+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKATING the Bottom of the Reality TV Barrel?

I just saw the promo for this new show and I am horrified! My first thought was about those sharp blades and delicate necks... This is a disaster waiting to happen.
    home at last

Skating isn't even CLOSE to the bottom of the reality barrel. This is a genre which has featured midget weddings.

Then again, having Todd Bridges and Dave Coulier as "the stars" DOES take it MUCH closer to the edge of the precipice than it might have been otherwise...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Premium Member
    They just now showed a quick promo during the Seahawks/Titans game.. all I saw were bodies spilled all over the ice. Trainwreck waiting to happen is probably right.
    I'm disappointed that this has become such a joke. Speaking as a post-menopausal non-granny, I personally love skating, I have been a skater myself, and it is not "lame" or "wussy". It's darned hard, and when done well it's a very beautiful to watch. I do plan to watch just because I'm such a skating junkie that I will watch anything on ice, and partly because I'm curious to see if they can really pull it off.

FYI, the premiere is scheduled for Wednesday January 18. It then moves to its regular Monday timeslot on Monday January 23.

Premium Member
    Imagine if they would just pick a night for these new shows and then stick with the same night until the end. It's so irritating trying to keep up with it all. At least my DVR will find it whenever it's on so I won't have to think quite so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    They just now showed a quick promo during the Seahawks/Titans game.. all I saw were bodies spilled all over the ice. Trainwreck waiting to happen is probably right.
    I'm disappointed that this has become such a joke. Speaking as a post-menopausal non-granny, I personally love skating, I have been a skater myself, and it is not "lame" or "wussy". It's darned hard, and when done well it's a very beautiful to watch. I do plan to watch just because I'm such a skating junkie that I will watch anything on ice, and partly because I'm curious to see if they can really pull it off.
    ITA with all you say. I've also skated and know that skaters are true athletes. Skaters and gymnasts have more control over their bodies than any other athlete I can think of. The fact that they make it entertaining and beautiful to watch is a tribute to their skill.

I'll definitely be watching this show.

Count me in as a former skater (and skating judge) who will be watching out of sheer skate-junkie status. My former ice dancing partner (who is still a national level skating judge) wouldn't even watch "Dancing with the Stars" because of the cheese factor, but I was there for every show. I'm a sucker for anything athletic and artistic!

How tall is Dave Coulier, anyway? Nancy isn't exactly tiny; I think she's about 5'5", although that's drawing on some old memories. It has scary written all over it. Maybe her size is the reason she got the guy who could actually skate, if only hunched over like an ape.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12