+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

FORT Newbie
    I thought the crying sounded forced, like it was the third take and the producer was saying cry like you mean it or we shoot it again.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    My biggest problem with Christian Dad was the "washing the mouth out with soap" business. As others have mentioned, he seemed to take a lot of glee in it. Apparently son had said "I don't care" so Dad kept the soap going until son did care. I have news for you Dad: he still doesn't care, he just said he did in order to stop the torture.
    I didn't know people actually still did that. That was something my parents threatened us with but they never actually did it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I cannot possibly imagine what that must be like. Thank goodness I had the parents that I did! I don't understand how you get someone to hold still for that. Wonder if he will pass that on to his own children? With a lot of behaviors, we usually do what we have learned.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I didn't know people actually still did that. That was something my parents threatened us with but they never actually did it.
    my mom did. but she squirted dishsoap onto our tongue.

i had a foster mother that washed my mouth out with bar soap when i called someone a "bee turd". i was 12 years old. (this was in the mid 70's)

I don't understand washing someone's mouth out with soap. What is that supposed to accomplish?

It makes me think of that scene in A Christmas Story, though.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I don't understand washing someone's mouth out with soap. What is that supposed to accomplish?

It makes me think of that scene in A Christmas Story, though.
    When I was young, we got our mouths washed out with soap if we said a cuss word- it was suppose to *clean* our mouths out.

Did it work though? It would've just made me angry and resentful... and not take away the thrill of cursing. LOL I didn't curse as a child but I do recall my brother being told he'd get his mouth washed out with soap. Maybe it was a deterrent after the fact, I dunno. No one ever actually did it. It just seems a bit cruel/unusual. Blegh.

I ate a piece of Christmas soap as a toddler once though (I thought it was a cookie) Maybe that's why I didn't curse later. Maybe it is curative after all!

I'd feel really weird lathering up some child's tongue, though. It just seems... odd to me.

Ps, I LOVE your board name. stinkerbell. LMAO!!!!

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Like others, I also thought Reggie over-reacted a bit about Christian Mom's attitude. Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin Reggie, and not worry about what others think of your beliefs.

And working 80 hours a week is waaaay too damn much. If there's no God, and no Afterlife, and no Great Plan, then all we have is the here and now. Get yourself a 40-hour a week job and enjoy your kids while you can.
    I finally saw this episode sunday ( football was on monday ) and I agree that Reggie should probably cut back on his hours ( which I also think he realizes ) and that when he started crying on the show it did seem forced. Hopefully it was the editing.

I also have a bit of a bone to pick with him. I am not what I guess you would call a 'christian' but not an athiest either...my beliefss are complicated but I have had to defend myself on a number of occasions. I just couldn't believe that he attacked the christain mom the way he did and then accused her of attacking him?? He got all upset at her for telling him there is a God and whatever, accusing her of attacking him, but then he got on his high horse at her about there is no god and the bible is a lie ( something like that ) and I just thought it was tacky for someone who wanted people to be openminded to attack the beliefs of someone else because they were differant. Wasn't that what he was complaining about other people doing to him? It seemed to me like he wanted to debate as long as it was going his way.

I liked both families and what I had a problem with may have been the results of editing. We may never know. My only question is why can't we justaccept others beliefs as just that...other's beliefs? Why is it ok to be differant only when it is in the same way that you are differant?
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

It's a repeat this week.

My perennial question, for all of them, what is SO hard about living a different way for five days or so? Then you get to set the rules for another five days, and then you go home. It's not like anyone is saying you'll never get to go home. Or maybe it is, if you believe the lawsuit by the guy who got the gay guy "wife".

Ha, much as I didn't like her, there was a swapped wife, very intolerant, who nevertheless did her time with a gay female "husband". So why is it so high for the "straight" guys?

Someone really needs to lay off the collagen, this week's cop wife looks like a cartoon with lips that big

+ Reply to Thread