+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L.A. Woman Chased by Fake Alien Sues Reality Show

L.A. Woman Chased by Fake Alien Sues Reality Show

L.A. Woman Chased by Fake Alien Sues Reality Show

29 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Kara Blanc thought she was being chased by a space alien on her way to a posh Hollywood party and was terrified. But the alien turned out to be an actor in a monster suit and the party was phony as well.

So now the Los Angeles grade school teacher and aspiring actress is fighting back, suing the new reality TV series "Scare Tactics," claiming she suffered severe emotional damage, court papers said on Tuesday.

Blanc sued the Sci-Fi Channel, the producers of "Scare Tactics" and two actors for scaring her so badly that she had to be hospitalized several times for "physical injuries" and "severe emotional distress," her lawsuit said.

Blanc said she was a "nonconsenting and unwitting victim" of the hidden camera show with a science fiction twist.

According to Blanc's lawsuit, she was sucked into a "Scare Tactic" episode last March 1 by actors Mathew Mertha and Travis Draft, who said they were taking her to "an exclusive Hollywood industry party at a desert resort" near Los Angeles.

On the way to the resort, the car that the trio were riding in stalled in a remote desert road and Mertha and Draft "feigned that they were being seriously physically injured ... or killed " by a costumed "alien," the lawsuit said.

Mertha and Draft allegedly told a terrified Blanc to run into a "dark, desert canyon area" to escape, the suit said.

Hidden cameras secretly recorded her reaction to the staged scenario. Neither Blanc nor her attorney could be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Blanc teaches dance, music, drama and performance art and is certified as a crisis counselor. She is also an aspiring actress who co-hosted a mock-documentary film with Draft.

Sci-Fi Channel spokeswoman Kat Stein declined comment on the case but said the premise of "Scare Tactics" was to film "friends setting their friends up with a prank."

Pending episodes feature campers who believe mythical mountain creature Big Foot attacks them, and limousine passengers who are chased by "government agents" when they stray into Area 51, a super-secret U.S. military facility at the center of UFO and conspiracy stories.

These shows are getting more and more dangerous they should be thanking God she didn't have an heart attack and died on the spot. This show is really stupid as that other new ScFi Channel show The Dream Team.

JR.
    An alien? How old is this woman, does she believe in the tooth fairy too? Ridiculous.

People need to get over themselves. "Oh my god, I got chased by a fake alien. How will I possibly be able to on and live a normal life again?" Anything for a chance at a quick buck I guess...
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Oh please I would have chased the alien back Sounds like just an excuse to get some money out of the situation LOL

It mite be an excuse but still it was dark and they had the car break down in middle of nowere everybody would be scared if that had happened to them.

FORT Fanatic
    I don't think it's an excuse. I think it was an inappropriate stunt; I really hate those types of shows that are all about trying to make people look stupid.

And Amandra, I bet I could put you out in the woods and get you so scared of something that doesn't exist you'd cry like a baby and run away. Most people in scary situations don't think rationally.

I actually have to side with this woman that what they did was wrong.

Now, I have said I side with her, but I certainly don't think she should win a multi million dollar lawsuit. She should get something, though just to teach them a lesson.

Even if you KNEW 100% that it was a human in a suit, what difference would it make? She was, except for her injured “friends”, ALONE in the desert. It might be scarier thinking it was a man.

IF she had signed up to have someone TRY to scare her, and she just didn't know how it was going to happen, then I wouldn't side with her at all.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Checking it all out!
    I am in total agreement with Jill and Cali. I don't find it a bit funny to scare someone just for the pleasure of it.
    Mizz Piper

I don't believe in aliens. But, like Cali, if I saw some guy in an alien suit kill my two friends and come after me...I would pee my pants. The fact that he dresses like a monster to commit his murders just makes him scarier... I can see the episode on Law & Order: the Alien Serial Killer.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread