+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I saw the 21st century family had began to spend more family time together, but I missed if the midevil ones got more into the 21st century and stayed there.
    Most important, did the midevil kids get to stay in public school??
    The commentator said that the only rule that the midevil family kept....was having "company over during dinner".. which, basically is that ONE girl that the daughter met. How sad. I don't even think she was able to keep the cell phone.
    The midevil freakmom said that they're learning all they need by being homeschooled. She also said something to the effect of.."this show just showed them that their lifestyle is perfect and they're happy with it".

So, no.. nothing changed for them.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

That's just awful. Another example of parents doing things for themselves and their control issues rather than what is best for the kids. At their age, those kids should have a say in what they want to do...... thanks Maveno!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    You're welcome!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Damn. I didn't get this episode. Our ABC affiliate has been airing Billy Graham specials in that time slot. I'll try and catch it on CTV at 5 pm Saturday. If I remember.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

The "21st Century" mom was pretty arrogant about the supposed superiority of her kids' education, whereas meanwhile her son thought the Middle Ages was "thousands" of years ago, and he couldn't even hold his eating utensils and eat a plate of food properly, which did not match her notions about her kids' supposed ability to get along in the world.

As for how disrespectful she was to the son in the other house, I recently read an article on working class families who don't allow their kids to "back talk" and how it affects their kids' chances later in life: Both Sides of Inequality by David Brooks, New York Times. Sorry I can't provide a link; they only let you on the web site if you subscribe and my local paper that reprinted the article does not have it on their web site. But basically it describes a long-term study that showed how families that don't allow "back talk" are not preparing their kids to succeed in the business world, where they lack confidence and feel pushed around and tongue-tied.

I don't think these shows are as helpful to the participants who are so sure they have nothing to learn from the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    The commentator said that the only rule that the midevil family kept....was having "company over during dinner".. which, basically is that ONE girl that the daughter met. How sad. I don't even think she was able to keep the cell phone.
    The midevil freakmom said that they're learning all they need by being homeschooled. She also said something to the effect of.."this show just showed them that their lifestyle is perfect and they're happy with it".

So, no.. nothing changed for them.
    Yes this was sad and I thought the man was KING, but I could
    tell who really wore the pants in that family..
    The husband seemed willing to change something, but wifey
    wasn't going for it at all...
    By the end I think the kids wanted to start real school,
    that's not going to happen...
    It seemed to me that the wife wanted all of her family to
    herself and was scared that they might get to know other
    people and might someday move away from all that..
    They were just to strange for me...
    Dressing up for a party/fair is one thing, but living in them clothes
    is crazy...
    What doesn't kill you, just screws with your head !!

Evel Doer's club member.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    As for how disrespectful she was to the son in the other house, I recently read an article on working class families who don't allow their kids to "back talk" and how it affects their kids' chances later in life: Both Sides of Inequality by David Brooks, New York Times. Sorry I can't provide a link; they only let you on the web site if you subscribe and my local paper that reprinted the article does not have it on their web site. But basically it describes a long-term study that showed how families that don't allow "back talk" are not preparing their kids to succeed in the business world, where they lack confidence and feel pushed around and tongue-tied.

I don't think these shows are as helpful to the participants who are so sure they have nothing to learn from the other side.
    I don't think "back talk", for the most part, has any appropriate place coming out of childrens' mouths, working class or not. You must teach children to respect authority and their elders; there are ways to teach children to talk to get their point across without it becoming "back talk"; children will also gain respect by learning how to respond when they don't agree with something that has been said to them. Knowing 'when and where and with whom' can make all of the difference in the world.

We've become such a "Jerry Springer nation" that rudeness is readily accepted, and manners are easily disregarded, anymore. Sad!

Over all, I thought the show was kind of interesting. These people appeared to be of somewhat economic status, but I think it was a good learning experience all around. I was a little shocked by how little time the one mother spent with her children, as I was shocked at how much the other mother spent suffocating and limiting her children. I was also disappointed that the "21st century" mother nixed the idea of the belly dancing with her daughter; she missed a great chance at fun one-on-one "sillytime" with her daughter; those are the times that great memories are made of!

I thought medieval daughter got to keep her phone. I also thought that if they wanted to live a medieval life...what where they doing with modern appliances in their home?

I don't know if any of you saw the movie, The Village (with Joaquin Phoenix), but medieval family could have easily been one of the families living in the village.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 03-14-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Damn. I didn't get this episode. Our ABC affiliate has been airing Billy Graham specials in that time slot. I'll try and catch it on CTV at 5 pm Saturday. If I remember.

I didn't get it either and I figured it wasn't on. Now I'm pissed that it was on and my station didn't show it.

Medieval family life? So they never bathe or change clothes, and live in a clapboard hut? Yes, that's a time in history that bears repeating!

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Medieval family life? So they never bathe or change clothes, and live in a clapboard hut? Yes, that's a time in history that bears repeating!

They only took what they liked from medieval times and left the stuff that didn't fit the lifestyle they were trying to create. I think if that family actually tried to be historically acurate they would have a collective mental break.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

+ Reply to Thread