+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Quote Originally Posted by LKH View Post

Question, though... doesn't metal dad look an awful lot like other dads we've seen? I'm wondering if he's recycled?

L
    I was going to come here AND POST THE EXACT THOUGHT!!

On one of these shows, remember the very animal friendly woman who was sent to the hunting family? She cried seeing the mounts of the dead animals on the new family's wall, she went off at the end when the other mom revealed she had booted the pets out of the house, etc.??

I SWEAR this dad is the same guy.

Well, tonight's show was a rerun, maybe that's why he looked familiar.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

For some reason only one of my TiVos tapes Wife Swap. Gonna have to wait to (fully) comment til I can see this new one. I saw part of it before I had to come out here, and start writing my Easter cards. I get into that type of stuff, Lol

alohatanning, thanks for answering the questions that you did. Especially on a Sidekick. I don't have one but I've seen them and the screens are small right? I can compare it to a web tv, and typing on that tiny keyboard is a pain!

So the goth people from last ep are Christians also? When I saw them setting up the Bible Belt mom as rigid and hypocritical and the goth mom as well, goth stereotype, I thought, oh great, another show portraying the Christian as judgmental and awful. I think the producers egged her on and she was trying to make with the funny.

Problem is a lot of people buy into those stereotypes and then I hear stuff like that even more often. A lot of people out there hear "Christian" and quickly think it's some extremist who hates everyone not like them, judges everyone else as going to hell, etc. and is obnoxious & in their face about it, to boot. (Of course they'd never know if the quiet ones are Christian or not!) I just get real tired of negative stereotypes of Christians on television. The Sopranos just pulled the same thing, with its Pastor Bob (or whatever), last ep.

It bugged me how Bible Mom talked her own daughter down like that. Looks like a pretty good kid to me - she does every chore she's told to do and it's the two males sitting on their bums looked like to me! Bible Mom needs to know what an actual, rebellious teen is really like. She'd kiss the ground "Bratney" walked on.

Oh - about the Circus Sideshow/Tattoo family last time? Both parents had studs under their skin. That's what the Tattoo mom's stars were. Shapes under her skin. Not tattoos. Those badboys are embedded underneath
    Last edited by Brandy; 04-04-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I think the goth mom was angry because, as she said, it was "presumtuous"(sp?) of them to put a bible on her bed. If I walked in and found that on my bed I'd be PISSED. I think people should keep their beliefs (which really are a matter of opinion) to themselves. If I want/need a bible I'll ask for one.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Oh - about the Circus Sideshow/Tattoo family last time? Both parents had studs under their skin. That's what the Tattoo mom's stars were. Shapes under her skin. Not tattoos. Those badboys are embedded underneath
    Actually, I think that tattoo Mom's design on her chest was scarification, not an implant. Either she was branded (like with hot metal) or she had the design cut into her skin. Since tattooing has become so common (therefore less rebellious) scarification has become the new big thing for "outsiders." Whatever floats their boat, I guess.

I missed the last episode. Do they ever rerun them through the week or late at night?

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar
    Anyone who Tivo'd or taped it, check out the very end when they're all sitting around the table. My brother and I immediately noticed this: Watch Punk Dad's water goblet. In one shot, it's completely full (this is when he's turning it by its stem); in the next, it's completely empty; then it's a quarter full; then half full. They do some weird-ass editing on that show.
    "Don't piss off the chicken gods. :nono" -Stargazer (on Lydia, Steph and Danni eating the sacrificial chicken on Survivor)

Either she was branded (like with hot metal) or she had the design cut into her skin.
    It couldnt be scarification because the star shape was 3-D. Scars would be indented into her skin. Scarification is just digging a blade in the skin into some type of design. The stars she had stood OUT in three dimensions. Also, her skin looked unbroken to me.

Just how I saw it. Reason I make a distinction is, pretty impossible to get rid of scars, but the implants could be removed should she ever want to do so.

I don't think they rerun these episodes the same week like Bravo does with its hit shows, no. I really think all channels should do that.

If I walked in and found that on my bed I'd be PISSED. I think people should keep their beliefs (which really are a matter of opinion) to themselves.
    Jafo's: Bible mom may not have meant any 'harm' by it but could've seen it as a way to wish the person well. I can imagine her thinking she was blessing the other person and giving them something good. There's a fine line between being convinced something is good and keeping yourself from sharing that with others, though. Kind of a catch 22 because people tend to only do that with things they're really up about and to some it's a failing to not BE up enough about their religion to want to be open and/or talk about it and/or even convince others to. It's even a verse in the Bible that some take literally. "Go forth and preach the gospel". (Not all Christian denominations interpret that literally. Was she an Evangelical?)

So it depends what denomination she was, but, she could have simply been following that edict... I did not see it as having malice toward her possible house guest, for all she knew it was a fellow Christian (and oddly she was right). I saw no harm in it. If I visited a household and they left another religion's book on my bed I'd know I was in THEIR house, and expect their books to be around... and might even peek in it out of curiosity.

I would not see it as a mandate that I had to convert to stay there. Sometimes I think people need to relax a little bit.

Hotels have Bibles in the rooms usually... the hotel chain isn't trying to convert anyone, either. It's just a tradition.

FORT Newbie

hello

For some reason only one of my TiVos tapes Wife Swap. Gonna have to wait to (fully) comment til I can see this new one. I saw part of it before I had to come out here, and start writing my Easter cards. I get into that type of stuff, Lol

alohatanning, thanks for answering the questions that you did. Especially on a Sidekick. I don't have one but I've seen them and the screens are small right? I can compare it to a web tv, and typing on that tiny keyboard is a pain!

So the goth people from last ep are Christians also? When I saw them setting up the Bible Belt mom as rigid and hypocritical and the goth mom as well, goth stereotype, I thought, oh great, another show portraying the Christian as judgmental and awful. I think the producers egged her on and she was trying to make with the funny.

Problem is a lot of people buy into those stereotypes and then I hear stuff like that even more often. A lot of people out there hear "Christian" and quickly think it's some extremist who hates everyone not like them, judges everyone else as going to hell, etc. and is obnoxious & in their face about it, to boot. (Of course they'd never know if the quiet ones are Christian or not!) I just get real tired of negative stereotypes of Christians on television. The Sopranos just pulled the same thing, with its Pastor Bob (or whatever), last ep.

It bugged me how Bible Mom talked her own daughter down like that. Looks like a pretty good kid to me - she does every chore she's told to do and it's the two males sitting on their bums looked like to me! Bible Mom needs to know what an actual, rebellious teen is really like. She'd kiss the ground "Bratney" walked on.

Okay actually they are silicone implants...!! I know that sounds really funny since they were AGAINST their appearance but I found them to be more so than my family.. We care how we look, however we WOULD never alter our appearance. WEll .. WE do tan. SO other than that nothing.. LOL

It couldnt be scarification because the star shape was 3-D. Scars would be indented into her skin. Scarification is just digging a blade in the skin into some type of design. The stars she had stood OUT in three dimensions. Also, her skin looked unbroken to me.
    Scarification makes scars which stand out...it isn't just digging a blade into the skin, it's keeping the wound open long enough to cause a significant (3 dimensional) scar. If you just cut yourself, it would heal and the mark would eventually fade...Branding also leaves 3 dimensional scars.

But alohatanning said they are actually silicon implants, so I guess that clears that up.

FORT Newbie

Sleeping in someone's home

Alohatanning, I really thought you were great.

My question is how is it to sleep in some stranger's house for 2 weeks? That would be totally creepy. I'd be afraid the husband would come on to me or like tattoo dad, maybe get violent or something. And what if the other wife hits on your husband while she's over at your own house?

It would just be too weird to sleep over for 2 weeks like that. Other than that, I would want to be on the show too!

+ Reply to Thread