+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Re: Wife Swap

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3309484;
    At one point, home school mom made the statement that a lot of home-schooled kids go to college at an earlier age than other kids that go to regular school.

I wish school mom would have asked home-school mom what the 18-year-old son's plans were. Basically all she said was that he was artistic and didn't need to learn calculus.

They showed very little of the oldest son, other than his dancing around at the beginning and sitting in on some of those truly enlightening dinner conversations! What is he going to do with the rest of his life? College? Street-corner performer?
    That is the case if you are actually teaching your kids. I had the episode on but I kept dozing in and out but it seemed like they didn't really do any actual schoolwork from what I saw. My Aunt home schooled all of her grandchildren and every single one of them except 1 went to college at 15 and had a 4.0 GPA but that's because she pushed them really hard. One of them is a part-time teacher (stay at home mom the rest of the time), another is a college professor of Psycology (he is only 25) and another is an Eagle Scout (about to graduate from a small Christian high school at 17) and another is a missionary currently in Kenya (a very young petite girl so it's a bit scary!). So, as you can see they are all very accomplished. I don't know if they would have been pushed that hard in public school because even though they're all clearly very bright and they all did go to high school it's a small Christian school with only 5 in a graduating class I don't know if they would have done quite as well.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Yes, I think that a lot of home schooled kids advance faster than regular school. If done properly, why wouldn't they given the small "class" size? I just don't think this mom was really doing it "correctly" (for lack of a better word). I don't know a lot about home schooling but I would love to hear from someone who did. It seems to me that someone would be keeping track of the learning (or not learning in this case).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Your local school system keeps track of it, I thought, but I'm not exactly sure.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Home schooled students are allowed but not required to take the state tests at the local schools. I don't know of any regular tests that they must take to ensure actual schooling is taking place. I do not have any experience with home schooling, as a public school teacher, so anyone knows please inform! I also think it differs from state to state.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure that there are tests that the state requires home schoolers to take to ensure that the kids are learning something!

I know that a lot of kids who are home schooled often meet up with other home schoolers and they get to go on field trips.....like, maybe, to an amusement park!.....once in a while. Mostly the ones I have heard about do go to museums, libraries, theatres, etc.

I still have no clue what the oldest boy is doing with his life. Other than prancing around in his artsy outfits and making mom a t-shirt, what kind of job does he have? He is 18, IIRC, and I didn't hear mom say that he is in college or out there in the world working to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3309815;
    I'm pretty sure that there are tests that the state requires home schoolers to take to ensure that the kids are learning something!

I know that a lot of kids who are home schooled often meet up with other home schoolers and they get to go on field trips.....like, maybe, to an amusement park!.....once in a while. Mostly the ones I have heard about do go to museums, libraries, theatres, etc.

I still have no clue what the oldest boy is doing with his life. Other than prancing around in his artsy outfits and making mom a t-shirt, what kind of job does he have? He is 18, IIRC, and I didn't hear mom say that he is in college or out there in the world working to make a living.
    Maybe he built their "time machine"

LOL, there you go! I will sleep better tonight knowing that he is, in fact, a contributing member of society now.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In some states, the home schoolers are even starting to play on sports teams with the public schoolers.

Seems like the home schoolers would be given curriculum of what they need to know/learn, and eventually be tested on it. How they learn it/when they learn it is up to whomever is teaching them, and how quickly they want to progress.

I'm just thinking about what would make sense.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Remember Stephen Fowler? The "sweetheart" from who managed to insult everything from her weight, education level and even the mid west! There's an article on him on Yahoo today titled "Worst Husband Ever"

Husbands Behaving Badly - Yahoo! TV Blog

I figured people thought he was a supersize jerk, as did I, but I didn't realize he took the crown!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Stephen Fowler is definitely one of the most nastiest human beings I've seen on tv, I don't know if it was just the editing, but he really came off as such an ugly person! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way!

+ Reply to Thread