+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip this House - on A&E

8/6/06 - San Antonio - Battle of the Sexes

The more I see of Armando the harder it is to like him. I am starting to actively dislike him, his attitude and his ethics. Armondo reminds me of Keith the designer who just got kicked off Project Runway for breaking the rules. I feel that both men play dirty and that both are OK with doing the dirty on others, even if there is collateral damage (Sergio losing the contract), but scream foul if the dirty is done to them.

There was a boys vs girls challenge as to who could get a house renovated, on budget, on time and sell it for the most profit. Armondo automatically gives his wife and sis-in-law an easy fixer upper and then states in a confessional that there are problems with the sewer pipes that the girls don't know about. What I would like to know is that the girls house also had termites but I never saw termite spraying as part of the budget and it was never mentioned. I get the impression that the house was sold with no termite treatment and there was no grass in the yard either just mulch. There should have been some minimal landscaping done. to those shrubs in the girls yard as they look very sad with broken limbs and things. I thought it was funny that the girls took Armondo's crew for lunch and help on their house. I though it very mean spirited of him to grab an ice cream bar out of the contractor's hand and throw it at the girls house. He was angry cause he didn't think of it first. Later, when Armondo turned the tables on the then and hired party girls and beer to hijack the girls crew it was turnabout was fairplay until the crews started barbecuing and Armondo stopped it and made the girls haul trash. He promised the girls a party and then backed out of it. That is not a man of honor, a man of his word. He had a verbal agreement that the girls were to get a party and he canceled that and made them haul trash. How low is that. He is getting lower and lower in my book and I am sure by San Antonio ep 3 he will be subhuman.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/13 - show discussion - Atlanta - West End House

If nothing else I am learning a bit about Atlanta, Morehouse College and the West End. I loved the house they redid, I do wonder at Sam's reaction to doing the foundation, the house was built in 1902 there are always problems in old houses. It was nice to see Sam's wife Shani do her decorating. !2 different colors of paint was a bit much but I like how she redid the fireplaces especially with the glass tile. I also liked how they said kitchens and bathrooms sell a house and thats were you need to spend a bit of money. I like this couple much better then the San Antonio family. Armondo drives me crazy and I just want to hit him with a baseball bat. The other think I do like is watching a professional crew go through the house and show how it should be done unlike the people in Property Ladder. Flip That House also tends to show slightly more professional people doing a good job than Property Ladder.

8/20 - Racho Malengro

Armando is back. The show revolves around the business getting a larger office space cause their current one is too small, not enough phone or computer lines. Brother Dave & wife find a 30,000 sq ft office space that already has renters so they buy it with the idea that the renters will be paying the mortgage.

Armando also likes to buy a home live in it for 2 yrs and flip it, that way he doesn't have to pay taxes on the profit he makes on the house. To be honest he is less arrogant and irritating than he usually in this ep. The Malengros sold their house and have 2 weeks to get their new one ready. The rancho is on 3 arces has a pool and a barn and rattlesnakes. Ah, friends for Armando. He gives Veronica, his wife 100,000 to redo the house cause it is all 80's style. $68,000 goes into the kitchen, mostly paying for trevatine floors, $9000, and granite countertops $6,800 and $9,000 for custom all wood cabinets. The travetine is laid down wrong, the tile guy has never laid stone only tile and Armando fired him, they had to destroy the floor and redo the tile it with someone who could lay stone tiles. According to Armando that was $2 or $3,000 down the drain. It also looks as if Veronica bought new furniture for the house. Of course, Armando bitched and complained about the cost of everything.

The redo took longer than 2 weeks and the Malengros ended up sleeping in a hotel room for a couple of nights and Armondo bitched about it costing him $189 a night. He sneaked in there dog, 4 parakeets, a boa constritor, and fish. He was upset that one of the birds and one fof the fish died. Ethically this guy is on another planet. Oh, when they finally moved into the house he got his son a pony.

Looks as if A&E is running a marathon for the holiday weekend.

9/17 - San Antonio Auction

I have very mixed feelings about the Montelongos. Armondo comes across so harsh and cruel. But I like that he knows the market. He has a crew and he goes in and fixes a house and gets out with a profit. Still watching this episode, I sometimes feel as if he is ripping the contractors off. He even gets interns and boy he likes to play some serious mind games with them I don't know what to think. I do like that he is trying to get Chris the intern to focus and I must admit when you are trying to teach someone what to look for in a house and his cell phone rings constantly, I too would love to just drive off. It was wierd but Chris had to catch a wild peacock to get back into Armondo's good graces. He did get 2 tail feathers, and did learn to listen to Armondo when he was giving valuable advice. One thing did bother me I have never heard of using mulch as filler and putting top soil over it to fill a huge hole in the ground. That seemed a very shacky way of doing things. Still I do wonder if any of these verbal contracts are ever written down??? Some of it seems a very shaky way to run a business.

FORT Fogey
    I watched one episode of the new season, the one with the new office space and the home Armando bought to flip for his family, and I have to say, this new season stinks. With Trademark, you got the feeling they wanted to do things inexpensively, but ensuring the structure was solid and livable. This new season feels like this guy is out for only making money and if he needs to cut a few corners, that's fine with him. No one on the new season is even likable (and there were plenty of people in Trademark I wasn't thrilled with, but at least there was something likable about pretty much all of them).

I think A&E blew this one and I won't be watching anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene View Post
    I watched one episode of the new season, the one with the new office space and the home Armando bought to flip for his family, and I have to say, this new season stinks. With Trademark, you got the feeling they wanted to do things inexpensively, but ensuring the structure was solid and livable. This new season feels like this guy is out for only making money and if he needs to cut a few corners, that's fine with him. No one on the new season is even likable (and there were plenty of people in Trademark I wasn't thrilled with, but at least there was something likable about pretty much all of them).

I think A&E blew this one and I won't be watching anymore.
    Yes it is hard to like any of the crew in San Antonio, Atlanta is easier to give a little bit of leeway. Still sometimes I wonder if flipping is another way of saying cutting corners. But after watching Property Ladder, Flip This House and Flip That House, and especially watching Property Ladder I would have a property inspector examine every square inch of the property looking for substandard work, from what I heard one of the flippers say on Flip That House that is not unusual in the LA area.

9-24-06 repeats

Another repeat of the Montelongo's although the TV Guide said it would be a new episode.

We watch this show as my b/f is getting into real estate. I am unimpressed with Armando. He really comes across as a jerk.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I hate the new season as well

Bring back the Charleston crew PLEASE!

+ Reply to Thread