+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip this House - on A&E

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...ction=business

DAVIS OFF A&E, ON TLC - "Flip This House" creator sues network

Richard C. Davis, a Charleston real estate entrepreneur turned cable TV personality, is flipped off.

The star and creator of A&E's "Flip This House" was replaced for the second season, which began airing Sunday evening. The good news, Davis said Tuesday, is that the show will return on a rival cable station this winter. All he has to do is think of a new name.

"That's the easy part," he said.

In the meantime, Davis and his James Island-based real estate company, Trademark Properties, are suing A&E Television Networks for breach of contract and fraud.

The lawsuit, filed July 20 in Charleston County Court of Common Pleas, alleges the cable network took Davis' idea for the show and has not paid him and Trademark their share of the revenue.

He said in court documents that an agreement with A&E stated the show must "prominently feature" Davis and Trademark, and that no episode be produced that does not include them in a lead role.

However, when the show returned for its new season Sunday, Davis and Trademark were gone. In their place were the Montelongo family, developers from San Antonio. This season also will feature Atlanta-based husband-and-wife team Sam and Shani Leccima.

According to his complaint, Davis created the show in April 2004 and owns the rights equally with A&E. Despite repeated requests, the lawsuit alleges, the network did not provide a written agreement.

The suit names A&E Television Networks, producers Departure Films and 20 other unidentified defendants. Davis is seeking damages in excess of $1 million. Dan Silberman, senior director of publicity for A&E in New York, declined to comment, saying the company does not comment on pending lawsuits.

"Flip This House" stemmed in large part from the local real estate boom. The first season centered on Davis and his team as they snapped up properties at bargain-basement prices, usually in the Charleston area, and fixed them up for a quick resale. It made them cable celebrities.

Davis said he has been inundated this week with e-mails and phone calls from viewers wanting to know why he's no longer on the program. On Tuesday morning, he said, 20 fans from Atlanta turned up in Trademark's lobby to make sure the cast members they'd seen on TV are real.

"I could not have dreamt up how supportive people have been about this," Davis said. "If America really liked the other show better, I'd lick my wounds and move on."

Sunday's season premiere, minus the Charleston connection, sparked derision from Trademark fans who protested on A&E's online chat rooms, demanding the return of Davis and the rest of the cast.

On Tuesday morning, A&E's Web site still featured Trademark as appearing on the show. By Tuesday afternoon the site was unavailable.

No matter, Davis said, because the show will return in December, this time on The Learning Channel.

The format will be the same: Davis hounding his staff to flip the house on time and on budget. Occasionally they fall out, but they always make up. Filming began in the spring and about eight shows are in the can, Davis said.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...ction=business

I finally watched this train wreck. What an arrogant asshat Armando is. Worse, he seems to genuinely believe he's a good businessman! Yeah, screwing over your workers, treating your women as second-class citizens, posing for a photo in thugwear is a real mark of professionalism. He'll make money now, but he won't be able to sustain a business with those ethics.
    He needs to take some lessons from Richard Davis.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Thanks for the report, Jedi Janey. I liked Flip This House much better than Property Ladder or the new cast on FLH. It was the personalities on FLH that made the show more interesting than the process of the flip itself. I loved the episode where the landscapers gave John a makeover.

There's something about John I like

Does anyone think it strange that A&E shows repeats of Richard's show at 7pm and the new FTH at 8pm? They are using the popularity of Richard to get viewers to watch. Sneaky or smart?? or both.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I watched the 2nd new episode and it looks as if A&E is showcasing yet another small firm but this time in Atlanta. Sam and Armando from San Antonio have much in common, they both want people to work for nothing do a good job and make them a huge profit and yell at everyone during the process.

It did look as if some things were being done half ass. I saw insulation in the attic during the demo but none but in during the reno. It is the south but don't you need insulation to keep the heat out???? That really bothered me.
    On one hand I could see buying that house but I didn't see any AC. It's the south it gets hot.

It did piss me off with the kids walking constantly through the backyard especially with a construction crew there. Are those folks blind or what?

I also think that you get what you pay for and I had issues with some of the construction. When the walkin closet was put in there is the possibility of the foundation shifting and the closet concrete pad splitting because it was not part of the official footing. Also don't you need a building permit to add footage to the house. I know they did not get one, I saw no building inspector or what ever. It came across as some very shady construction.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-30-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Does anyone think it strange that A&E shows repeats of Richard's show at 7pm and the new FTH at 8pm? They are using the popularity of Richard to get viewers to watch. Sneaky or smart?? or both.
    Not really. They've always shown previous episodes of FTH as a lead-in to the new episodes, so no, I don't see it as strange at all.

As for the crew from Atlanta in the newest episode, they did come across far more likeable than the San Antonio crew and that made the show easier to watch, thankfully.

FORT Newbie

episode in Atlanta

That was as bad as San Antonio. Those people were vulgar and low class. I mean atleast when Richard and Crew drank and acted stupid it was Funny. That one guy should not quit his day job, becasue contrary to what he think he is neither funny nor a good Singer. The owner of the company was CHEAP. Whoever purchased that house was in for a rude awakening. I hope Richard wins the lawsuit against A&E becasue they have ruined this show!

I won't be watching this show anymore. I saw the preview of "thug realtor" and couldn't stomach him.
    I hope Richard and crew get another show going.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I won't be watching this show anymore. I saw the preview of "thug realtor" and couldn't stomach him.
    I hope Richard and crew get another show going.
    Which one San Antonio or Atlanta???

+ Reply to Thread