+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    The "21st Century" mom was pretty arrogant about the supposed superiority of her kids' education, whereas meanwhile her son thought the Middle Ages was "thousands" of years ago, and he couldn't even hold his eating utensils and eat a plate of food properly, which did not match her notions about her kids' supposed ability to get along in the world.
    Yes I agree, I found her to be pretty arrogant too. She seemed to be about modern times but she clearly didn't spend much time with her children. It's fine for them to have friends but they grow up very fast and just supplying them with modern toys isn't enough.

The back talk issue was iffy to me, meaning each household is different. I think she clearly has a tougher reign on her kids about expressing themselves than the medieval family. I think she could have cut him a little slack, not to be disrespected but understand he may not realize he's going too far.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Well, he understood it right after he went too far!

But you should also talk to people in the way in which you expect to be spoken to.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    They only took what they liked from medieval times and left the stuff that didn't fit the lifestyle they were trying to create. I think if that family actually tried to be historically acurate they would have a collective mental break.
    Exactly... which begs the question why are they sticklers about any of it then. Like Medieval Times (as seen in Flavor of Love and Cable Guy) dining establishment, forbidding silverware but serving Coca Cola in plastic glasses. haha

Quote Originally Posted by hotrocks View Post
    Yes this was sad and I thought the man was KING, but I could
    tell who really wore the pants in that family..
    By the end I think the kids wanted to start real school,
    that's not going to happen...
    It seemed to me that the wife wanted all of her family to
    herself
    Yes, that was sad. Just because she got scared by those unruly public school kids when she tried to substiitute teach does not mean that school would be scary for her kids. They are separate human beings from her, but she is enmeshed with them. The teens clearly said they wanted to go to school, so she should loosen the apron strings and let them do it. I'm surprised that the school district did not get involoved if any of them saw the show and how little time was actually spent on learning the subjects that they were supposed to be learning.

The dad in that family was also unrealistic, in that he was absent most of the time and then dissed his daughter's "phone skills" when he was the one who never gave her a phone or a chance to be around other kids where she might have picked up those skills. How stupid to comment that he thought all 13-year-old girls know that stuff. Where does he think they learn it from? It does not make his daughter defective, just deprived, and that is his fault, not hers. He shouldn't say derogatory things about his own daughter when he made her that way. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't think "back talk," for the most part, has any appropriate place coming out of childrens' mouths, working class or not. You must teach children to respect authority and their elders
    Please find and read the article I cited before jumping to conclusions. It does not talk about "Jerry Springer style" back talk but about mutual respect in that kids as well as adults in the upscale homes have a say without being shut up constantly and having their point of view dismissed as "just kids who have no right to speak up to the grown people." That is how they learn to be articulate and have confidence that their views will be heard, which leads to a feeling of ease and success later lin life when working within "the system."

The study also showed how the working class mentality dismissed and demeaned the kids' activities, which leads to lack of success later in life as well. I am thinking of how that mom refused to do the belly dancing with her daughter when the girl needed to have her activites affirmed and most importantly to have her mother affirm her worth by spending the time with her, which would have instilled more confidence in the daughter.

In their own ways, both families ignored the kids (I just posted on how I think not listening to the "medieval" teens' desire to be sent to school was a mistake), but the "21st Century" mom was rude about it. As the so-called adult, she should not have let the teen get a rise out of her and start trying to shout him down.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY View Post
    I think she could have cut him a little slack, not to be disrespected but understand he may not realize he's going too far.
    I agree, if she were able to be more reasonable, it could have been an opportunity to guide the teen by showing him how the way he expresses himself affects how his ideas are heard, rather than just letting her issues be triggered and attempting to shut him down completely.
    Last edited by Harvest; 03-16-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Medieval: pillaging, plundering, the plague. Good times. They didn't call it the Dark Ages for nothin'. Why the hell would anyone want to revisit that? Not that they actually are, I mean they have electricity and indoor plumbing and a car. Their whole lifestyle is a farce. Just when I think the producers will run out of nutjobs to show us.....

The medieval son was downright rude. I'm glad Lisa stood up to him like she did. And his sister's dubious phone skills - sad, just sad. Did anyone notice when she said "I have lots of friends. They're just on vacation right now." Uhhh-kaaay. Whatever you need to tell yourself.

I really liked Lisa's husband, Julice. He knew the whole medieval thing was a crock, but he went along with it anyway because that's what they signed up for. The one thing that family needed was more togetherness, and it seems they're working on that.

I was really surprised at the rowdy classrooms they showed in both Ohio and Florida. I think I smell a little interference by the producers there. :nono
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

eta - I hope its ok to post this. I found this on my ISP's home page a while ago :

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - A former participant on the ABC reality TV show "Wife Swap" was arrested for allegedly using his father's identity obtain a luxury car, loans and goods worth $100,000, authorities said on Thursday.

Edward Heiss Jr., 50, allegedly used his father's identity to get credit cards and buy a $77,000 BMW, State Police Capt. Stephen Lynch said. Investigators said the spending spree began in 2004 and continued for more than a year.

Heiss, of Warwick, was charged with identify theft and obtaining money under false pretenses. He turned himself in to State Police on Wednesday night and was released after posting $5,000 bail. An arraignment has not been scheduled.

Heiss' phone number is unlisted, and he could not be reached for comment. His father notified Warwick police about the alleged identify theft last year.

Heiss appeared last fall on the show, which has two families switch wives for two weeks.

On ABC's Web site, Heiss's wife, Susan, said her family lives in a 5,100-square-foot custom-built house. She said her husband is impulsive with money _ and once spent $1,500 on a horse buggy for the front yard.

Does anyone remember the circumstances of his Wife Swap switch?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    ABC.com
    Click the ABC link above..it has all the information on any of the families that have been featured. This episode's air date was 11/07/2005. Apparently, Ed Jr wasn't featured on the show.

jengage, be sure to edit your post and include the original site where that information was posted (for veracity).
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Oh, and while I was there..since I KNOW Qboots won't let her internet typing fingers do the walkin'... I will post the exact information she's been looking for! At the end of the application..it asks, "Do you have any friends who you think would be good for the show? (or something like that) Then it asks for names and phone numbers! I would DIE, literally DIE if Wife Swap called us up because a "friend" said we'd be great for the show.

ABC.com

WE ARE SEARCHING FOR FAMILIES FOR OUR HIT SHOW WIFE SWAP

Wife Swap is the exciting new series that invites you behind the walls of America's homes and lets you experience how families run their lives.

Each episode involves two families and a fun twist: the Moms of each household swap places for ten days!

If you are a family unit (two parents and children) who love an adventure,
    Click here for the Wife Swap Application!

Copy and paste the application into the body of an email and send to:
    families@rdfusa.com

or

Print and fill out the application and send it to:
    Wifeswap
    PO Box 1879
    New York, NY 10116

You can also reach us by phone at 1-800-509-5638.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I remember that episode! I remember thinking that I'd never seen an adult male that small (Mr. Kestral)!! At the end, when the couples reunited, Mrs. Kestral ran up to and jumped onto her husband and knocked his teeny, tiny arse down!! And she was small, herself! That was the first man I'd ever seen hit the ground!

+ Reply to Thread