+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    Also, didn't anyone find it extremely ironic that the atheist mother sent the kids to daycare in order to play a computer game where the objective is to create a family. I mean, she already has a real family, she doesn't need to play with dolls anymore.
    I totally saw the ironic-ness of that. I think it's because she's not really "happy" with her home life and how the family functions. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but where is that?
    The "Bible Belt" is a slang term used for a geographical region in the South and the midsection of the United States -- areas that host large groups of fundamentalist Christians.

To be a true Bible Belt Christian, you must have a clear understanding of the things you don't do, like smoking, dancing, going to the pool hall, drinking, or making a public appearance without a Bible in hand. You must believe that your actions are controlled by the Holy Spirit and that doing God's will is the most important part of your life -- no matter what scoffers might think.

Some say that certain people in the Bible Belt go overboard in both their religious and political (usually conservative) practices. But Bible Belters believe that their lives are totally controlled by God and they could no more change their ways than fly. Furthermore, they don't apologize for their seemingly irrational behavior. Like a favorite bumper sticker declares, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven."

The Great Awakening was the beginning of the movement. If there was a "Bible Belt" in America before then, it was located in the North with such groups as the Massachusetts Puritans and the Pennsylvania Quakers. But, about 1790, something happened. It was as if a great wave suddenly flooded the land. The second Pentecost had begun.

Religion has always been an important part of American life. Since the 1600's over 85% of the population had participated in some kind of church activity. Towards the end of the 17th Century, however, religious fervor took on an even greater ferocity. It was then that America experienced its first great revival and todays fundamentalist Bible Belt is a direct result.

The "Great Awakening", which had swept the British Isles, infiltrated the American Colonies. The Southern states, especially, received this "new birth" with fervor. Some said it was because of the great population of blacks below the Mason-Dixon Line. Others said it was because because the Southerner was closer to God than anyone else. It simply depended on who was doing the talking.

Preachers scattered across the country healing, raising the dead and collecting money. Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, and other denominations, were swept up in the Great Revival. The Holy Spirit was moving and so was the human spirit. Although some revival meetings were bogus -- scam artists and frauds taking advantage of the faithful -- not all were a ruse. In Finis Ewing's lecture on sanctification, he delivered strong testimony on the subject. An anecdote illustrates that these people had abiding spiritual power.

Read the rest of the article by clicking HERE
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by LKH View Post
    I think a lot of times, too, people who say their particular group (atheists, etc.) are disliked say it because THEY are disliked, often for reasons having nothing to do with their beliefs. But it's a great excuse, and saves having to do some introspection and work to clean up one's act. LOL.
    Very wise, LKH. The same holds true for people who claim that others don't like them because they're A) threatened by them, or B) jealous of them. Every time I hear that the "rationalization" alarms go off.

In this guy's case, I truly felt sorry for him when he started crying. But I get the feeling that if he hadn't chosen atheism, he would have picked some other cause that kept him on a fringe. His me-against-the-world battle fulfills some kind of psychological purpose that has little to do with atheism, I think.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

This was an OK show, I was hoping for the gay one but I guess this show is on my no watch list anyway -- BORING!

#$%& you Dad
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

FORT Newbie
    I live in the bible belt!

LKH
    I have you beat. I live in COLORADO!!! If the south is the Bible Belt, Colorado has become the BUCKLE. LOL.

L

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Very wise, LKH. The same holds true for people who claim that others don't like them because they're A) threatened by them, or B) jealous of them. Every time I hear that the "rationalization" alarms go off.

In this guy's case, I truly felt sorry for him when he started crying. But I get the feeling that if he hadn't chosen atheism, he would have picked some other cause that kept him on a fringe. His me-against-the-world battle fulfills some kind of psychological purpose that has little to do with atheism, I think.
    I thought he sounded quite childlike when he started crying. He reminded me of my son when he was in grade school. Frankly, I was shocked. There's nothing wrong with him crying........it's the immaturity that I heard.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m-1 tank View Post
    Barefooteddyke, what do you mean by jeff not following the "laws of the land?"
    it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about him not following the "rules"

OK, this didn't turn out to be as controversial as I thought it would. None of these folks turned out to be people I'd be afraid to be alone in a room with or anything.

I hope Reggie comes back to give us his viewpoint now that the episode has aired. As far as his comment about editing, I recall that in the first 5 minutes of the show, Voice-Over Guy had me convinced that Athiest Mom didn't give a rat's ass about her kids. I was fully prepared to hate her, but then when she went to the Christian home, the first thing she did was to bond with the little girl. So yeah, even though it's reality, they can still put a "spin" on it.

My biggest problem with Christian Dad was the "washing the mouth out with soap" business. As others have mentioned, he seemed to take a lot of glee in it. Apparently son had said "I don't care" so Dad kept the soap going until son did care. I have news for you Dad: he still doesn't care, he just said he did in order to stop the torture.

I may have missed something, but were the Christian kids home-schooled? I couldn't figure out why the niece didn't have any interaction with other girls.

I'm real glad that Athiest Mom realized she needed to clamp down on the video games. They're terribly addictive to certain personality types, as are TV shows.
    (I should know. ) And I hope they continue to get outdoors a bit more, and that their son doesn't continue being their housework slave.

Like others, I also thought Reggie over-reacted a bit about Christian Mom's attitude. Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin Reggie, and not worry about what others think of your beliefs.

And working 80 hours a week is waaaay too damn much. If there's no God, and no Afterlife, and no Great Plan, then all we have is the here and now. Get yourself a 40-hour a week job and enjoy your kids while you can.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I thought he sounded quite childlike when he started crying. He reminded me of my son when he was in grade school. Frankly, I was shocked. There's nothing wrong with him crying........it's the immaturity that I heard.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

+ Reply to Thread