+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

I'm not getting it tonight. Since the Packers are playing later this evening, they're having some pre-game show here. Obviously, I am in Wisconsin.

Is it any good? Or do you just want to strangle them all?

I think the overweight womanwas being unappreciative and unconsiderable of the other participants in the show including her husband who is a lazy wimp. Made for good TV though.

Ok, I don't normally catch Wife Swap, I guess TiVo is just exasperated with me for having so many shows on Season Pass. LOL (I tape shows for family members too) But I had this one on the lineup and had forgotten about it. Ok, not the typical fitness/fatness switch... There seems to be something more going on under the surface here.

They kept saying the one wife was ill, (or she did), but no one ever said with WHAT. What is the illness? Cos no one seemed to take her seriously. Was it chronic fatigue? She did seem unhealthy but it was unclear why. If it was not just from being sedentary so often then what was it? Cos I think the drill sergeant would've been less harsh with her if he'd believed she was ill. If it was not the truth they should've said that in the show, too, IMO. This show was confoozing.

I loved the 'fitness mom' because of her attitude. She easily could have ridiculed the 'out of shape' dad but didn't. She really did seem to want to be positive and supportive. He almost didn't know what to do with that. I'm thinking the sedentary mom must really be ill because he seemed too quick to go back into that 'give up everything to help her' mode. I was disappointed because the one mom was painted as a villain when a lot of her apparent depression and lack of motivation may have been because she's upset at being ill -

Maybe I overidentify with that because I have chronic fatigue and it's the type of thing many don't understand and some don't believe. Cos you can have times - and it can change daily or even hourly - where you seem healthy and normal. And there's nothing visibly wrong on the outside. Yet try to live a normal schedule, and you end up crashing and burning for a week. Maybe she has something like that?? I even went to the ABC website but there's nothing about it there either. But her husband really should have a fitness plan, 370 is not good no matter what. She can still support him and try to get him on track even if physically she can't do much.

I think the drill sergeant dad could lighten up even more... and take more of an interest in his wife/daughter other than as satellites to his fitness mania - and I think the whole sedentary family could use family counseling; things there seem very dysfunctional.

FORT Newbie
    Even if the overweight mom were sick, that would be no excuse for her horrible treatment of her husband. That he should have to give up his dream to be her lackey is very sad. I felt awful for her daughter as well, that she had to pretend to be happy that lazy, disinterested, unsupportive mom was back. I don't think I've ever disliked a reality tv participant as much -- I want to do an intervention and save the family from that woman.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Even if the overweight mom were sick, that would be no excuse for her horrible treatment of her husband. That he should have to give up his dream to be her lackey is very sad. I felt awful for her daughter as well, that she had to pretend to be happy that lazy, disinterested, unsupportive mom was back. I don't think I've ever disliked a reality tv participant as much -- I want to do an intervention and save the family from that woman

I agree. I couldn't believe some of the things the non-fitness mom said. I am in no way a fitness person, ( I don't eat healthy foo or work out ) but seeing her attitude made me sick. Her family would benifit greatly from exercise. The dad was enjoying the feeling. I know that when you do work out it makes your body feel better. Non-fit mom was claiming she was coughing but I never saw it. At the start she said she didn't feel the need to change anything about herself or her life. I think ( in her case at least ) that set the tone for the entire show. Good tv but crappy reality.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

That's why I said they should have family counseling. Maybe she needed someone to help her do things around the house when this all first started, but by now they should have hired some type of assistant or something to help so that he can have a life of some kind, too. They are stuck in a bad pattern at this point. She also needs counseling to deal with her anger about her illness, it's so obvious to me that she is angry at not having a life... and is taking it out on others. A lot of what she did might be frustration. She wants it done a certain way but can't do it herself.

I'ts not an excuse, no, but it's an explanation. But counseling would maybe help them all come up with a better way to interact. The husband did not even seem interested really in pursuing his former job, which tells me it might be more serious than the show let on.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt
    I'm not getting it tonight. Since the Packers are playing later this evening, they're having some pre-game show here. Obviously, I am in Wisconsin.

Is it any good? Or do you just want to strangle them all?
    It's the same old, same old again. This show is so tiresome it's not even funny. I did like the fitness mom though, she treated the other family with respect and I think they all had a good experience. Making the overweight dad go see a doctor for a checkup was a good thing and I think it gave him a wake up call that he desperately needed. The other mom was anothing more than a lazy, selfish slob with bad hair and an attitude to match. It's all so predictable that I think I'm done with this show.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Burn This
    Even if the overweight mom were sick, that would be no excuse for her horrible treatment of her husband. That he should have to give up his dream to be her lackey is very sad. I felt awful for her daughter as well, that she had to pretend to be happy that lazy, disinterested, unsupportive mom was back. I don't think I've ever disliked a reality tv participant as much -- I want to do an intervention and save the family from that woman.

I agree also. I thought her behavior was really disturbing. It was so selfish that she dissuaded her husband from returning to work as a DJ. And she made such a big deal about how she hated being away from her kids, how she spent so much time with them, that the other parents worked out to much to spend time with their daughter (well, some truth to the father there), but negative mom didn't even support her daughter - it didn't seem like she spent much time with her at all, just ordering her around. I feel really sorry for that family; she is a big negative weight on them all.

I just felt so sorry for the daughter of the heavier foks. She just wants someone to take an interest in what she is doing and who she is. Her mother is so selfish that she doesn't even try to participate and share in her daughter's interests. So sad to see that lost look in the eyes of the little girl. She was so happy to have fitness mom give her some support. It is always the children who suffer from the selfishness of their "adult" parents.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    The Lazy family has so many issues, there's no way that anyone/anything can help them at this point. All the blame (IMO) lies on the lazy wife.

The lazy husband has taken such a backseat to her and her demands, that he doesn't even have enough fortitude to keep himself alive longer for his children :nono She's mentally bashed him for so long, he has no inner-will.

You can see that he really DOES have legitimate fears (father died of heart problems) that he is wanting to rectify, but as soon as the lazy wife is involved, the negativity that spews from her dissuades him. The DJ job. WTF? He is obviously missed at the station, and HE misses it as well! The lil "at home" business she wrangled him into doing full-time with him is a crock 'o crap. Trying to explain to the temp agency guy what exactly he did was a joke. Yea, he does nothing. Except cater to his lazy-ass wife. Of course he won't explain THAT to anyone.. "oh, and then the rest of the day is spent doting over my lazy wife"...that's why he had that look of terror in his eyes when he saw someone ELSE coming in to help with the "business". The truth will be found out!

I think that she wants to keep him from exercizing and losing weight because she can't get her lazy ass to do the same thing. She has convinced everyone (in her family) that it's "Ok" to be overweight and do nothing about it.
    She, IMO, is an embarrassment to the heavier women/men out there who aren't as lazy as she is. So many people inaccurately stereotype overweight (or just plain ole larger) people as "lazy".
    She epitomized lazy IMO.
    Her "I'm sick" excuse was just that, an excuse for her lazy, selfish, I-don't-have-to-do-anything-I-don't-like attitude.
    NO. Sorry Brandy, but I'm not buying it. Look at what they showed before the swap (when she wasn't "sick")! She sat there, at the computer or on the couch. Period. The exact same thing she wanted to do at the host-family's house.

Once she saw the drill sergeant guy in the picture, she KNEW (& said so) he was going to be on her case about exercising. She figured the "I'm sick" card would work, and for the most part.. it did. She did absolutely nothing the whole time.
    To top it off.. she gets all huffy at the end and demands to talk to her husband. Why? Because she wanted to get her hubby "back on track" with her mind-games. She knew that her laziness was going to be the center-piece of conversation at the table and she wanted to avoid that at all costs...if she WERE to do the table talk, she wanted her lazy husband to "back her". In which, unfortunately, he was trying to do. Also, she knew full well that her hubby indeed wants to lose weight and it would be a focus w/the swapped wife at her house. If he's on board with this exercise crap.. oh boy, it'll be a catastrophe!

It's a show where you have agreed to switch LIVES WITH ANOTHER WOMAN. What's so damned hard for these people to understand?! NO, you're not going to be able to go to another family's house and laze about like you do at home.

The only salvageable thing out of that family is the kids, lets just hope that they grow into strong individuals who aren't susceptable to mind-games.

I don't have anything to say about the other Fitness family.. the lazy family took it all outta me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread