+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKATING the Bottom of the Reality TV Barrel?

SKATING the Bottom of the Reality TV Barrel?

FOX Introduces Latest Copy: SKATING WITH CELEBRITIES

by SnowflakeGirl

FansofRealityTV.com – What do you get when you take ABC’s DANCING WITH THE STARS, downgrade it to a network with a reputation for shameless copies, and apply it to an activity that is even lamer and wussier than ballroom dancing (to everyone except pre-teen girls and post-menopausal grannies). Why, you just might have the latest permutation of Reality TV formulas and clichés: FOX’s SKATING WITH CELEBRITIES.

This “new” show will pair six pro-skaters with six arguable “celebrities” (i.e. SURREAL LIFE rejects—and if you can’t get on that show, you are definitely just one rung above diving in dumpsters for your lunch) and pit them against one another in a pairs competition for an “unprecedented” figure skating title.

Nancy Kerrigan, Kurt Browning and Tai Babilonia will be among the professionals to participate, and Olympic Gold Medalist Scott Hamilton is set to host. Fellow Olympic Gold Medalist Dorothy Hamill will be a featured judge.

FOX released this list naming the celebrity/professional figure skater pairs this week:

- Actor/comedian Dave Coulier ("Full House") with two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Nancy Kerrigan;

- Olympic decathlon gold medalist and television personality Bruce Jenner with world champion pairs figure skater Tai Babilonia;

- Actor Todd Bridges ("Diff'rent Strokes") with three-time U.S. national pairs figure skating champion and world championship medalist Jenni Meno;

- Actress Kristy Swanson ("Dude, Where's My Car?", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") with two-time Olympic pairs figure skating medalist and world champion Lloyd Eisler;

- Singer/songwriter/actress Deborah Gibson with four-time world figure skating champion Kurt Browning;

- Television personality, reporter and weather forecaster Jillian Barberie ("Good Day LA," "Fox NFL Sunday," "Good Morning, Miami") with three-time U.S. pairs figure skating champion and world championship medalist John Zimmerman.

The series will last for six episodes, each with a specific theme for performance. Each pair will have worked extensively with Five-time U.S. national ice dance champion and Emmy Award-winning choreographer Michael Seibert, U.S. and world figure skating champion and director/choreographer Randy Gardner and three-time U.S. ice dance champion Renee Roca to create unique new routines.

FOX's executive vice president of alternative programming, Mike Darnell promises, "This competition will require our celebrity skaters to not only demonstrate rhythm, but also athleticism, grace and balance … on ice, and before a team of unforgiving judges with both Olympic and world championship experience. No doubt there will be plenty of falls, bruises and scary moments." Yup, most likely 80% of the people who tune in will be there for the falls.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Tada
    Oh my god, I swear, just last month I actually was joking about ideas for reality shows, and I said this, and this is a direct quote... "What occupation is reality TV going to take on next? Skating?"

I must have ESP. Scary.

I confess - I lurve to watch skating on TV (and I'm neither a granny nor a pre-pubescent girl) AND I think Kurt Browning is 'da man. Talk about footwork.

That said, I'm rather horrified that someone gave this the greenlight. *insert lame joke about network programming "skating on thin ice" here*

BUT - Will I be watching? You bet your short-flouncy-sequined-skirt-wearing butt. This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I don't want to miss it. *does triple-lutz in celebration*
    Last edited by ADKLove; 09-08-2005 at 11:05 AM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

This “new” show will pair six pro-skaters with six arguable “celebrities”...

This show has train wreck written all over it.

When is it scheduled to debut?

I feel sorry for the skaters....
    A long and wicked life followed by five minutes of perfect grace gets you into Heaven. An equally long life of decent living and good works followed by one outburst of taking the name of the Lord in vain—then have a heart attack at that moment and be damned for eternity. Is that the system?
    - Robert Heinlein

Remeber that SNL skit with Nancy Kerrigan and Chris Farley skating pairs? Yeah - that's just what this is going to be.

Of course, I'll be watching - can't pass up the opportunity to see "celebrities" fall on their butts in spandex! Plus, John Zimmerman is hawt! Most of those girls are pretty slim, so I don't think the guys will have any problem lifting them. If I were Jenni Meno or Nancy Kerrigan, I'd be very afraid.

My prediction: Bruce Jenner will look like a giraffe on skates.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

John Zimmerman will make up for Lloyd Eisler (you skating fans know what I mean )

Actually, what on earth are he or Kurt Browning doing here? Oy. I think I'll have to go listen in on the behind-the-scenes chatter at the figure skating board.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by fluff

This show has train wreck written all over it.
    Yes, yes, yes! And I can't wait!! When I think of this show, I'm reminded of a t-shirt that I love. It says " It's always funny until someone gets hurt- then it's hilarious!"

Quote Originally Posted by cmgal
    When is it scheduled to debut?
    I'm sorry, cmgal, that info was not included in the press release.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast