+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip this House - on A&E

I watched the one today on John's Island. Richard is an awesome man! To put those people in a hotel until the house got restored is amazing. He's a lot braver than I am. I can understand people having a hard time and all but he took a big gamble moving them back in the house. I mean, he saw the way the people(and poor animals) lived. Who's to say they'd all of a sudden respect that house and take proper care of it. Heck, I'd venture to say that the animals weren't even up on their shots. And their property surely shouldn't have been allowed to be put back in the house. Richard and others said it just reeked. That car he had restored was beautiful! I honestly hope that family really realises and respects what all was done for them. I'd like to see a follow up on this one.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

FORT Newbie

The Trouble With Gus Episode

Up until this episode I thought the business owner was a bit of a jerk but this episode he really showed another side of himself...he did something VERY nice.

I have to agree with the previous poster that Gus and family will not suddenly change their living habits just because they now have a brand new house to live in and a new car, all for free! They live that way because they don't know any better.

The cats, dogs and furniture are still full of fleas and those junkers will soon be parked in the garage, the lawn, the back yard. Is Gus not going to drink his beer and throw his empty cans into piles like he did before?

I hope that I am dead wrong about this and that Gus and his wife turn over a new leaf but I think the odds are very much against it. He will have to evict them in 3 months or see his small profit go up in smoke.

Gus is going to be renting the updated house for what, like $900 per month...what a great deal particularly since anyone else would have thrown them out in the street.

I rent in Southern California ($1,248 for a SMALL one bedroom in a great area) because I cannot afford to pay the average home price which is something like $350 - $450,000 dollars and that won't buy you a mansion either. I just looked today at a nice 2 bedroom apartment renting for $2,000 a month and I would be lucky to get it.
    Last edited by scrow9; 08-21-2005 at 08:36 PM.

I thought what Richard did was very nice but I agree with the other posters and with Richards 2 employees, if Gus and his wife bring back that furniture back into the house the place will stink and have fleas, yes the junkers will show up and so will the piles of beer. That house will have to be redone in a yr, good thing they did not put any carpet in because it will just become infeased with fleas and flea eggs. Hopefully this is the chance those folks need to get back on their feet. I would love to see a follow up on this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergi
    The one with Ginger was great. Not to mention she's the hottest girl on the planet. Does anyone have picture of her?
    The hottest girl on the planet???

Here's a link to her picture on their website: Ginger
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Considering how many people Richard Davis employs and how many projects he has going I think this episode was a bit staged with Richard going after Kevin for not being there to be the foreman of the crew for the ranch house. We have seen another foreman before.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Obviously Kevin's vacation was somewhat of a manufactured drama. I mean he didn't just up and say, "Oh, I'm gonna go on vacation tomorrow." It was planned, and Richard knew about it before hand.

Richard really did a couple of nice things. Fixing up the house and allowing the family to rent it, as well as finishing the restoration of the El Camino was great. Promising to pay for college for the young man who worked on the other house was above and beyond.

Hopefully with the hand up, Gus and his wife will make some changes in their lives. Richard did set off a fogger in the shipping container their furniture was kept in, hopefully that did the job. I'm sure that Dawn and Ginger made sure that the lease on the house specified standards of cleanliness, as well as how many animals they could keep.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tellthetruth
    This show is a joke ! No reality except lies and deception. These houses have never sold as of 8/16/05 so beware flippers as this flipper seems to have accumulated a nest of floppers
    That's interesting. I was wondering how that real estate sales guy can sell a place in a day each time? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and right now the market is just plain stupid, but this is a freak thing and normally you'd sit on a place for a month or so for the sale, no matter how good the agent is.

Vlad

FORT Newbie
    My overall impression of this show is that its the best of them in terms of the 'flipping' shows on TV. As a real estate investor myself, I find most of these shows downright dangerous to newcomers as they tend to 'Hollywood' up the show a bit and always have a happy ending. Unfortuatnely it doesn't always work out that way, and like any business you have to 'go around the block' a few times to get it right.

At least this show looks at the process as professionals do, and the fact that they actually pay proper, licensed contractors to get the job done quickly speaks volumes over shows like Property Ladder which tends to suggest that anyone can do this, even if you have never lifted a hammer in your life. Jeesh...

There are definately flaws in these shows but this one is closer to the reality than most of the others. Yes, I know its just TV but I just don't want to see people not properly prepared for real estate investing losing their shirts over what is the 'hottest thing' in finance right now. I see a Internet bust coming....

Vlad

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by scrow9
    I rent in Southern California ($1,248 for a SMALL one bedroom in a great area) because I cannot afford to pay the average home price which is something like $350 - $450,000 dollars and that won't buy you a mansion either. I just looked today at a nice 2 bedroom apartment renting for $2,000 a month and I would be lucky to get it.
    I thought that the current average home price in So Cal was more like $525,000....

Vlad

FORT Newbie

So Cal Home Prices

I just read a report online that said that Orange County average home prices rose to $628,000 in 2004 and to just $600,000 for "the valley" so you may be right.

I was thinking of trying to buy a townhouse which would be less but in any case home prices here in Southern California have no basis in logic/value hence many people are talking about the bubble bursting.

+ Reply to Thread