+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Space Cadets: Updates on UK space hoax show

I wish I was watching this it must be hilarious.

They have just "launched into space"

Charlie, "actor" is whispering that he wants 250,000 not to tell!

I just can't believe how gullible these people are!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

There is a moth loose in front of the "craft" so they can't show them the projection of earth! To be honest this lot wouldn't even think anything was wrong!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

FORT Regular
    “It’s like we haven’t even left the ground” – yes, tonight Earth Orbiter 1 is set to take four British space tourists on an historic journey – to nowhere!

The opening credits roll with shots of an astronaut, of space and of the shuttle – but then the illusion is crashed when we see a window cleaner appear outside the shuttle's windows!

The show begins by looking at how we take a set from Space Cowboys and Apollo 13, Hollywood special effects expert Brick Price, and turn it into a working space simulator – with a mixture of hi-tech air bags and hydraulics having to make our cadets believe they are travelling through space.

This task has been made easier by a few lies dropped in few the lectures – such as weightlessness being counteracted by anti-gravity devices, and the shuttle taking off like an air-plane, rather than vertically into the air.

Dean Andrews, a leading Hollywood sound expert, is responsible for creating the sounds of space, from take off through to landing. Using a brand new technology that allows sound to travel around the shuttle, we find out the hi-tech method used to create the effect of the meteor shower the cadets will encounter – put a mic inside a van and through cat food against the van’s panelling!

Now, the first British space tourists is bound to create some press interest. So our cadets attend a press conference, but of course all the journalists are actors. They are also all wearing face masks to prevent the cadets catching any germs. Questions range from the obvious to the surreal, with “How did you feel when you found out?” and “What will you say when you arrive in space” to “Do you intend to have sex in space?” Billy doesn’t rule it out until Keri, the only girl in the shuttle, gives a definite no!

As the cadets won’t see the “shuttle” when they board their flight, Mission Commander James Campbell has a surprise for them late one night. As they travel to meet the guys at Mission Control, they make a short stop near a large warehouse where the nose cone of the shuttle is peering out the doors. Some clever lighting and smoke, plus the distraction of guards and officials around the entrance, disguise the fact that actually there is only a nose cone there. Getting nervously close to the truth, Billy and Paul both note it’s like something out of the movies!

They quickly move on to Mission Control where they see the people who will be responsible for guiding them from the ground, who all look like “boffins” according to Paul, including their boss Dean – who looks suspiciously like the sounds effect guy from earlier!

Now, as I said yesterday the rejected cadets remain at the base as if tonight’s take off doesn’t go to plan, somehow they will be convinced that four of them will go on a second mission. It’s time for our first four space tourists to leave though for their mission – or as Paul calls it, his “holiday in space”, and get kited out for launch. Once in their full space suits they leave the barracks to a strictly “no touching” farewell from the others and board the blacked out coach.

The cadets are taken to a covered area which leads to a staircase, where they are met by two men in white forensic style coats and face masks who’ll guide them down the long white gangway to the shuttle. One by one they enter – but disaster nearly strikes. As Keri enters her foot gets caught on the airlock – and one wrong movement could bring down the curtain hiding the simulator and reveal everything! Luckily, astronaut Drew is on hand to rescue her before Paul, Charlie and Billy join her in the cockpit and they are strapped in for takeoff.

Ipswich – we have a problem!

As the countdown reaches zero, the special effects sounds don’t kick in – leading to the pilots acting going into over drive. They abort the initial take-off and inform them checks are being carried out, with a reply from mission control a couple of minute later giving the OK. Thankfully, it’s second time lucky. This time the FX kick in, the simulator tilts and we have lift off. The first words – “This is ****ing amazing” – from Pail of course!

However, Charlie is now appearing to exploit his position. With the cadets unable to here each other over the noise, Charlie begins speaking into his mic – “Off to a shaky start, this is very authentic. I’m 70/30 in my belief we are actually on the ground. I think I’ll just go with the flow.”

He then asks the pilots “Are we there yet? Are we lost?” before going on to say into his mic “I’ll blow the whole gaffe unless you give me £250,000. No, I wouldn’t do such a thing!”

As the rocket booster is release and “Anti-gravity gadgets” turned on, Paul gets close to the truth – “It’s like we haven’t even left the ground, that’s how smooth it is.”

Now – the plan was to open the shutters on the space shuttles windows at the end of the live show and let the cadets look out into, well, the giant IMAX screen – but there was a problem – a UFO. Or should that be an IFO – as it was a moth that had sneaked into the hanger!

The music though throughout the launch really set the scene and if you didn’t know better, you’d believe it too!

So now Keri, Paul and Billy are in space – with actors Charlie, pilot Drew and the Russian pilot whose name I won’t even attempt to spell! Will they be rumbled – we’ll find out tomorrow, or if not before as it’s being streamed live on TV (and at the website) 24 hours a day!

They really are streaming this or just told the space cadets that they are on camera???

FORT Regular
    They are really streaming - it's standard practice for most UK reality shows to have a live stream which is generally broadcast overnight on the main network (C4) and most of the day on their spin-off channels (in this case E4) - with full 24 hour streaming usually available via Interactive television (pressing that RED button)

Anyway, on to tonight's show:

"I stand before Uranus, begging for admitance." It took our American "pilot" less than 24 hours to get that joke in!

Episode 7 begins with a recap of last night's launch - without the background music so we here what they heard. It's panic stations backstage when the sound system fails on the initial take off, but with our actor pilots remaining calm, a second attempt is successful - but the shuttle shutters remain closed as despite the team thinking they have every possible problem with the 124 computers and 7x20m screen used to create the illusion, an invading moth scuppers there plans. After all, when it lands on the screen on a projection of earth it appears 600m wide!

The cadets are amazed how smooth entering space was, but the realisation of where they are, or think they are, is written all over their faces. The shutters remain shut a while longer as the pilots release the cadets from their seats and guide them around their shuttle.

At the back is a laboratory for experiments - which the cadets believe are commissioned by companies and universities from across the world. The mid-deck contains the shower, toilet and sleeping area - while the front is the cockpit, with the seating area for the cadets and right and the front, sectioned off from the cadets, the pilots area. The cadets believe it's sectioned off to prevent them touching any buttons - but in fact it's to prevent them getting too close to the windows and look out to the warehouse floor!

Relaxing in the back of the shuttle talk turns to UFOs, with Paul saying there has to be life somewhere considering the millions of stars and galaxies. Pilot Drew says he hasn't seen anything strange himself, though fellow astronauts he knows are convinced they have. Talk turns to Roswell, which is branded a hoax by Billy - eventually bringing up the subject of the man on the moon and if Neil Armstrong really did walk on the moon. Drew tells them a story about this bloke who follows Neil Armstrong round for years saying he didn't really go to the moon - which ultimately annoyed him so much he eventually decked him. This is actually false - it was Buzz Aldrin!

With the moth captured it's time for the money shot as the shutters are opened and the cadets get to look down on earth. The look on their faces is classic, and in the "diary" entries they are lost for words at how amazing the site is - even actor Charlie who knows it's actually a projection on a screen!

At this point it's easy to feel a bit guilty about our cadets being fooled - but an interview with the friends and family soon points that out. Paul is described as a daily practical joker, while Billy and Keri's friends describe even the experience of believing they are in space as a once in a lifetime experience. Host Johnny Vaughan confesses he's actually jealous of them - before asking them how they'll think they take it when the hoax is revealed and whether he'll need Val's protection on the night! We are told all of the nine cadets will actually get to go to Russia - and to experience zero-gravity in the "Vomit Comit".

Now, since getting on board the actors have been seeing how far they can push things. The Russian cosmonaut (who is actually English!) talks of his one and only experience with an English girl who found reading Harry Potter after watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too much - and burst into tears in a cafe.

Drew won it though with a classic Uranus gag - telling them Uranus is the god of Space and he must be appeased. With the left hand in the air, right hand on the heart, he gets the cadets chanting:

"God of Space, I stand before you, begging for admittance. I stand before Uranus, begging for admittance."

They later go on to actually tell them they'll be landing in Suffolk by telling them if the can't land in Crymsk, there are alternative locations in Morocco and on the Suffolk coast!

A few nights ago we were promised details of a possible romance amongst our Space Cadets - and tonight we find out it's Billy and Keri. As they strip off to go to bed, they continuosly flirt with each other - leading to host Johnny asking whether they'll join the "124 miles high club" - or to put it more precisicly - "the three foot of the ground in a simulator in a warehouse in Suffolk club".

Tomorrow, the cadets perform their first experiments, do some promotional work for Russian companies and experience a bit of mid-space turbulance.

Find out more and keep up to date at http://www.channel4.com/spacecadets

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Good stuff. I wish I could see this in person, but your recaps are entertaining enough on their own Can't wait for the next installment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brekkie Boy View Post

A few nights ago we were promised details of a possible romance amongst our Space Cadets - and tonight we find out it's Billy and Keri. As they strip off to go to bed, they continuosly flirt with each other - leading to host Johnny asking whether they'll join the "124 miles high club" - or to put it more precisicly - "the three foot of the ground in a simulator in a warehouse in Suffolk club".

That is just so cruel. HA HA HA HA

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy View Post
    Good stuff. I wish I could see this in person, but your recaps are entertaining enough on their own Can't wait for the next installment.
    I discovered that you can see it in person - just click the link that Brekkie Boy gave us. All you have to do is register at the channel 4 site, and you can watch video clips and the live (I think) streaming video - all for free. Not like our dumb CBS that charges for BB streams. It was great to see the set-up that they have.

Thanks, Brekkie Boy!

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Okay now that is just too cool! I am going to check that out. You're right, CBS is dumb for charging for BB streams. I remember watching BB1 on streams for free. BB is huge in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong) so if they have the streams for free, we should too. Anyway, back to Space Cadets. I can't wait to see them in their "shuttle" experiencing turbulence! *evil laugh*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast