+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Premium Member
    I think that neither family should not be allowed force their wacko eating habits on the others. I don't think a strictly raw diet sounds all that healthy in the long run, and I also think if people feel that strongly against eating meat they should not be forced.

The one thing I do agree with was vegan mom getting those boys off the sugar. Those kids don't have to be bouncing off the walls and their parents should get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    The one thing I do agree with was vegan mom getting those boys off the sugar. Those kids don't have to be bouncing off the walls and their parents should get a clue.
    Seriously, that was one huge amount of sugar they put in their cereals. I'm hoping it's only for TV and not a daily (or even monthly) occurence. And the cereals they were eating are already sweet (corn pops?)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I have to agree abouth the kids intake of sugar. That was insane how much sugar the kds were putting on their cereal earlier.
    reminds me of my ex husband ... he would ADD sugar to his ALREADY SWEETENED cereals.

FORT Regular
    I thought vegan mom was selfish. I don't think you should force your views on others, her poor husband! She's all wrapped up in herself and can't help out around the house. I am really surprised by how all the alternative familes are always sloppy with housekeeping. I don't see how cleanliness is incompatible with their beliefs (and I consider myself somewhat alternative).

I try to be conscious of how much meat I am eating, it's source, what it was fed and how it was raised. I have found that sometimes my body does need meat, but think it's important to pay attention to how food affects how you feel. I don't think meat is necessary at every meal or even every day. All that sugar in the cereal and processed foods I found a lot more revolting than hunting your own meat.

Actually, I think if you eat meat it is not a bad thing to hunt it and be aware of where it comes from. DH will only eat boneless, skinless, etc., etc., chicken - basically because he doesn't like any reminders of where it comes from, which I think is really silly. At least if they are hunting their own meat they know where it comes from, it is probably cleaner and the animals weren't penned up and forced into cannibalism and pumped full of antibiotics and steroids like on the big meat factories.

I do think vegan mom was doing a great job with hunting mom's boys; I wish they showed more of how she did it!

Vegan mom seems to suffer from "orthodoxia nervosa" I think I posted this the last season, when crazy vegan lady was on Trading Spouse. But it's fascinating.

Health Food Junkie
    Orthorexia begins, innocently enough, as a desire to overcome chronic illness or to improve general health. But because it requires considerable willpower to adopt a diet that differs radically from the food habits of childhood and the surrounding culture, few accomplish the change gracefully. Most must resort to an iron self-discipline bolstered by a hefty dose of superiority over those who eat junk food. Over time, what to eat, how much, and the consequences of dietary indiscretion come to occupy a greater and greater proportion of the orthorexic's day.

The act of eating pure food begins to carry pseudospiritual connotations. As orthorexia progresses, a day filled with sprouts, umeboshi plums, and amaranth biscuits comes to feel as holy as one spent serving the poor and homeless. When an orthorexic slips up (which may involve anything from devouring a single raisin to consuming a gallon of Haagen Dazs ice cream and a large pizza), he experiences a fall from grace and must perform numerous acts of penitence. These usually involve ever-stricter diets and fasts.

This "kitchen spirituality" eventually reaches a point where the sufferer spends most of his time planning, purchasing, and eating meals. The orthorexic's inner life becomes dominated by efforts to resist temptation, self-condemnation for lapses, self-praise for success at complying with the chosen regime, and feelings of superiority over others less pure in their dietary habits.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Did anyone else notice how wrinkled the Vegan dad's face was? Looked to me like typical 'smokers wrinkles' to me, if you know what I mean. I'm wondering if he stays away from home that many hours because then he has more chances to grab a smoke? I can't see Vegan mom allowing him to harm his body with cigarettes! I may be way off base here and he may not be a smoker at all---- his face just reminded me of people I know who are heavy smokers. Also those boys! If sugar does that to a kid, then 'Huntin mom' must have been putting it in their bottles! Seriously, my son had a very strong reaction to sugar and red dye and would act up, but we had that problem figured out by the time he was four years old. I can't believe this mother wouldn't want to stop her sons unruly behavior by some other means than just spanking. I feel SO sorry for those boys teachers...

FORT Regular
    After reading Vegan moms manual, I'm more convinced than ever that she's a nutcase - and a hypocrite.

She won't shop at the big store food chains because she feels that they hurt small businesses and put the working man out of work.

Her husband works at a big store food chain.

Uh, hello? Don't those big stores hire a lot of people?

But then she wants him to quit his job anyway and sit around and stare at her because they don't need any money. They can live off air and sun.

Then she goes on about how its good to let your cat be natural and not keep it in the house all the time (I actually agree with this), but then she says she gets mad at the cat for killing animals to eat and she puts the cat on a vegan diet. What part of that is natural? An outdoor cat is going to hunt, especially when it's dietary requirements are not being met. Cat's have a purpose in life. It's to control the rodent population. They were created that way.

So she sits around a lot thinking about life. And then she protests for animals. Frankly, I don't know how protesting helps. People just ignore you. Instead of sitting around thinking about how to make a better world, why not actually go out there and make a better world. Go volunteer somewhere. There are children and women and the elderly that could use some help. There are lots of organizations that actually make a difference.

On Sundays they go to churches and protest there. Great, so families are going to church and being accosted by this woman with her agenda. Maybe she would be better off actually going in one of the churches and listening to them, instead of attacking church goers and telling them what to think.

And it's mentioned that they drive 40 minutes to get to these churches. I'm not against driving, but if you're going to go on that whole kick, why are you driving around anyway? Shouldn't you limit your travels to where you can go by your own power or at least public transportation? If you're really into the environment, does it make sense to use that gas to protest outside of somebody's place of worship?

By the way, if everyone went vegan, what would happen to all the cows, pigs and chickens? Farmers wouldn't have any use for them. Wouldn't they become extinct?

And although I understand the concern about the way animals are treated at these "farms", (it is horrifying), what about eating eggs from free range chickens? Or getting milk from someone who has a cow. Personally l like meat, but I understand if someone doesn't want to eat meat because they don't like killing animals. However, I don't understand how eating eggs from a free range chicken is hurting the chicken. Or how getting milk from your cow in the barn is hurting your cow. She actually wants to be milked because it's painful for her if she isn't.

FORT Regular
    Several months ago, I posted a news article about a Wife Swap episode featuring a gay male couple. You're probably wondering why it never went on air. This article says why... the show is being sued.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Area man sues for gay 'Wife Swap'
    By Donna Hales
    Phoenix Staff Writer

A man who participated in the popular "Wife Swap" television show is suing producers for $10,225,000 after the "wife" they sent to his home was a gay man.

Jeffrey D. Bedford of Haileyville, which is southeast of McAlester in Pittsburg County, is suing Walt Disney Company, dba American Broadcasting Company, Inc., ABC Television Network and RDF Media Ltd.

Bedford's suit in U.S. District Court in Muskogee states defendants began shooting the show on Oct. 14, 2004, and misled him by not sending a female from a heterosexual family to his home.

The Bedfords said Thursday they would like to comment on their experiences in regard to the show, but hesitate to do so until they talk with their attorney, who is out of town until next week.

The suit filed Oct. 11 claims:

# Bedford was distraught over the misrepresentation to the point of nonparticipation.

# Defendants threatened if Bedford did not film the show that they would not tell him his wife's location and would not pay for her to be sent home.

# Bedford conducted a Bible study for the Haileyville Baptist Church, wherein the gay swap participant invited a gay coalition into Bedford's home for the study.

# Defendants repeatedly told him his wife was leaving him. He claims he became emotionally distraught over his and his family's situation to the point of becoming physically and mentally ill. His wife was not informed of his illness.

# Bedford was not allowed to speak to his wife during the filming of the episode and not allowed to continue his college work during the filming. Subsequently, he was dropped from one class.

# Defendants acted with reckless disregard. As a result of intentional infliction of mental distress he has incurred medical bills, public humiliation, embarrassment and undue grief. He seeks $5 million for that distress and punitive damages of $5 million.

He seeks $75,000 for breach of contract and in excess of $75,000 because of defendants' fraud or misrepresentation, and punitive damages in excess of $75,000. He also seeks court costs and attorney fees.

ABC spokeswoman Annie Fort e-mailed a statement Thursday to the Phoenix: "ABC is confident that RDF Media, the producer of 'Wife Swap,' treats participants professionally and with respect. The show is meant to challenge a family's norms and moreover, the agreement between the plaintiff and RDF specifically stated that the swapped spouse could be either male or female."

Fort said the episode hasn't aired yet, but only because it hasn't been scheduled.

"We have a number of 'Wife Swap' episodes stockpiled," Fort wrote.

"Since each is self-contained, we don't have to air them in any particular order, so I can't predict when we'll book this one."

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that heymikey.

I can't find where that thread is (where you posted the article months ago), but the guy has signed up to the Fort and has posted many times in regards to his opinion(s) about gays and Christianity.

Thankfully, due to rules of the site, I cannot comment about this lawsuit because it pertains to a member of the Fort and would be considered "baiting" if I gave my opinion.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Is anyone watching this tonight?
    Drill sergeant husband and wife swap with overweight couple.
    Overweight wife claims they have a similar inventory in their fridge-I highly doubt that.

+ Reply to Thread