+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WB's 'Surreal' Nets Hammer a Deal

WB's 'Surreal' Nets Hammer a Deal

WB's 'Surreal' Nets Hammer a Deal

Mon Feb 10,12:37 AM ET
    By Michael Schneider

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - It's Hammer Time again.

Rapper-cum-reality star MC Hammer, who's re-entered the public spotlight thanks to his stint on "The Surreal Life, " has sealed a blind script deal at the WB.

Hammer, who recently signed with Endeavor for representation, would star in a half-hour sitcom based on his present family life. Renegade Prods., which produces "The Surreal Life" for the WB, is also behind the Hammer script.

"Surreal Life," which airs Thursdays on the WB, features B-level celebs including Hammer, Emmanuel Lewis, Corey Feldman and Vince Neil all living together for 10 days in the Hollywood hills.

"MC became a father figure in the ('Surreal Life') house with everybody," said Jay Renfroe, who is partnered in Renegade with David Garfinkle. "He was a mentor to everyone. David and I looked at each other and said, 'This guy has to have his own show."'

Hammer, who's won three Grammy Awards and eight American Music Awards, has focused on religion in recent years, having become an ordained minister. He frequently appears on the Trinity Broadcasting Network preaching the Gospel.

"His charisma is unbelievable," Garfinkle said. "He's got so much presence."

Hammer's string of hits include the 1990 album "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em," which sold 17 million copies and included the single "U Can't Touch This." Hammer's crotchless parachute pants, as seen in a number of his music videos, became the stuff of pop culture legend.

Hammer's also known for his rebound after a bout with bankruptcy in the mid-1990s, documented by one of VH1's most popular "Behind the Music" segments. The rapper will release a new CD, "The Greatest Dancer," sometime this year.

so, uh... what's up with Vince's deal?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I think Vince's appearance is only a one-show deal, and from reading that article, Hammer is getting a sitcom.
    I still wonder on what WB show do they plan Vince to make an apperance.

ahhh, that's right.
    I guess Vince could appear on Hammers show
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fanatic
    well, thank goodness it wasn't Corey.

BTW I just saw the Corey Haim true Hollywood story, and CF was on it talking about how he had taken CH to the same rehab that he had gone to, but sadly it didn't work for CH. I think I'd rather deal with junkie Corey Haim than clean and sober Corey Feldman.

Does anyone remember the MC Hammer cartoon series? The only thing I recall about it was that the cartoon Hammer would use his pants to kind of fly. He could jump off high places and float with those baggy pants.

hmmm I wonder if Mr Feldman really is all that clean and sober??? ..... who in hell takes 20 minutes to crap?

Dustbunny

Originally posted by Dustbunny
    hmmm I wonder if Mr Feldman really is all that clean and sober??? ..... who in hell takes 20 minutes to crap?
    Dustbunny
    People who don't eat enough roughage, maybe. Maybe Corey needs more salad in his diet. And a few laps around the block. But then, dwelling on CF's bowel habits isn't a thrilling topic to think about, so I think I'll leave it at that, LOL

more salad?? good grief.. he is already a vegetarian... how many heads of lettuce, bunches of broccolli, bushels of turnips & carrots can one ex-superstar eat?? LOL!! hahahahha Gromit I agree... dwelling on his bowel habits is not a pleasant thought before bed...

Dustbunny

Hammerman... 1991-92

We asked nicely – “Please Hammer, Don’t Hurt ‘Em.” But that didn’t stop MC Hammer from relentlessly stomping all over his enemies each week on the animated adventure series Hammerman.

In the fall of 1991, the former Stanley Burrell was too legit to quit showing off his exceptional musical and dancing skills, so he channeled them into a weekly children’s cartoon.

Hammerman told the tale of an ordinary guy named Stanley, a super dope homeboy from the Oaktown, who worked at a kids' recreational facility. Whenever trouble lurked, all Stanley had to do was put on his Magic Dancin’ Shoes and, quicker than you can say “proper,” he turned into the superhero Hammerman.

The dancin' crimefighter's main nemesis was the arch villain Boss Grindenheimer, who did his damage from behind bars via his loyal henchmen. Always looking to promote a positive image, each episode would end with the real Hammer expounding upon the day’s learned lesson, which usually focused on youth-oriented problems like vandalism, drug abuse and gangs.

Hammer believed in the project, lending his own voice to his cartoon likeness, contributing a different song each week, and making sure the character always acted as a solid role model. But after only one season, ABC executives brought down the hammer, canceling Hammerman.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast