+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    I do have a problem choosing a winner in a designing competition based on their abilities as an art director. It may be important to test their visual sense, but they can hardly expect all fashion designers to be able to direct photo shoots. I don't think you could get an art director, give him/her some material and tell them to design a outfit.
    I questioned the whole idea of the designers directing a fashion shoot at first. But I think art direction is a part of a designer's job in that designers are (either wholely or largely) responsible for choosing the direction/style/theme of the advertising campaigns undertaken for their clothing.
    I agree that Kristy or Christopher will probably end up winning.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I questioned the whole idea of the designers directing a fashion shoot at first. But I think art direction is a part of a designer's job in that designers are (either wholely or largely) responsible for choosing the direction/style/theme of the advertising campaigns undertaken for their clothing.
    I agree that Kristy or Christopher will probably end up winning.
    I see what you are saying and to a certain extent I agree with you. It's good to them have to demonstrate all the skills that they will need to be successful designers. I just think that the outfits should be the main criteria and that art design is more peripheral. I don't know how much experience any of them had in directing a photo shoot (judging by the results, not much). It was hard to tell from the show how much help the photographer gave them. During the design part Ben De Lisi is there to mentor them. With the photo shoot for which the contestants had far less experience and no-one other than the photographer to let them know that they might be making a wrong turn, it seems rather unfair to eliminate someone based on the photo. Not that it made much difference. Shakeel was going to be gone soon anyway. He might be a good designer, but he did not seem to be able to improvise well. Unfortunately, we will have to listen to Renatto go on about his win throughout next week's episode.
    Your post also got me to thinking about the models' hair and make-up. I don't remember if any episode showed whether the designer's also directed the hair and make-up people as to how they wanted their model's to look. Actually, to tell you the truth, until this week's episode I didn't notice that the models had a different look from week to week. I only noticed this week because Matthew's model looked very different.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

giz
    I found last night rather anti-climactic. Maid's uniforms. Yawn. I didn't like Matthew's uniform either, don't know why he won. I thought it looked like a stewardess. I actually liked Renalto's, though granted it would look pretty silly on a large woman. I liked Chris', though in practical terms the colour was not really workable. I laughed at Renalto saying Matthew was only in because he "looks like a giant kitten". That was funny, and perhaps a little true. (Though I certainly don't think Matthew is good-looking, which Renalto implied. If Renalto wasn't so difficult I'd find him attractive. He's much more handsome than Matthew IMO). I was sorry Marianne went, she has interesting ideas, but is possible a little too avant-garde for the competition. I think they are looking for a more classical type of designer, Ungaro versus Galliano, say. I'm hoping next week will be a more interesting brief. (and is it my imagination, or now that they've got fewer designers are they spending more time trying to goad them into slagging each other on camera?).

Did anyone catch what Julian said to Kirsty? I was channel hopping for a moment and missed it. The preview insinuated it was something about her Liverpudlian accent being downmarket, which seemed a bit mad, as Welsh accents are not regarded as being posh in the U.K., and Julian is as Welsh as a leek.

Yes, I did hear what Julian said to Kirsty and I thought it was pretty rude.
    Thankfully, along with our apparent commoness (according to Julian) we Scouser's are also known for having a great sense of humour which comments like that do nothing to diminish.
    I think Julian can be nasty for the sake of it at times. He seems to want that role as the controversial, from the hip judge, but it was good to see him being more (imo) constructive when he was in the workroom with the contestants.

I didn't mind Matthew's outfit, I didn't think any of them we great, but did agree that Renato's was my favourite and also agreed with the judges that Marianne had to go.
    What was she thinking?
    I think Debbi's would have been better if she'd chosen the black instead of the grey fabric.
    The grey seemed very unforgiving when made up into the garment.
    It was as though it was poorly sewn imo, but knowing how skilled Debbie is (bum exposing outfit aside) I doubt it was poorly constructed.

I'm surprised that Matthew's outfit will go/ has gone into production though.
    I didn't think the maid was very impressed weith it when she had to work in it.
    I think it's a shame that no one came up with anything better than the nurse type uniforms that the room maids already wear.

giz
    Good point Fluff. Most of them were a bit nursy. Probably why we both liked Renalto's as it avoided the whole sterile look that Matthew's epitomised. Speaking as a maid, I'd prefer something with long sleeves, at least in winter, as I'm constantly getting disinfectant on my arms. Or at least 3/4 length (room for rubber gloves). I was suprised no-one went for a more martial look. A row of double buttons (ala pea jacket) might have been interesting.

Having them use all the same colours made for an interesting challenge in the sense that we could see the designers's personalities given the same constraints, similar to auto races with identical cars.
    However, it also made it difficult to remember which item was which. I taped the show and found myself rewinding from the bits where the judges stood before the outfits and back to the runway. I was still confused as to which was which.
    Visually, I liked Renato's outfit the best. Apparently, it wasn't functional though. Based on the maid's test run none of the outfits seemed to be acceptable as work outfits. Matthew must have made some modifications after the trial run, since they decided to actually use it. I am somewhat suprised that they did not have someone on the judging panel who actually had to wear the outfit, since they made such a point of the outfits being functional.
    Speaking of Renato, I thought that after his win last week that Renato would be insufferable. It may just be the editing, but he seemed more subdued this week. I liked his comments about how they were all in the same boat because all the outfits were rubbish.
    We did not see Julien take his verbal with to either Renato or Debi. I wonder why. I am sure that he had something demeaning to say to them. During the judging Julien could be tough, but I thought that his comments were more personal last night.
    I thought last week that Kirsty and Christopher were favourites, but I don't know if there are any favourites. Matthew seemed to be on his way out, but he won the challenge this week. Kirsty seemed to be doing well, but might have gone home this week if Marianne had paid attention to measurements. There seems to be no consistency as to who is best from week to week.
    I liked Marianne, but she really did fail this challenge. She did not seem to adapt in any way to try to please the judges. As Julien said, she seemed to have a set vision, which she would not stray from. That may make her a good designer, but it does not make a good reality tv show contestant. And how could she think that her model was so small? She may not have worked with her before, but she had seen her before. Not to have noticed her size seems to me to require quite a bit of tunnel vision. The designers have to pay some attention to the other models - if only so that they can switch them if they win.
    I don't want to suggest anything improper, but even Matthew seemed to think that he was still there because Julien liked him. Are they trying to hint that "the love that dare not speak it's name" has had something to do with the judging? If so, then Julien had a funny way of showing it during their one to one session.

CCL
    I didn't see the episode last week, but it was nice reading your commentaries. Thanks everyone.
    Matthew is like a giant kitten. Or maybe puppy. You just feel like patting his head and saying "there, there." I'm quite surprised he is still in the competition, visavis his lack of technical skill. Last night he had to have Debi show him how to make a pair of pants and it seems he is always needing help.
    Speaking of needing help - the Ben de Lisi freak out session was rather over-the-top. I can see why he would be hurt by the comment but he went above and beyond. I'm sure someone has criticized him & his taste before in his life; I'm sure his life hasn't been all daisies and sunshine.
    The outfits last night were pretty horrendous. The pirate theme was kind of stupid, but at least they could have used some of the red and blue fabrics. But they didn't and everything seemed especially blah in the colours they chose. All that badly dyed, awful grey coloured denim. Yuck. I did like Christopher's outfit (though I agreed with the judge who said it should be in a different fabric. Though maybe still in denim just not the awful colour they were using). And I actually liked the capri-style jeans with the big cuffs. But generally...uh, no.
    I'm starting to warm to Debi. Maybe because they are showing less (or she is exhibiting less) of her loud, party-girl antics. She does have a lot of talent.
    I think Christopher, Debi & Kristy will be in the final 3. I don't see how Matthew could make it, but I guess we'll see.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Unlike CCL, during last night's episode I did not feel like patting Matthew on the head once. I did however, get a stronge urge to smack him on the side of the head and tell him to shut up. His isn't that much younger than some of the other contestants and yet he feels so much less mature. If he wins this you will probably hear me screaming (they might even hear me in London). First, he couldn't make sleeves. Now it seems, he has never made jeans. How has he gotten this far. He's one twice, hasn't he?
    Did they say that the theme was "pirate". To me it looked more like 19th century workhouse. To have created things so dreary this late in the competition is amazing. Did they really intend the outfits to be so colourless (and worse, they looked dirty). I can't say that I liked any of them. If I had to pick one I would have picked Renato's - it was dreadful, but at least it had some colour. Renato doomed himself when he said that he did not care whether his outfit was commercial, he just created something he liked. He might as well have said that he made the outfit to ensure that he was going home. It had the same effect. Matthew's comments were also thoughtless, but next to Renato's they did not seem so bad.

giz
    You're right, I don't know what Renalto was thinking. I think he just says what he thinks, is not politic at all about these situations. I thought he might have got some praise for being a good project leader though. They (and we) might not have liked what they came up with, but at least he was good at organising and motivating the team.

I, too, am flabbergasted as to why Matthew is still there. How far should being sweet and a bit useless get you? I liked Chris' outfit and that was it! Debbi and Kirsti's had some interesting elements, but overall did nothing for me. I think bleached denim might perhaps have been alright if it was either not so bleached or paired with some colour. They did seem to have been willfully and bizarrely ignoring their client's usual style. And pirates have been done to death. I guess I'm too old, but it all seemed a little faux Westwood to me. I thought they could have done something more timely. Something very British to go with the World cup would have been fun, they could really have gone to town on a theme like that and it would have been colourful and Top Shop would have loved it. I'm a design genius!

cow
    i dont have the channel anymore, can someone fill me in about why people dont like matthew?
    moooooo
    orangepie

+ Reply to Thread