+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal or No Deal (U.S. and all international versions)

FORT Regular
    Fancy playing along yourself - it's based on the Aussie version but the concept is the same: http://www.geocities.com/dodgypa/deal.html

(WARNING - it's highly addictive!)

My son and I watched this show together last night - and we enjoyed it. I think perhaps because it was something new to watch, but I suspect it will get old fast, especially if they show it every night. That's what killed millionaire in my opinion. If it is on once a week, we will tune in -UNLESS it is up against one of my favorite reality shows (survivor or TAR or BB).

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    My son and I watched this show together last night - and we enjoyed it. I think perhaps because it was something new to watch, but I suspect it will get old fast, especially if they show it every night. That's what killed millionaire in my opinion. If it is on once a week, we will tune in -UNLESS it is up against one of my favorite reality shows (survivor or TAR or BB).
    I liked Millionaire because you can play a long with it. (I found out I'm really, really dumb
    I could handle this show once a week, but not every night. Way too slow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    The family members IMO don't seem to be very helpful. "NO! NO deal! But it is your decision. I would take it, but really, it's your decision".
    Figuring out when exactly to "take the deal" doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist. I'm just blown away that this is SO popular in other countries, and for how long too!
    I feel the same way. The family/friends being there just annoys the hell ou tof me. You'll see me yelling at the tv to "shut the hell up!"

And you're right-it doesn't take much brains to understand that not taking the deal would be beneficial in which circumstances. This show is like playing the lottery, except that you are guaranteed-just about, most likely-to win a good amount of money.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

The last girl to play was the spitting image of Uma Thurman!!

I can see this show getting picked up for more episodes, but the audience will quickly tire of the same formula repeated over and over and over and over and over and .... etc. etc. etc.

Just once I wanted to see Howie Mandel pick up the phone and say "No, I'm NOT switching long distance companies! NO DEAL!" and then hanging up. Or another time to say "Yes, Dear, I won't forget to pick up some milk." Use your sense of humor, man! That would salvage the show from becoming too repetitive.

It was okay but I don't think I can watch too much of it. I saw the Indian version a few days ago but I didn't like it that much. The American one is okay.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

I didn't understand at first how this show could interest me without the normal trivia questions or physical tasks, and only the "take the money or keep trying" concept. But after getting into the odds/statistics aspect, I came to like it a little more.

But my problem with the show is its pacing. It takes too long for each contestant between choices of suitcases. Show the contestant, show the crowd, Howie speaks, show the family, show the crowd, then show the contestant, then Howie announces a commercial, come back from commercial with a full review of what has happened to this point, ask all the family's opinions on what to do, show the crowd one last time, then a drama delay from the contestant making the decision, then finally the choice. It wears out my patience to sit through the show and I really hope they speed it up. They only completed one contestant on the first episode I watched, and that is not enough for an hour of television.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Ah yes. They chen-bots. I want my daughter to witness such role-models.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle View Post
    I didn't understand at first how this show could interest me without the normal trivia questions or physical tasks, and only the "take the money or keep trying" concept. But after getting into the odds/statistics aspect, I came to like it a little more.

But my problem with the show is its pacing. It takes too long for each contestant between choices of suitcases. Show the contestant, show the crowd, Howie speaks, show the family, show the crowd, then show the contestant, then Howie announces a commercial, come back from commercial with a full review of what has happened to this point, ask all the family's opinions on what to do, show the crowd one last time, then a drama delay from the contestant making the decision, then finally the choice. It wears out my patience to sit through the show and I really hope they speed it up. They only completed one contestant on the first episode I watched, and that is not enough for an hour of television.
    I'll admit after a few viewings that the drama of it works, but I can't really commend the odds/statistics, because in my observation almost every single game played out similarly--the big exception being the final game of the whole week.

Basically, in too many cases, a player gets down the last few amounts, with one large amount left (although mind you, even 50K can see "large" if the other amounts left are 5K or less), and the endgame is predictibly 1/4 chance, 1/3 chance, 50% chance.

What we only saw once or twice, I think, was an endgame with only large amounts--which creates an entirely different dynamic. In that lone case does the reason behind the banker bribes take on a change--otherwise its simply a distraction until the bribe gets large enough that it can't be ignored.

Or for that matter, although I missed one night was there a time when someone's last large amount got yanked and they had to accept petty pity money from the bank? The closest I recall was the case where the player was STILL left with 50K on the screen, and even though the bribes got pitifully small, they played the endgame out with the same pattern as if 1m were still up there, but with smaller bribe offers.

No deal.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Good show. I watch the Italian version on RAI International.
    http://www.international.rai.it/tv/p...eda.php?id=364

They only have models for the Friday night show. The rest are all contestants. You have to answer a simple question and the winner gets to play. I find that the Italian host(singer) is funnier than Howie. Howie need to throw in a couple of jokes here and there and he'll be fine.

+ Reply to Thread