+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    i dont have the channel anymore, can someone fill me in about why people dont like matthew?
    Pretty much because he is (often) useless as a designer. He can't do sleeves, doesn't know how to make a pattern & can't do jeans (so I guess he's only making one-off sleeveless dresses for his line!). He can't make decisions (does he like his outfit? where does he want the photo taken?),always looks lost, has to have someone (Ben de Lisi, Debi, whoever) help him pretty much with every design etc. Unlike William, I don't feel like smacking him. He seems like a nice kid all in all. And if he had a few more years of fashion school under his belt I think he might provide some viable competition for the others. But I agree with William & giz that, as it stands now, he really shouldn't still be there at this point in the competition.
    Last edited by CCL; 05-31-2006 at 11:49 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    I don't dislike him, he seems like a nice kid. However, he doesn't deserve to be there for all the reasons CCL stated. I haven't been as keen on Renalto's work, but at least he knows what he's doing, can make decisions, and believes in himself. It's a bit of a mystery as to why Matthew's still there, I wish they would enlighten us.

cow
    oh, ok, i see. thanks
    moooooo
    orangepie

CCL
    Well, Matthew made it into the final. Must prepare ourselves for his collection of outfits without sleeves and, of course, it will be all dresses because he can't make pants.
    If they were going by last night's outfit alone, Christopher deserved to go. His outift was like a bad prom dress and it made the model look dumpy & frowsy. But I think they should have looked at the totality of all the outfits created thus far. If they had, Christoper definitely would have stayed (I think). Oh well, I liked both Christoper & Kirsty so I guess this means I can go into the final without my allegiance being torn. (By the way, Julien McDonald said that Christopher wasn't ready for London Fashion Week/the design world. But they put through a designer (Matthew) who has quite glaring technical deficiencies? Um, okay).
    I liked Kirsty's outfit last night (except for the back) and didn't find it tarty, despite what Liz Hurley said. That was a bit rich coming from her, seeing as how a) she became famous by wearing a dress that was literally held together by safety pins and exposed a lot of flesh and b) she chose Matthew's dress which exposed the model's entire sternum.

giz
    Oh, CCL, I hear you! I was really quite livid at the end of last night's show. I've got a little compassion fatigue, but not when it comes to shortchanged fashion designers. Are the judges freaking out of their minds??! Since when does being a sweet-natured, self-doubting, inarticulate, sleeve-challenged kid make you ready for Fashion Week? Can you hear me screaming??? Yes Chris' dress was a bit of a nightmare. I could see what he was aiming for (and that devil Ben de Lise loved the material), but somehow it did not work. I felt the model was too small for it, there seemed to too much material around the bodice and not enough woman inside. However, his work as a whole is the strongest in the show, so I think, as you said, he should have been kept in. I guess Mathew had to stay (argh), since La Hurley chose his dress, but perhaps get rid of Debbie instead. And in what way is Chris not ready as opposed to Matthew? Julian is the most infuritating person. (though, once again I am afflicted by his contagious Welsh-ocity, and find my thoughts slipping into that up and down Welsh at every opportunity. Bore da!).

And Kirsty's dress was gorgeous. It did not have an odd pink thing added on as an apparent after-thought across the collar-bone, nor was it too short (Matthew). Her dress was stunning. And like you said, CCL, my jaw hit the floor when Elizabeth Hurley said it was tarty! Excuse me, Miss I-would-be-a-forgotten-former-girlfriend-of-Hugh-Grant-were-it-not-for-the-strips
    -of-fabric-dress! The hubris of the woman. Julian tried to remind her of this but she haughtily said she "never would have worn a dress that tarty". Good lord. I actually thought the dress was very Jean Harlow, and alright, Harlow was seen as a little tarty at the time, but now that 1930's look is classic. I really was gobsmacked that she did not choose that. It was just stunning when it came down the catwalk, the only dress which said "wow". I wondered if the stylists's preference for the pink material swayed her. (and why do stylists always looks so plain in the way they dress?)

I really was quite cranky after Chris was booted and Kirsty's dress wasn't chosen. And I still am!!
    Last edited by giz; 06-06-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Iagree re Liz's reaction to Kirsty's dress.

I don't see how it was any tartier than some of the things Liz has worn in the past.
    I wasn't a fan of Kirsty's dress, loved the fabric, but not so keen on the design.
    I liked Debi's fabric, but didn't like the colour or the sequined embellishments.
    I thought Matthew's original choice of the tealish chiffon was horrendous.
    Whatever he thought the chiffon was adding to the pink fabric didn't translate on my screen. The chiffon was practically opaque and I agree with Ben that the fabric underneath could have been any colour, you just couldn't see it through the chiffon.
    The chiffon top on his original creation really cheapened the look of the pink fabric imo.

I really didn't like Christopher's dress at all.
    It was the wrong length (as was Matthew's), the fabric was far too rigid and I found it was very unflattering to his model.
    I can see why he was booted on the strength of this dress, but overall I felt his body of work was stronger than Matthew's.

I don't really have anything to say this week - CCL said everything that I was thinking. So ditto for me about Christopher not being ready, but Matthew was???? About Christopher deserving to go if you only look at this week, but not if you look at his whole output. His dress really was not flattering on his model. If he had done something like Elizabeth Hurley had worn before they would have attacked him for that. Choosing something different than the norm should get some credit, but it just wasn't done well.I had thought that Christopher had done enough earlier to get him into the finals.
    Matthew's dress was ok, but I didn't like all the little straps; on the front or the back. As much as he annoys me I do give him credit for making something nice at the last minute. He would not have had to do that if he had listened to Ben De Lisi in the first place. For someone so indecisive he was rather stubborn about trying to use both colours.
    I liked Kirsty's outfit the best and I too did not think that it looked tarty. It should have won in my opinion. But what do I know? I don't wear dresses (at least I won't admit to it on FORT). I don't understand why no one liked the colour of Debi's outfit. Maybe someone with more fashion sense than me can explain it to me.
    It will be interesting to see how Matthew can make a whole collection (and how many times during the time allowed he will second guess himself). If he wins, I will need a new television because I will put my foot through the one I have now.
    I thought it was interesting that Theo Fennell made alternate suggestions for Christopher, but not for any of the others. I guess he liked Kirsty's idea (I assume that is the other one that he was considering) and thought it didn't matter for Debi and Matthew because he wasn't going to pick them. I did chuckle a bit when Matthew said that he thought it went well, even though Theo Fennell had to finish Matthew's sentences for him and in some cases start them too.
    I guess Julien was playing good Julien/bad Julien. After being so nasty (especially to Kirsty) a couple of weeks ago, this week he seemed intent of being their friend. He even seemed happy for Kirsty when she made the final. I guess previously he was just practicing tough love.
    This is a final three that I had not expected. I thought Kirsty and Christopher would be there and someone else destined to finish third. Now I hope that the winner is Kirsty.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    . But what do I know? I don't wear dresses (at least I won't admit to it on FORT).

I don't understand why no one liked the colour of Debi's outfit. Maybe someone with more fashion sense than me can explain it to me.
    I doubt I have any more fashion sense than you. I remember Liz saying that colour of Debi's dress didn't look good on her. Everyone else seemed to think it was too dark or too dull of a colour. I thought it was a nice colour, myself. I just didn't like the sequinned bits.

Well, I've spoilered the ending for myself by flipping through the June UK Elle the other day. So warnings to others out there.
    Last edited by CCL; 06-07-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I doubt I have any more fashion sense than you. I remember Liz saying that colour of Debi's dress didn't look good on her. Everyone else seemed to think it was too dark or too dull of a colour. I thought it was a nice colour, myself. I just didn't like the sequinned bits.
    I thought the sequins a bit much too, but I really liked the colour. The way that the judges described it made me think that it was some fashion faux pas.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

CCL
    Apparently Liz Hurley got the boot as presenter for Project Catwalk 2 (she was thought to be too wooden). Kelly Osbourne is tipped to be the new host.

+ Reply to Thread