+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 75 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Doesn't Reggie live in the "Bible Belt"? If I were an atheist, I probably wouldn't live there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

LKH
    I think a lot of times, too, people who say their particular group (atheists, etc.) are disliked say it because THEY are disliked, often for reasons having nothing to do with their beliefs. But it's a great excuse, and saves having to do some introspection and work to clean up one's act. LOL.

I'm a Christian. I honestly don't understand atheism. I don't dislike atheists, just don't get how they can hold that view. I don't think you can honestly say "there is no God," unless you truly believe you know all there is to know. As long as you admit that you don't know something, God could be part of what you don't know. Agnosticism makes more sense to me.

I can also accept honest intellectual skepticism about Christian teaching. There's a lot about the Bible and about the stuff they teach in churches (which isn't always truly Biblical) that makes no sense, particularly if you are just looking at it superficially. And frankly, I think probably the biggest obstacle to the Christian faith for most people is Christians. There are a whole lot of smug, self-righteous jerks who tell the world they are Christians and then act like the devil. The worldliest sinner has no trouble spotting a hypocrite. The thing is, that's not the point of Christianity. Christianity is about admitting that we are deeply, hopelessly flawed, and NOT holier than thou, that we need mercy and forgiveness for our faults, and we're no better than anyone else. Christians who don't get and teach that are the worst enemies of my faith.

Anyway, I liked this show last season, but missed it thus far this season. When's it on?

L

I thought these families were pretty normal too. I believe the show thought for sure it would make great controversial TV to have such contrasting views but in the end they seemed to come to an understanding
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke View Post
    i was thinking the same thing ... i really had nothing of substance to say about this episode. i thought the pastor's wife should have backed off some, but overall, both couples seemed to deal with things okay and learn some things. i, too, liked what pastor jeff said at the end ... having a background in that life, i know that a lot of christians DON'T love their neighbors no matter how much they claim that they do.
    I agree. Not much to say about this episode.

I found that Reggie is a bit of a control freak and quick to get pissy. At the final table, his wife just stared off (sorta like, "Oh here we go again, no change here") as he ranted on about Pastor Wife.

I don't understand how the Pastor Wife was able to go into the "family business" and "change the format" to Christianity or whatever. If that's the only income to the household, the show should have that as a definate line that can't be crossed. You can't interrupt the income of the household, no matter how much you may disagree with it. Period.

Also, the Pastor and wife took in that little girl, she's actually their neice. I wonder what that story is all about. Hmmmm....
    The lack of attention she was recieving from the family was sad.. I'm glad that she'll get more interaction with her aunt, at last.

The spankings and mouth washings they lovvvvve to dole out is excessive and cruel. Pastor dad was almost giddy with excitement about washing the eldest son's mouth out.

The Pastor creeped me out too much. There's just something about him that doesn't jive... but I don't like him.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Also, the Pastor and wife took in that little girl, she's actually their neice. I wonder what that story is all about. Hmmmm....
    The lack of attention she was recieving from the family was sad.. I'm glad that she'll get more interaction with her aunt, at last.
    Also, wasn't the baby boy their nephew whom they had also taken in? The little girl was trapped in a family where males were preferred (she and the mom were the only 2 females), even by the mom. Maybe mom had been around the boys for so long that she couldn't/wouldn't relate to the little girl. I've know a woman like that. She grew up with only brothers and did not have a great relationship with her mother. She had 2 boys and 2 girls; she will go on and on about the boys and doesn't say much about the girls. She makes sure the boys are involved in sports, but the girls simply don't get the same amount of attention. She could be involving the baby girl in activities, but she just doesn't bother. Mostly she complains about the oldest girl. Oh well..................it's sad.....but she will not admit to having a preference.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Icky Pastor Dad

I just don't understand why he seemed so gleeful about washing the son's mouth out with soap. He seemed to find real joy in continuing to do it until the kid caved.

In my state, that would qualify as child abuse and reportable.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Also, wasn't the baby boy their nephew whom they had also taken in?
    Oh yeah.. the baby boy too. Really makes me wonder what happened to have them take the kids in. I don't think they mentioned anything.. but then again, I wouldn't feel comfortable airing my sister's problems on national tv either.

Reggie, I'm curious.. what parts were you saying were edited wrong, or "directed"?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie
    Barefooteddyke, what do you mean by jeff not following the "laws of the land?"

FORT Newbie
    Barefooteddyke, what do you mean by jeff not following the "laws of the land?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Doesn't Reggie live in the "Bible Belt"? If I were an atheist, I probably wouldn't live there.
    Excuse my ignorance, but where is that?

Also, didn't anyone find it extremely ironic that the atheist mother sent the kids to daycare in order to play a computer game where the objective is to create a family. I mean, she already has a real family, she doesn't need to play with dolls anymore.

+ Reply to Thread