+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip this House - on A&E

I hope Richard comes back! I can't stand the Montelongo's...they don't seem to care like Richard does.

new ep on tonight 10/08/06
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

9/8/06 comments

A new Montelongo show, now normally Armondo drives me nuts but the company actually did a nice thing. They bought a block of houses in a poor part of town and there is the mom and her adult kids renting them. They have told the families that they want to renovate the houses and then sell them back to them and do in 4 weeks. Before the meeting David, Armondo's brother and Veronica, Armondo's wife tell Armondo to shut up and let them do all the talking. I agree he can be overwhelming, terrifying and a jerk when he speaks and it is evident that his family knows it to and they do not want the 5 families scared at the talks. Armondo keeps quiet and all 5 families agree to the plan. The houses have not been worked on in 23 yrs, there are broken windows, holes in the walls, the plumbing does not always work and the neither does the electricity. The houses are in one block and and they were bought for $26,000 each. The budget is $15,000 per house and they plan to sell back to the renters. The Montelongos are concerned about getting the budget down cause they do not want to price the house out of the renters price range. The houses were built in 1961 and are 1,100 sq ft. The tours show basically shacks. The landlord was a slumlord. About half way through the reno 3 of the families call and say they will not be able to buy the houses. I do wish we had a further explanation of what happened. Armondo is pissed cause now he has 3 houses he needs to sell. Also someone came and stole a $350 bathroom out of one of the homes. He has a security fence put up and is leaving his two rottweillers out patrolling the place. The rottweillers just had puppies so Armondo is leaving the puppies there too. At this point I understand why he did what he did but as Animal Cop fan I want to call the ASPCA out on him for leaving puppies and 2 dogs out without shelter, food or water. The houses are finished on time Maria the mom get the keys to her home and her son Juan gets the keys to his. Armondo sells the other 3 houses to a real estate investor who buys property to rent. Melinda arranges a huge block party and everyone is happy.

Budget for each house was $15,000 with $5,000 for labor, $9,000 for materials and $1,000 for landscaping.

The houses were originally bought for $26,000 each for a total of $130,000.

The Montelongoes sold the houses to mom Maria and son Juan for $65,000. The other 3 homes were sold to the real estate investor for $62,000 each.

After spending a total of $75,000 in renovations the Montelongoes total investment was $205,000 and they sold all 5 houses for a total of $316,000 and made a profit of $110,000.

10/15/06 comments

It was supposed to be a new ep last night but instead it was the third time they have shown the Montelongos moving into a new house.

10/05/06 - the 'roach' house

The montelongos are back.

Armando searches the internet and finds a foreclosed property. They didn't pay their taxes and leaves in the middle of the night to check it out. mmmmm.... were are the San Antonio police when you need them. The next day all four check out the property. There bought it for $40,000. It was built in 1951, is 1100 sq ft, 3 bdrms and 1 bath. Armando wants to spend $15,000 and just 'lipstick' it. Flipper term for 'sugarcoating' slap paint on it redo the wood floors and carpet and sell it. There are problems. The bathroom floor is rotted because of a leak the bath and toilet and sink are blue and Armando wants to leave them in. Also after looking at the kitchen Armando, says to open up a passthrough on one wall and tear down the other wall blocking the way to the living room. They are losing cabinet space this way. He refuses to put int new cabinets, saying that all you have to do is degrease them and paint them. Well, after opening one up it is full of cockroaches, cockroaches start coming up out to the sink, they are all over the place. All the cabinets inside and out and the appliances are covered with cockroach poop. Instead of spending $300 on a professional exterminator Armando throws in a couple of bug bombs. The house is also a corner lot on a busy street aand the ladies want a privacy fence, cause their target market are young families and as moms they wouldn't let their kids play outside because of traffice. Of course Armando says it's waste of money. You really start to hate Armando for his cheap ass ways.

Brother Dave refuses to have anything to do with the house and tell Armando to take care of it. The negotiations with the contrators is interesting. The timeline is 2 weeks. Armando starts the negotiations with a bid of $9,000 and the contractors say $20,000. They go back and forth a couple of times and the budget ends up $13,000.

Armando is planning on going on vacation in a couple of days so he wants everything done. Still the water heater rusts out and starts to leak. This means a new hot water heater, I hope and they endup putting up an alcove outside so it can't flood the house and ruin the floors. 3 hours before Armondo plans to fly out to Baja, he and brother Dave find another leak. This time from the old bathtub plumbing. Armando begs Dave to take over cause he is leaving on vacation. Dave agrees. While on vacation the city inspector comes round finds that they are building without permits and pulls the electric meter so they can't work on the house. Before that happened, Dave, Melinda, decide that since Armando is away they will put up a privacy fence, and gut the bathroom. Good thing too, cause the toilet was also leaking and the walls of the bathroom are also rotted.

When Armando comes back from vacation he is furious that nothing has happened and he call Dave to come over and starts yelling at him about a long list of things. This part I like Dave just walks out and starts checking his messages on his blackberry and Armando does not realize that he is talking to the air. Finally, Armando comes out and Dave goes 'are you ready to listen'? Dave tells him about the work stopage and about the rot and leaks.

What I didn't like about this show is the editing. They threw the timeline off. Midway through the show you see the new fence being put up the outside being painted and the insides and yet when Armando comes back from vacation the house is not painted outside the trim is not on and neither are the shutters. Its very weird the back and fo ing of the contruction work.

Still the house is finished on time and it looks great. They sell it the first day for $110,000. The original purchase was for $40,000 plus $13,000 for renovations plus $4,000 for going over for a total of $57,000. They made a profit of $53,000.

Still for that kind of money I do think Armando should have put in new cabinents not 56 yr old ones, also considering that they lost a lot of cabinents and counter space by making a passthru and tearing down a wall. At least the new homeowner got a new bathroom and new hotwater heater. Still it is very hard to take Armando's know it all attitude.

I wouldnt buy anything that the Montelongos renovate..

They dont really do a proper reno and you can bet that that house still had rotting boards, mold & MUSHROOMS under it.

You cant just stick in a new bathroom and think that you removed all the mold/mildew etc..... that stuff is horrible it creeps and grows all through the wood and walls.

I had to have a commercial applicator come in and treat my entire basement with ozone (which meant myself and my pets had to leave for at least 12 hrs)
    And that was just to get rid of mildew that had started to grow in boxes of old books that I had stored in a room in my basement (the mildew is airborne and the entire house had to be treated to make sure that all of it was killed)..... it was nothing even remotely close to the stuff that Armondo slaps some new paint on or removes a piece of floor and thinks he has solved the problem.

I would bet money that if a mold/mildew dog went through Armondos houses after he is finished and ready to sell... that dog would *alert* all over the place!

Armondo's houses are horrible, I dont think they are safe to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleocatra;2131679;
    I wouldnt buy anything that the Montelongos renovate..

They dont really do a proper reno and you can bet that that house still had rotting boards, mold & MUSHROOMS under it.

You cant just stick in a new bathroom and think that you removed all the mold/mildew etc..... that stuff is horrible it creeps and grows all through the wood and walls.

I had to have a commercial applicator come in and treat my entire basement with ozone (which meant myself and my pets had to leave for at least 12 hrs)
    And that was just to get rid of mildew that had started to grow in boxes of old books that I had stored in a room in my basement (the mildew is airborne and the entire house had to be treated to make sure that all of it was killed)..... it was nothing even remotely close to the stuff that Armondo slaps some new paint on or removes a piece of floor and thinks he has solved the problem.

I would bet money that if a mold/mildew dog went through Armondos houses after he is finished and ready to sell... that dog would *alert* all over the place!

Armondo's houses are horrible, I dont think they are safe to live in.

What pissed me off about the show was his attitude about the roaches, who needs a professional just bomb the place. That and the markup from $40,000 to $110,000 for the amount of work they did. I wonder how many houses they do unpermitted work on. You can tell that is not a priority with them.

I haven't been following this show too much because ever since the original FTH crew from South Carolina and the producers of FTH and or HGTV had their spat the producers have just been repeating the 5 or so new shows about the Atlanta crew and the San Antonio crew and Armando's arrogance I can only take in small doses. I also depend on my normally trusty TV Guide as to when new eps are on. Well, there were 2 eps of the Atlanta crew I have not seen. The one were Angie decides to flip a property and one were Terence decides he wants to be junior project manager. First I must say I am amazed at the prices of the houses in Atlanta. I like the renovated houses but would I really want to live in the neighborhood. Still I am amazed that these folks can turn around a house in 1 to 2 weeks. Are they really doing a good job? How in the world do the local inspectors have a chance to check the wiring. In both episode especially the 1940's house on Cherokee St/Rd/Dr needed a wiring upgrade and probably the voltage increased. That looks shady to me. Still what did the two sisters expect, from a house built in the 40's, 60 yrs ago. Of course there would be problems. I am surprised I did not see a new roof go up. As far as Terrance's first project, I was very surprised to see the dumpster go in the front lawn. It so so easy to damage a lawn and so hard to fix afterwards. Another concern, after the front steps were bobcated off the house I noticed a hole in the house and just plywood covering it up. It was also there when they started putting up the deck. I hope they bricked it up, but I seriously doubt it. What surprised me is that Terrance made such dumb mistakes. He is in the business, he is surrounded by "experts" he should have made "to do" lists. He didn't know about mudding?? Or renting a heater?? He's on a job site in his "Sean John" sweats?? He obviously was only observing and not sweating.

BRING BACK CHARLESTON!

please!

FORT Fogey
    I haven't watched a full episode since they stopped featuring Trademark. These others seem like amateurs while Richard & Co. seemed like professionals who knew what they were doing and really cared about the quality of their work. Bring back Trademark.

+ Reply to Thread