+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip this House - on A&E

Also, you have GOT to love a company that values you so much they allow you to bring your new baby to work! Go Trademark!
    Go Tigers!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLaLa Linoleum
    Bergi -- I agree with you about Ginger, but I am biased as I know her very well ... she is a really terrific person and we are all very proud of her and of this show. I have to admit that I just about choked on my pretzels when she talked about her "bad ass sunglasses"!!! Go Ginger ... and I also agree with the other poster: I want to get some Dawn lessons. When I get all "Dawn" at my house, there is about a 2 second delay, and then peals of uncontrolled laughter.
    You're a lucky person!

FORT Newbie
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by Bergi
    bump

huh???

Bergi, why bump a thread when no one has anything to say? Did you want to, perhaps, add a comment about the latest show instead?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

9/19 new episode

wow, a new episode and featuring Ginger. I only caught the last 15 minutes but Ginger complains about being a termite magnet. We all have out gifts Ginger. They took an old 2 bedroom house and flipped it in about 12 days, but they changed it from a 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom loft type conversion. A great starter home, new stainless steel appliances, new heartwood pine floors for $130,000 and willing to go to $125,000. Ginger hoped her friend would buy it, me I would have snapped it up does she have a clue how expensive homes are and to get an entire house for that. Hey I would have rented it. You have to pay $1,000 for a one bedroom apt around here or more, I would rather have the house.

FORT Newbie
    Yes, here in Los Angeles that house would go for $300,000 easy. I'm jealous.

I've read stories here in the LA Times about real estate agents that had to console literally crying wives who couldn't believe the step down they would have to take in real estate in order to live here in California. They might have last lived in what I would consider a mini-mansion located on a golf course in South Carolina and end up moving into a urban condo because that's all they can afford. (Take heed all you out of staters before moving here to the Golden State!)

I think converting to one large loft was really the only way to go because everyone was commenting on how small the existing 2 rooms were...the only other option would be to build a larger second floor and the cost for that would be so high as to make the whole project unworkable.

All that said, I am by no means a real-estate expert, in fact I rent! So my ideas could be full of ka ka!

Ginger's friend wouldn't buy the house mostly (I believe) because she couldn't get the vision out of her mind of how bad the house looked and smelled when she first saw it...Ginger invited her friend over to see the house without knowing what condition it was in during the construction phase and it was a disaster...that was a costly mistake I am sure Ginger will learn from.

I feel sorry for Ginger that the house was in such bad condition...but she bought it without ever seeing the inside or, of course, inspecting the roof or the sub-flooring and that's what really killed her on this one.

I wonder how much it would cost to throw up an new wall into the loft? If it's true that a small two bedroom will sell better than a large and open loft then maybe that's the thing to do but I don't think Trimark wants to re-construct a house it has already completed once.

(Maybe they could offer a discount for the cost of a new wall and then have their construction crew build it for whomever buys the house...I wonder if something like that would work?)
    Last edited by scrow9; 09-19-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scrow9
    I've read stories here in the LA Times about real estate agents that had to console literally crying wives who couldn't believe the step down they would have to take in real estate in order to live here in California. They might have last lived in what I would consider a mini-mansion located on a golf course in South Carolina and end up moving into a urban condo because that's all they can afford. (Take heed all you out of staters before moving here to the Golden State!)
    That was me when I moved from Michigan to New York in 2001. I cried like a little baby for days because of the crap that was for sale out there. I was literally looking at one bedroom apartments (being sold as condos) that had holes in the wall, stove doors hanging off on one hinge, mangy carpet that hadn't been changed in 50+ years, etc.. and they were listed for $200,000+. It was absolutely, thoroughly disgusting. And I didn't want to get into an apartment because they were all going for $1600+, with the comparable ones going for $2100-$2200. And that was 4 years ago!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I took an interior design course about 2 yrs ago and my instructor had lived in New York just a couple of blocks away from the WTC, she and her husband and 2 golden retrievers lived in an 800 sq ft apartment and paid $3,000 a month for the priveledge. Part of that cost was the location. She hadn't driven or owned a car since she moved there from Vermont. But still $3,000 a month. That is unbelievable.

RVD
    FORT Newbie
    NY is nuts. buddy just bought a 1+ bedroom 1000 sq ft condo (well, co-op over there) in the east village...1.2 million. it's an old 6 story building...the unit is ok but nothing special (laminate counters, non-stainless steel appliances, etc.) but has vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors. the enclosed dining room has been converted to a 2nd bedroom and there's a breakfast area that they use as their dining room.

that same 1.2 million in SoCal (which is another "hot" market") will get you a brand new 2400 sq ft townhome 5 minutes walking to the beach with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, loft, deck, etc.

go to TX and you're living like a king.

RVD.

+ Reply to Thread