+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt
    On the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" thing . . . this is more common than you realize. People who have funky plumbing, usually an OLD septic system (rather than city sewer), use this method to baby the old system along. They're expensive to replace, not to mention there might not be room for a new drainfield, which means a mound system, which is even more expensive. We did it when I was a kid, not really a big deal, not really that gross when it's your family.
    Somehow "mellow" and "toilet filled with urine" don't exactly fit together , but I know what you mean... especially within a family. But it can still be kind of gross. When I was New Zealand earlier this year, I found that they have two-level flushers on their toilets. One button does a half-hearted flush for the liquid variety, one button does a full flush for the... well, the other. It was an interesting approach to the problem of water conservation.
    "The key to keep away is having a lot of extra hats at home..."

[QUOTE=Monkadelic]

Forgive me for being cynical... but something bothered me about Sienna and Ash, with their "home-schooled" son. If they truly believe what they believe, breaking away from society because of its ills... why are they living in the suburbs?

You noticed that too, huh? Their house looked like the neighborhood next to mine- and did y'all notice that they didn't have the standard "party" that all previous wife swaps have had to endure?
    Go Tigers!

Vote!

Which of the two families would you rather spend a day with? I'm torn.

Spend it with the rich family and you have to watch them act like obnoxious, self-absorbed idiots, knowing full-well that the spoils of this man's luxury life were provided through the insurance industry. Spend it with the other family and it might be a little quieter, but it's also loaded with pretense, piercings and dreadlocks aimed and telling the world they're "outside the mainstream".

My vote? Alternative Family

Not because I like them better, but because when I get sick of them and have to leave, it's much easier to find the door in their house than the ostentatious 5000+ square foot Bada-Bing Estates.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkadelic
    Which of the two families would you rather spend a day with? I'm torn.

Spend it with the rich family and you have to watch them act like obnoxious, self-absorbed idiots, knowing full-well that the spoils of this man's luxury life were provided through the insurance industry. Spend it with the other family and it might be a little quieter, but it's also loaded with pretense, piercings and dreadlocks aimed and telling the world they're "outside the mainstream".

My vote? Alternative Family

Not because I like them better, but because when I get sick of them and have to leave, it's much easier to find the door in their house than the ostentatious 5000+ square foot Bada-Bing Estates.
    Bada - bing Estates

Actually, I can sort of relate to the alternative family, because one of my many cousins has long hippie hair, doesn't shave (female) and named her son BEOWULF! He's 25 now, and remarkably well adjusted in spite of that name! They own a retail store called The Green Dragon, and they sell all kinds of weird stuff. (use your imagination) But they are definitely sweet,smart people. Just don't choose to live that way!
    Go Tigers!

Your Vote?

Okay, so your vote is... alternative family?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Bada - bing Estates

Actually, I can sort of relate to the alternative family, because one of my many cousins has long hippie hair, doesn't shave (female) and named her son BEOWULF! He's 25 now, and remarkably well adjusted in spite of that name! They own a retail store called The Green Dragon, and they sell all kinds of weird stuff. (use your imagination) But they are definitely sweet,smart people. Just don't choose to live that way!
    Yeah, I have an uncle on my mother's side who chooses to live outside the maintstream. He's a product of the 60's, in that he's not big on materialism. He's got a long beard, basic functional clothing. He lives in a mobile home, I believe, with little in the way of convenience features. But he works his butt off at his own business (he contracts out his services for building parade floats, of all things), makes enough to make ends meet, and I knowing the guy he probably shares any wealth that might accumulate with friends in need. He's just that type of guy, and he's not one to shove his lifestyle in your face to say "You need to live like me", but he's happy with his life and how he lives it. Hats off to him.

Oh, and he doesn't wear a skirt or play hoola hoop in his front yard all day.

FORT Fanatic
    I had to go to the Wife Swap website and see how old Ash is. He's 24! And not Ian's biological father. The similarities between the two are freaky though. Of the two families I liked them more. Ash does need to pick his battles but at least he was (mostly) respectful to his new wife. Some of the rules should not be allowed - why should people have to change their long-term appearance for a one week tv experiment? Don't blame him for not cutting his hair. Though I think it wouldn't have hurt Ian to remove the purple - that's easily fixed after the week is over.

Big Ed (or rather Big Turd) was beyond obnoxious. His tirades about Sienna "not listening" were absurd. Manipulation at its worst there - give demands then accuse her of not listening when she doesn't jump to fulfill his wishes immediately. He didn't even give her a chance to respond to his requests before starting his little tantrum. Was nice to see that he's at least chipping in now after the swap. Have to wonder how much of that is just for the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    did y'all notice that they didn't have the standard "party" that all previous wife swaps have had to endure?
    The "party" is on Trading Spouses, they don't force one on Wife Swap.

For the first thirty minutes, I thought Ash was Sienna's son.

RI mom was right on the money sending Ian to drama class. He would probably have trouble fitting in anywhere else. Drama class was perfect and something I can't see Sienna objecting to. What a great outlet for a kid who's full of drama already.

I liked Ian. As for his odd way of speaking, I have a cousin who spoke like that. Don't know where it came from. And he's a nice guy (in fact, he's a minister now). Anyway, I think Ian will turn out just fine.

I don't see where men (and boys) wearing skirts fits into the "helping the world" philosophy. That seemed like a peculiar thing for Sienna to insist upon Ed wearing.

I really think Ash is the driving force behind the "back to nature" lifestyle and Sienna has simply bought into it for so long she thinks it's hers too. In my opinion Ash is just plain lazy and has found a way to play all day and not provide for his family.

The Hippie family was disgusting...dumpster diving and eating scraps from restaurants...even my cat wouldn't stoop to that level.

What bothered me they most about the "Hippie Family" was how Ass...oops I mean Ash....talked incessantly and never said anything. He didn't make any sense at all....well to me anyway. I also had no idea that Ass was the the Dad either...I thought he was another kid. Big Ed and his verbally bashing wife were unbearable as well. If I had to choose, I'd live with the Hippie family....even though Ass was condescending and irritating, at least he was quiet.

I found some "postings" on infoshopnews.com that might really be from Sienna Kestrel. Here's her posting regarding last night's show, and a link to the entire thread of postings. She called the entire show a hoax and seems pretty bitter about the experience. Also, check out her first post. She says talks about [the] Intentional Cummunity and says "none of us are married in a conventional sense." So, Sienna and 'Ash may not even be married.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...51025150124576

Wife Swap - #36 ; $20,000 To An Interesting Family
    Authored by: Anonymous on Wednesday, October 26 2005 @ 05:21 PM PDT
    So we DID this stupid show last month. We knew it was going to be difficuilt at best, but it turned out much worse. Our episode airs on the 7th of November. We started out thinking what a great scam, then got excited by the idea of putting memes forth in a freegan "let them pay for the airtime to put our words out there" kind of spirit and ended up feeling bruised by the monster....

Here's a a copy of a press release that we responded to yesterday. We probaby lost the 20K by doing so, as we're contracted to not talk to any press source that ABC has not pre-arranged, but since we've taken so many other chances at blowing the money all the way through the filming etc, we thought it still best to speak up. It might be futile as the editing will likely make us look like idiots to one degree or another C'est la vie, right?

Humph... hope y'all can follow the thread of the conversation, the parentheses were my responses back.

Subject: lies about the 11/7 wife swap episode
    To: letters@thefutoncritic.com

"Whoever provided you with this press release was as full of it as the folks I had to deal with at RDF/ABC. The whole "experience" is an exggeration and a hoax. What was filmed, let alone what will be shown is, NOT representative in any truthful way of the life my family leads. You should try exposing THAT scam to the public and see where it goes. Now that's drama

Sienna, 'Ash & Ian Kestrel"

and the intro to ABC/RDF Media directly...

"Stef, (Wagstaff, ex. producer)

After you're done reading this, perhaps you might want to send it on to Priscilla.(press agent) She told us that we'll be needing to do press type stuff and you should be aware that I won't be corroberating lies like this press release is spouting...

The whole "experience" is an exggeration and a hoax. What was filmed, let alone what will be shown is, NOT representative in any truthful way of the life my family leads.

Sienna, 'Ash & Ian Kestrel

read on for some clarifications....

WIFE SWAP (11/7; FULL)
    Air Date: 11/7/05 (MONDAY)
    Time Slot: 8:00 PM-9:00 PM EST on ABC
    Episode Title: "Heiss/Kestrel"

A WOMAN WHO DOES EVERYTHING AND MORE FOR HER THREE SUPER-INDULGED CHILDREN AND HER “MAN-OF-THE-HOUSE” HUSBAND SWAPS LIVES WITH AN ENERGY-CONSERVING, HIPPIE MOM WHOSE FAMILY DOES ALL HOUSEWORK TOGETHER AND WHOSE HUSBAND LIKES TO WEAR A SKIRT, ON “WIFE SWAP”

This week in “Heiss/Kestrel,” a devoted housewife and mother who does all the cooking and cleaning for her overindulged teenagers and husband in their modern appliance-outfitted home swaps lives with an eco-friendly hippie mom who detests materialism

(we're huge materialists by our definition, however we find the fetishizing of consumerism distasteful, not detestful...)

and whose family of three shares household chores and works together to keep their meager

mea·ger also mea·gre ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mgr)
    adj.
    Deficient in quantity, fullness, or extent; scanty.
    Deficient in richness, fertility, or vigor; feeble

This word "meager" does not descibe anything about our life

household afloat, on ABC’s “Wife Swap” -- the critically-acclaimed, unscripted

(except where the phone calls comes in daily from the offices and one is told what words to say so they can re-shoot the "scenes"...)

reality show that takes us into the intimate heart of the American family home to reveal the extraordinarily different ways families live -- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Each week from across the country, two families with very different values are chosen to take part in a two-week-long challenge. The wives from these two families exchange husbands, children and lives but not bedrooms to discover just what it’s like to live another woman’s life. It’s a mind-blowing experiment that often ends up changing their lives forever.

Susan Heiss (49), who lives in an upscale neighborhood in Rhode Island, does all the cooking and cleaning herself for her loud, boisterous Italian-American family.

(don't forget the maid service that comes in regularly...)

Her larger than life husband, “Big” Ed (50), runs his own business and is truly king of the castle. He likes his nine TVs and every modern convenience money can buy. He is also used to having everything the way he likes it, thanks to Susan. The family’s three teenagers, Jenna, Britney and son Ryan, are equally indulged by their mother and would never dream of raising a hand to help her do anything.

(they do help out, not as much as I believe they should, but they do their own laundry and feed the dogs, garbage, etc. )

For the Heiss family members, their wishes are Susan’s commands.

Susan ventures to the energy-conserving Virginia home of dreadlocked couple Sienna (34) and 'Ash (24) Kestrel, and Sienna’s

(OUR son!)

12 year-old son, Ian. Not only do young purple haired Ian and his skirt-wearing stepfather, 'Ash, share in the housework, they also team up with Sienna to make their living by diving through local dumpsters for food

(this is bullsh*t! We have never made any living or money of any sort from getting food out of a dumpster! We sell plants, herbs and baked goods made from ingredients that come from our organic garden at the local farmer's market. Our kitchen has passed the State of VA Dept. of Health inspection. What kind of damage do you think this absurd statement is going to do to our livelihood damn it.)

and cast-off furniture.

(We make our livings through portraiture modeling and our own crafts business, Kestrelishisms LLC, as well as refurbishing cast off collectables for Ebay and flea markets.)

The family do all they can to make certain their income stays below the poverty level.

(We do nothing of the sort. Our income this past year has been below poverty level which does not mean it has ever been before or will stay that way, or that we DO anything to keep ourselves in "poverty"!)

For the Kestrels, shunning

("redefining" is the accurate word here)

the American dream is a way of life.

In the first week of the swap, Susan is appalled when she must join her new family to ask for handouts of food at a local bakery and to dumpster dive

(Susan never dumpster dove nor were there hand-outs at a local bakery. Our friends who own an area anarchist info shop and coffee house gave 'Ash a wrapped sandwich plate that was bought by the crew, and touted as a "day-old" plate, for the camera's benefit to make a point about wastefullness) (Not that we don't but they wouldn't let us really do it on camera for insurance purposes..)

Meanwhile, astonished Sienna spends hours cooking and cleaning for her new family while they ignore her and party all night in their Jacuzzi.

In week two of the swap, when the wives change the rules, Susan brings her new family into the 21st century by not only installing new appliances, including a dishwasher,

(which never even worked in our home. Another conspicous waste of money to rent multiple appliances that wouldn't fit into our electric sockets!)

but also by telling hippie 'Ash to get a haircut and a job.

(Where he made LESS money in 6 hours dispensing product at minimum wage than a half day at work at the art studio or 20 minutes of selling our crafts and juggling toys while dancing with and teaching children at local festivals and craft fairs...)

Sienna, tired of her overindulged new family, bans the use of all electrical appliances at home,

(Not true, I suggested, as I don't enforce rules on others, that they give up the dishwasher, clothes dryer, TV/video games and hair dryers for 3 days. All other appliances were unmentioned. They did none of it.)

makes Big Ed wear a skirt to get in touch with his feminine side

(ABC forced that issue on Ed without me, directly voilating an agreement Ed and I had made, me=no shaving my legs, Ed=no skirt wearing)

and forces
    (No forcing at any time...)
    the family to work together to cook meals and wash dishes. (although it was a challenge...)

At the end of the swap, when the couples reunite and come face to face with one another, will the powwow be, according to Big Ed, a “bada bing” or a “bada bust”?

“Wife Swap” is an RDF Media production. It was created by Stephen Lambert and is executive-produced by Lambert, Jenny Crowther, Wendy Roth of RDF Media (“Faking It” and “Junkyard Wars”) and Michael Davies of Embassy Row (“Who Wants to be a Millionaire”). Stef Wagstaffe is the co-executive producer

The experience was basically horrific, we have been in conflict with the office folx the entire time and there's so much more to the story than I have energy to post here. The crews on both sides however, were ALL great, supportive people. We certainly would have walked had we not developed some solid relationships with the crew. My advice on this...

If you can take 2 weeks of insane aggravation that will only further strenghthen your resolve to life your life in the way you're already doing it, then take Disney's stupid money and put it forth to advance the movement your working with.

Start jail funds, buy those solar panels, share it with your community, pay off your debts, open an info shop, build a cabin in the woods where you never have to deal with the media again...

If you're going to do it, think like them, use soundbites and advance the memes. Plan ahead more than we did and don't get intimidated or frustrated at the pushiness of the format.
    I still think it's better that intellegent & articulate antipreneurs & activists go on shows like this and portray a sensible way of life. Seems a better idea than to let ABC/Disney find the fringe folx who are not really representative of anything radical, but claim to be living "alternatively" become the spokepeople of any movements.

What is somewhat heartening to me is that they are able to consistantly find at least some alterna-families out there doing interesting things with their politics and lives. perhaps it will start to hit people on 123 Smallmind Rd in Xtainville, KY that we all exist in greater numbers than co realized and this country is not as homogenous as co thinks.

Dunno, I gistill have a little faith left after this daymare. If anyone here ends up seriously considering this show or one like it, either 'Ash or I would be willing to fill you in more on our take of things.

be well, become better

Sienna Kestrel

+ Reply to Thread