+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Muppet Reality Show In the Works

Muppet Reality Show In the Works

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-10-25-muppets_x.htm

LOS ANGELES (AP) The Muppets could come back to primetime television with their own reality show. ABC has ordered a script and five episode outlines for America's Next Muppet, in which viewers may join in choosing the newest member of the puppet family that includes Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, a network spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The premise has the ring of such shows as American Idol or America's Next Top Model, in which the audience picks potential new stars.

ABC is part of the Walt Disney Co., which purchased the Muppets franchise from the Jim Henson Co. in 2004 and the right to use the characters in its theme parks, movies, TV shows and retail products. The ABC television movie The Muppets' Wizard of Oz aired earlier this year.

The late Jim Henson's Muppets got their first regular, widespread exposure on PBS' Sesame Street starting in 1969.

The syndicated The Muppet Show aired from 1976-81 and was seen in more than 100 countries. The characters also briefly starred in Muppets Tonight, which aired for four months in 1996 as part of ABC's primetime lineup.

Henson's puppets moved to the big screen in 1979 with The Muppet Movie, followed by movies including The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan.
    I freaking LOVE this idea.

ETA: I have no idea why my link isn't showing up. Its on the Life section of www.usatoday.com.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love the Muppets. This could potentially be really funny, I think.

Seeing if Stargazer's link works for me:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-muppets_x.htm
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Great idea! Statler and Waldorf could make Simon Cowell look like a pussycat!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

My daughter loves Kermit, yet she's scared of him at the same time. (Future goth kid I guess?) I bet we'll watch this together!

+ Reply to Thread