+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBC: This One's For Mom

NBC: This One's For Mom

NBC: This One's For Mom

Fri Feb 14, 2:30 PM ET
    By Lia Haberman

Like a meddling family matchmaker NBC has stepped in to make sure Mom doesn't go lonely.

The Peacock net announced its intention to find suitable mates for single moms on Thursday as part of a spinoff from its dating reality series Meet My Folks, which debuted to strong ratings last summer. However, the second season has seen a slight ratings dip with an average 6.7 million viewers tuning in.

Sure to renew viewers' curiosity, Who Wants to Marry My Mom? features adult kids picking a suitor for their mother from a pool of potential candidates. The lucky fella then gets to go on a fantasy vacation to Hawaii with Mom, (while Jr. signs up for round-the-clock therapy for pimping his own mother).

Can it be a coincidence that the five-episode series airs this spring, right in time for Mother's Day? NBC reps are keeping mum on the fortuitous timing but released the following statement about the show's concept on Thursday, "The idea of kids choosing which mate is best for their single mom just seemed like a fun, natural extension of Meet My Folks," said NBC suit Jeff Gaspin.

In fact, the spinoff was spawned by a special upcoming episode of Meet My Folks called Meet My Kids, airing March 10. In the 90-minute episode, Barbara Haegele's three grown sons select a male travel mate to join their mother on a trip to Hawaii.

Singles competing to marry Mom (and win a ticket to paradise) will undergo the same type of grilling as occurs on the show's parental predecessor, which includes submitting to the show's signature lie-detector test and 'fessing up to embarrassing secrets from the past.

But because the same family is followed through five episodes, lucky Mom gets to pick from multiple partners instead of the usual three candidates.

Casting directors are still searching for lonely moms and their marriage-minded kids and will continue the hunt for that special family throughout February in a six-city search. People in Dallas, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin and Miami Beach who want to see Mom married off can check NBC's Website for casting details.

Mom isn't the only one in the family targeted by NBC. Just last week, the network announced it was searching for talented tots and seniors for two new reality series The Search for the Most Talented Kid in America and The Search for the Most Talented Senior in America.

Meanwhile, seeking absolutely no talent other than bronzed pecs, breasts and buns ABC launched its shameless search for America's sexiest couple last night with Are You Hot? Ten million viewers tuned in to oggle the flesh-fest. The first two babes selected by TV viewers will be revealed next Thursday night.

Tubers didn't have to wait to find out who was the first to be voted off CBS's Survivor: Amazon. After his poor Immunity Challenge performance and a self-righteous diatribe disguised as a pep rally the Tambaqui tribe wasted no time extinguishing the torch of petulant pretty boy Ryan Aiken.

Safe for now is the all-female Jaburu tribe, who proved that anything the men could do they could do better. Maybe if the Tambaqui had spent less time consulting the tribe's Magic 8 ball for their chances of sleeping with Heidi and Jenna they could have focused on the challenge at hand?

I didn't even finish reading, but had to comment. They are doing what they refer to as a spin off of MMF, yet somehow they can;t freakin' show us MMF???????
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I thought the same thing, Cali!

+ Reply to Thread