+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Catwalk

I didn't like Lesley's at all.
    I was anticipating hers most because from the sketches it looked like a really interesting idea.
    Then she seemed to go in a conmpletely different direction fabric wise and I didn't think the end result looked like the dress I was looking forward to seeing from the sketches.

First of all, I think that it was really nice to see that none of the contestants were ready to blame any of the other contestants. I agree with Giz that I have never seen that happen before on a reality tv show. It's a refreshing change of pace. I don't think that it was planned. The first few seemed to really mean what they said. I think once the ball got rolling, no one wanted to be the first to rat out the others.
    I also think that it eliminated any chance of Lesley staying in the competition. I am of two minds about that. Did she really fail since her design was only one of three to be chosen by Kelly Osbourne to be made. Doesn't that automatically put her in the top 3 for the week?
    One the other hand, I think it was a really bad idea for her to be the one on her team to go shopping for shoes. Since it was her design, wasn't it her responsibility to stay to make sure that the dress conformed with her conception? If for no other reason than only she could know what she really wanted or intended. I don't know that the dress would have come out any different, but it was taking a very big chance.
    I also don't think that she really listened to what Kelly Osbourne said. She tried to argue, but if you are making an outfit for a specific customer, isn't it wise to seek input from the customer - and if the customer volunteers ideas don't ignore them. I think that she might have avoided some of the criticism if she had made the dress by herself. Her team could only go by the design as it was, but she could have altered the design to fit Kelly Osbourne's input.
    I definitely think that the right outfit won. When I saw the outfits it seemed to be the only one that I could picture Kelly Osbourne actually wearing. Whatever the aesthetic value of the other designs, I just could not see them and her co-existing. They did not seem to fit her style or body type.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I agree with everyone that said it was nice that the designers didn't play the blame game. But if Lesley hadn't started it, I wonder how many of them would have had the same response? Anyway, I agreed with the elimination.

giz
    Loved Operation Catwalk last night. I love listening to Julian thingy, that Welsh voice, even if he is a d%*k. What happened with Matthew? Why did he implode? I loved it when Elizabeth Hurley said "steady on, stiff upper lip Matthew, remember you're British!" What a hoot. I think she missed her calling as a 19th century nanny. It's very culturally true though. My beastly English husband flinches at any sign of perceived weakness.

I didn't like most of the gowns actually. Thought they were a bit dull (I am thinking this in a Welsh voice by the way). Chris' was quite nice, and I thought Marianne did quite well considering the brief. I did think Matthew could have done alright with the brief if he'd only pulled himself together and been firm about a better fabric. I wasn't sorry to see Gemma go as I couldn't stand her bizarre Scottish/slacker hybrid accent. I like Scottish accents, but not when done by someone who sounds like they're on qualudes and have a bad cold. Cause I am grumpy today!

And Italian guy (I am blanking on names today)? He is cute, but very highly strung. I think he's scaring everyone else a bit.

I did enjoy last night's episode, but I thought that the dresses that looked like wedding dresses did not seem very creative and the dresses that did seem creative and/or original did not seem fit for a wedding; unless you are like the model Lisa and are thinking along the lines of a Shrek themed wedding. I could see her as a sort of wood nymph or a dancer at a medieval festival.
    I liked the colour of Renato's dress, but I hated the dress itself. I may be biased because I find him very annoying (and I don't think that the winner should be chosen because of their personality). The dress seemed too shear for a wedding and seemed to have no shape.
    Unlike Giz, I did like Gemma, but I had no problem with her being eliminated. Her dress wasn't what the model wanted, and wasn't very suitable for a wedding. She was definitely one of the weaker ones. Since she was also in the bottom two last week, it makes sense that she was the one to go.
    Since Matthew did so well previously, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this week. However, how long can he last if he breaks down so easily under criticism (that really was pretty gentle) - not just in Project Catwalk, but in the fashion industry? I can understand being emotional, but you can't fall apart like that. Also, how long can a designer last if they can't make sleeves? I would think that would be a fairly basic skill.
    I thought that the judges were pretty easy on Marianne, since everyone, including her, could see that her dress was not really a wedding dress.
    I was impressed by Shakeel. He admitted that the model's taste was not his own. To be able to design something true to the client's wishes, while adding some of your own style and have it turn out nice cannot have been easy. The only concern that I might have is his age. His age gives him the benefit of experience, but he's not exactly up and coming.

giz
    Renato! thanks William. I actually liked Gemma, it was her accent that was doing my head in. Yes, the sleeves! How can he spend the rest of the competition avoiding sleeves? Anyway, he did them on his Barbour dress, so why can't he do sleeves all of a sudden?

I did like Shakeel's dress. He's also very competant. I agree with the model, though, the roses were really tacky.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Thought they were a bit dull (I am thinking this in a Welsh voice by the way)
    Nice.
    I was sorry to see Gemma go, personally. I actually quite liked her dress - it flowed well when it was moving.
    Matthew's dress was just...bad. I like Matthew but he clearly is not up to snuff in terms of fashion skill/knowledge - ie his inability to make a pattern for Leslie, the whole "sleeves" thing, letting his model pick a fabric that was too stiff (he should know what fabrics will look like when shaped into dress form). He's only had, what, one year of fashion school? Maybe they teach sleeves in the second year or something. I'm sure once he learns more he will become a great designer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL
    Interesting concept last night. I liked how they all had to pick out clothing to work with and then found out that they had to give that clothing to the person next to them. Hmm, I wonder what they would have chosen if thye had known that from the beginning? And I liked the photoshoot idea.
    I quite liked Christopher's outfit. Otherwise, I just liked parts - Debi's pants, Marianne's top, Matthew's top. I didn't get Ben di Lisi's love of Kristy's outfit - it just looked like a bedraggled mess to me. Though I did like how she found that cool couch for her photo.
    I thought Matthew did a really good job, actually, which was surprising because they kept focussing on his lack of technique in the past couple of episodes. Though his top would have looked better if it was more fitted. He was wishywashy at the clothing depot and in the photoshoot, though, so I wasn't sure about his staying. Actually, it was kind of weird how they told only Matthew that he was safe and could leave the catwalk and then told the remaining 6 designers that they were among the best and worst. I would have thought they would have sent out three (or at least two) designers at the beginning, as they have done in the past. Or keep them all there and send them off one by one after talking about their outfits. It was just kind of weird for them to send Matthew skipping off first by himself.
    I find it really annoying how the judges stand around the board and talk about the outfits without saying whose designs they are talking about. And often they point to pictures but they don't show you what outfit they are pointing at. It's aggravating.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    I suppose they are meant to be keeping us in suspense, but it is annoying. I really didn't like Matthew's photo. The expression on her face didn't match the outfit at all. I wasn't keen on Marianne's "garment" (though I didn't mind the glue-gunned crystals), but thought that the way she set it up to be shot was brilliant. It might not have showcased the clothes, but editorial work often doesn't. Renalto's shot was very good as well. At least it shows that if nothing else, Marianne and Renalto would make good stylists.

I felt that Shakeel came out of it quite well, personality-wise. He seemed very relaxed, and quietly funny. Seems like a nice bloke. His stuff was too full of frippery for my taste, but always very well tailored. As you said, CCL, bits and bobs were good with the others. It annoyed me no end that they made them switch bags. It might have shown innovation, but I wanted to see what they would come up with. I loved Kirsty's colours, but (like the panel) found the green boob distracting. I want that sofa! Tres shabby chic.

Chris's was the best, and I think he or Kirsty will win. Debbie's too out there, Marianne does not seem to be a panel favourite, Renalto has something but to me his work often looks a little unfinished, Matthew is either brilliant or completely off. Kirsty and Chris have been consistently good.

As is often said about art: I don't know much about fashion. but I know what I like. In this case I did not like any of the outfits.So I would have been ok with any of them going home - I did not feel strongly about anyone last night (other than finding Renatto's chatter and Matthew's seeming indecision annoying).
    I do have a problem choosing a winner in a designing competition based on their abilities as an art director. It may be important to test their visual sense, but they can hardly expect all fashion designers to be able to direct photo shoots. I don't think you could get an art director, give him/her some material and tell them to design a outfit.
    Having said that- since it did seem to be the determining factor (they did not like Renatto's outfit, but chose him the winner), I don't understand why they liked Renatto's photo so much more than the others. Personally, I thought that Kirsty's photo was the best. I liked the contrast of colours.What I did not like about the dress was that patch, but in the photo it looked ok - maybe because you could not see that it was not symetrical. I also liked Christopher's photo more than the judges did. The one photo that I really did not like was Marianne's. Again I did not dislike the outfit the way the judges did, but the expression on the model's face was just scary.
    It may have been a good test of the designer's ability to improvise, but it really was not fair that they should have to depend upon someone's else's ability to select good material's to use. Kirsty could easily have gone home because Shakeel admitted that he had no feel for the project when he was picking his materials. Shakeel had to use curtains. In contrast, Renatto got luck with Christopher's choices. Is it really a fair test when some of the designers started with a handicap? Or do you think that the judges took that into account?
    I am not sure that Matthew can last much longer. Unless he gets more confidence, he is going to have another breakdown. I don't think that he is the one going home next week, because the preview made a point of Ben De Lisi giving him another talking to, so that would be too obvious. I do think that the favourites now are Christopher and Kristy.

+ Reply to Thread