a full-time job. They didn't really mention what the other two were doing while they were making their collection; I'm guessing they were still in school and we know Kirsty, at least, was being supported in some way by her parents (in that she was living at home). If they were still in school, they might have had more free time to work on their collections (judging by my own university experience) than Debi did. They didn't mention either of them holding down a job, apart from Kirsty's piano tutoring (which I doubt is/was anywhere near full time). Not to detract from Kirsty's and Matthew's work in any way, I just mean to applaud Debi for her work ethic. Must have been tough for her.

giz
    I did feel really bad for Debbie having put in such a huge amount of work. However, her collection was awful. That dress with the collar looked like a badly done Snow White to me. I sort of liked Matthew's collection, but it was lacking in imagination, as everyone's said, and I'm old enough to find it a tad Nancy Reagan. I did like the the way the front of the coats fell down in a swirl. I felt Matthew had a smug look on his face when it was the final two and wondered if he thought he was going to win.

I wish Chris had been in the final three. I was really pleased Kirsty won. There will be a Scouse designer!! Most of Kirsty's collection I really liked. It showed imagination, it was elegant, and I like Kirsty herself, so that doesn't hurt. She did look very pretty, as usual. And what happened to Julian? Why did he suddenly turn human? I quite liked him too (for a change), though I still curse him for causing even my thoughts to be done in a Welsh accent (I wonder if there's anywhere I can go to get help for this Welsh-itis?).

I just have to add that I was very impressed with the one hr format. If only Project Runway could take pointers. The English version stayed on course and was very generous with the contestants( no last minutes additions). Finally, is it just me or did the designs seem more glamourous than the American stuff.....they really blew me away. Yaay Kirsty. PS Debbie's problem is that she always comes across as a pattern cutter who dreams of being a designer but falls short, the others had better taste overall.

+ Reply to Thread