+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Mav, was it the chemicals on the toothbrushes that got you? I was skeptical up till that point and then I just thought, oh hell no. No way would the show let someone endanger a kid.
    Muduh, what got me was the very first post. #491 on page 25.

Hard to believe someone when they contradict themselves in the first post of "information and clarification" of themselves.
    She claimed that she (quote) "run our three business". Then, maybe 2 sentences later..she's going on about being a hectic mom, always on the go. Racing off to school meetings, her job, and her husband's business. (quote) "Which there is only one.
    There are many things in other posts, but you asked me "what got me". So, I've just quietly read..shaking my head... until the chemical accusation was brought up. Puhlease. Yeah, the other mother said that they don't NEED white teeth, so she wanted to chemical them up!?

Hey, if it's all true. Wow. But I'm not believing it. :nono

redjdv, by no means am I am expert, I'm just a prolific poster, posting good/bad/indifferent thoughts & opinions about these reality shows I'm addicted to watching.

As for whether contestants come on the Fort and lie? I'm not qualified to say whether it happens a lot or not..or if they really truly ARE lying. I can only have gut feelings about what I'm reading, and make my own educated guess to the validity.
    If you read through the posts in this thread, you'll notice that we do get a lot of Wife Swap participants who'll come & try to set the record straight, fix the negative public opinion of them, or to plain ole... lie.

The beauty of this site is that we can decide what to accept or not to accept, and we are able to comment about what we see on these shows, and that includes the people.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

alohatanning, I'm at a loss as to which types of chemicals could possibly land on a toothbrush, and I'm chemically sensitive and thought I was up on all that. (I actually use a type of clay toothpaste myself!)

Tattoo mom did not sleep in your house? It seemed like she did. Your last two posts left me confused. This is also the first I've heard that you did not sleep in the other house.

As to the recent show of Wife Swap - well, the 'neat' mom seemed OK and to genuinely care for the other family's kids. The dad wasn't too bad in the messy house, he just seemed to be in a rut. The mom of the messy house made the bad mistake of wanting to be her kids' playmate, not their parent. I think the oldest daughter in that family almost felt pressured to be wild rather than it being a true reflection of her.

When the daughter was 'wild' the mom giggled with her and gave her all kinds of positive attention. I wonder if she wasn't 'wild' and entertaining the mom with her stories about being wild, if she would've been just as ignored as the younger daughter (who's too young to be 'wild' yet). That household made me really sad. See how quickly the 20 yr. old jumped at the chance for some boundaries and treating herself with more respect. I hope she keeps that up.

What bothers me sometimes about the anti-religion parents on these shows is they always tell the religious families they are 'suppressed' or 'do not have full choices'. Yes they do - they CHOSE to be religious and/or to not be wild. Miles was great the way he said almost exactly that. People really do CHOOSE to have some restrictions in their life (religion or discipline). It builds character. I felt the suppressive home was actually the messy home. The parents were not available to their children, unless they were regaling the mom with stories she could live vicariously through. I felt the Messy Mom felt her kids SHOULD be running wild. If her oldest child had wanted to not be that way, would mom have ignored her? I think yes.

When Messy Mom would not even drive her little girl to the school door, I felt sad for the girl. That little girl was so wilted all the time. I mean of the two households, whose children really seemed happier? Messy House's Kids all kind of seemed lonely, to me. Oh, and Messy Mom burning the Neat family diary (that's what it amounted to) was just WRONG. She could've locked it up for a week, instead.

I hope Messy Mom backs off the 'wild child' thing and I hope both Messy parents there stay more involved with their kids.
    Last edited by Brandy; 04-14-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Sexy Longhorn Girl 21longhorngal's Avatar
    I agree with the people who dont believe who this woman really says she is, anyone can come on here and say they were on the show and by the way spell check works wonders.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    religious mom reminded me a lot of susan sarandon in the movie "the banger sisters" ... who just happened to to be a former groupie.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    She reminded me of Sister Jane from high school who had us open every class by singing about the "flowers and the daffodils". Good grief.........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

LKH
    I don't get it. The dads always throw little fits when their lives get changed a little bit. Did they not sign up for this? Did they not think they would be expected to change? What is wrong with these guys? And poor, poor etiquette dad. Ketchup! Scarred for life!!! OHMYGOD, his kid has a belly button! Life is over!

On the other hand, if the other woman's kids came into my place of business, I would call the cops. I really have trouble believing she could let it get that far.

L

That woman (Sloppy Mom) screamed "issues". Mentioning one's abusive childhood to a virtual stranger is a clue. (If it is that close to the surface, I mean.) If she even THINKS her raising her kids is controlled by her own childhood that is a big red flag that should send her running for counseling. ASAP.

Why do such parents think letting children roam like wild animals is all that makes a child 'happy'? Her sons lit up during the time Polite Mom spent there. Lit UP. Even the Messy (Rude?) Dad later tried to talk Rude Mom into going along with not being "Goops" (Lol).

Seeing how happy those boys were when the kitchen table was laundry-mess free, broke my heart a little. The poor kids. I did not feel even at the start that those kids were 'bad' (unlike the occasional spawn I see on Supernanny) - just that they literally did not know anything different.

Like "Horror Mom" on another episode, Messy/Rude Mom seemed to encourage and give positive interaction when her boys were rude. She was not raising sons so much as getting back at whoever she's still mad at from her childhood. Making your kids live in a pigsty is not a loving thing to do and it's one thing to do it and yet another to be deluded about why.

Those boys really did seem much happier with some structure and they even seemed to stand taller in their nice clothes. I hope Rude Mom keeps up what Polite Mom implemented. If she really wants to make it about her SONS being happy (and not her) she will.

Oh and her squirting ketchup was horrendous - it stinks. Ever gotten ketchup in your hair?! (packet gone awry let's say) It smells awful. Plus those are some nice shirts ruined. No excuse. You don't 'loosen' people up by abusing them. Also, I really hope that plate she broke was not part of their actual china set. Like the mom that burned the family "Brain" or diary, those things were rude and pointless.

LKH
    I've had ketchup spilled, and in my hair. Not a thrill, but not worth having a fit over, either.

I agree about the destruction of property. I have trouble believing that would be tolerated.

In tonight's ep, while I think overprotective mom has serious control issues and needs to lighten up before the kids divorce her, I also think the other mom deciding the girls were going on their first date was a bit out of line. That's the kind of thing I would hate to miss with my kids. I'd be heartbroken if I found out that my kids got to do milestone things when I wasn't there to share. (And by share, I do NOT mean going along and making sure the boyfriend washed his hands - geez!).

L

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I know what you mean by wanting to be there for milestones but, previous to the swap, these people might have died from old age before they would be willing to allow them to have milestones!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I liked all the people in this swap, really. The Rv family did seem a bit fearful. The family all sleeping in one room, I'm not sure those kids would have fit in much later in life... what if they marry someone who's really not cool with the future kids sleeping in the room with mom and dad (and each other?!). The older kids are really too old to be doing that. Well the younger ones too, that just seemed odd to me. It's not like they're not just down the hall!

Also to put an infant in the bed with bigger people - they can get crushed easily. You can't tell when you sleep if you are rolling over onto them and suffocating them! Infants die all the time like that. So they REALLY shouldn't do THAT.

The bit at the very end with Rv mom being on the date 'with' the kid and her daughter. That's one thing (the kid didn't seem to mind) but then to waltz up and SNIFF the boy's hands and put Purell on his hands! No, no, no. I hope that was just the producers dreaming that one up.

The Rv dad really seemed to respect his swap-wife after that first little blow-up. How does that woman manage to get everyone to do things her way?! I guess that is why she's successful in business?! Lol... I mean they started out diametrically opposed.

The "Mr Mom" dad really acted like a spoiled brat. At least he was able to vocalise his feelings at the very end, as to why. "I was angry because I missed my wife." But he was not very nice to his swap-wife. He couldn't go without Tv for a week?! And the cheerleader teen crying for missing school for a week. I know small things seem huge at that age but still. A week?

I wouldn't want to leave an infant at day care either. I didn't see the point in some of that, since Rv mom will not leave them once she gets back anyway. And I do use Purell sometimes too but - wiping down the whole cart is a bit extreme. Someone has to handle the stuff on the shelves and when it gets rung up! All that's in the cart basket is that same food. I can see wiping the handles though, especially during cold/flu season.

Really neither family was that extreme when you got right down to it. Just a bit stuck in their ways, and the Rv family mostly seemed very loving but fearful and a bit poor. I am glad they got new beds for the kids. I hope the realtor family spends more time together.

Has this show jumped the shark? I wish it did not try to make everyone look so extreme. I'd rather see things more truthfully portrayed.

+ Reply to Thread