+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Made in the USA!

Made in the USA!

Heard about this new show that starts on Wed night at 10! It's where everyday inventors compete for a contract with the Home Shopping Network for a year. I think it sounds pretty cool, considering the prize money can be limitless. Can't wait to check it out.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

The show will start in 10 minutes for those interested.

Did you watch it last night? What did you think of the finalists? Some of those inventions were out-of-this-world... and Karim Rashid was SO funny.

Benjamin Franklin.

I watched it!! It was really interesting...especially when you hear how these people thought up the product. Like, the older couple with the BBQ thingymabob... he was shaking something out of the tongs and thought, "there's gotta be something easier". I've never had to shake anything out of my bbq tongs, ever. So, I didn't really get that product.

The one invention that I was REALLY surprised that they turned down was the babyseat/stroller. I have no idea why they chose the instant waterfall (or whatever it's called) over the stroller/carseat.

Also, how they had one person from each team try and sell a banana!! Of course I was imagining myself trying to do it.....and yea, that would have been way difficult to do.

Good show...hopefully more people will watch it.

I wonder what a year contract with HSN entails? Obviously your product wouldn't be sold every single day, for a year.. so it makes me wonder what the contract specifies. In a 12 month period, your product is showcased...6 times? 12 times? I'm curious about that..does anyone know?
    Last edited by Maveno; 09-15-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I only watched about 10 minutes of it. It's not for me.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    The one invention that I was REALLY surprised that they turned down was the babyseat/stroller. I have no idea why they chose the instant waterfall (or whatever it's called) over the stroller/carseat.

I wonder what a year contract with HSN entails? Obviously your product wouldn't be sold every single day, for a year.. so it makes me wonder what the contract specifies. In a 12 month period, your product is showcased...6 times? 12 times? I'm curious about that..does anyone know?
    Yeah, the Stroller/carseat was SO cool. That and the shoulder pad/water drinking thing..I thought that was very useful. I totally did not understand the waterfall at all...I think it's gonna be an interesting path for them to make it more marketable.

I don't know about the contract, I am sure more will be revealed as the contest goes on...Glad you're enjoying it! It's fun to talk with everyone about it.

Benjamin Franklin.

I dunno if you guys realized, but they changed the time on the show to Fridays at 10am... I am still enjoying it so I'll fire up the Tivo!

Benjamin Franklin.

So the final three are the fast pack, the shoe ladies, and gorilla gripper guys...Who do you think is going to win? I think the shoe girls really have the best product for the HSN set, but I think the other two contestants are pretty powerful contenders...Interested to see how it goes!

Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Newbie

When is the last episode?

Hey I looked on my tivo this morning and there are no more episodes listed did I miss the finale?? I hope not my husband and I watched this whole show together .

Never mind answered my own question went to USA network page . It outta to be illegal not to air the finale of a show what if they had done that to Friends TV execs SUCK.
    GypRoseLee
    Watching 22 hours of reality shows a week

MSNBC.com

Q: I saw a recent question in the MSNBC archive about a show called “Made in America”. I was wondering...might the questioner have inadvertently misled you? Perhaps s/he (not I) really was asking, instead, about the recent USA Network show “Made in the USA” which appeared a few times in prime time, then had new episodes suddenly materialize on Friday mornings (???) Perhaps s/he wanted to know about that show...as in “what happened to it”? —Bram

A: Heh. I feel like Emily Litella on "Saturday Night Live." "Never mind!" No, seriously, the writer had asked about a Web site for "Made in America," and I supplied that answer. But it's entirely possible he or she meant to ask about "Made in the U.S.A.," a different show.

I talked to a spokesman for "Made in the U.S.A.," which was intended as a six-episode reality show featuring inventors and their inventions. He told me that while the show was "different and fun" and that there was no shortage of inventors with cool products, the show just never took off, and ratings were low. (Certainly, those already-low ratings were only hurt by two time-slot changes — and in this case, it was especially bad because the show depended on viewer votes to determine a winner.)

The result? The show was yanked early, and the final episode never aired, though viewers can watch clips of it on USA's Web site. The winners were San Diego Charger Sammy Davis and his partner, Chris Spenser, and their Hydromax system. Inspired by their own sports experiences, the system provides a protected water bottle underneath a football player's pads, so he can stay hydrated while out on the field. It sounds very crushable to me, but Davis says he's tested it in real game experiences, so maybe not. They won a year-long contract to sell their product on Home Shopping Network.

Some inventors have asked how they can get their products on this show. I'd say since the first season got such poor ratings, don't look for a second season. Yet the Web site still offers a spot where you can enter your e-mail address to be notified if there ever is a season two, so would-be inventors, go ahead and sign up ... just don't bet the farm on it. —G.F.C.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, there ya have it folks. The hydrating football pads. Just thought I'd share the news I read today.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread