+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List (Bravo)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    The difference between what Kathy does and what Jay did was that Jay said it to her face. It's not like Kathy goes up to Renee on the red carpet and calls her a puffy crack head to her face.

Exactly. Despite cathy being a comedienne, she as a woman is likeli insecure about her looks so i bet that hurt, enough for her to make light of it. I guess maybe she was surprised at how she reacted to it.

P.S. I believe the reason why she wont badmouth star, is because of the red carpet co-hosting for E!. Unfortunately, the cow may have enough pull to persuade that network to choose between the two of them.
    Last edited by Amy Lee; 09-03-2005 at 12:52 AM.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee
    Exactly. Despite cathy being a comedienne, she as a woman is likeli insecure about her looks so i bet that hurt, enough for her to make light of it. I guess maybe she was surprised at how she reacted to it.

P.S. I believe the reason why she wont badmouth star, is because of the red carpet co-hosting for E!. Unfortunately, the cow may have enough pull to persuade that network to choose between the two of them.
    Not to mention that Jay is "supposedly" her "friend". He knows that while she was doing self-effacing humor, that does not mean he's supposed to re-enforce that. While I know that he was just going for an easy laugh, he did it to a guest, and in a kind of mean way. Kathy wouldn't go up to Renee on the red carpet at the Oscars and call her a "sweaty, puffy coke whore" (I really just love that phrase, I call everyone that now) to her face.

Regardless, Kathy said on the podcast that she and Jay made up and she is still welcome at the Tonight Show.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    The difference between what Kathy does and what Jay did was that Jay said it to her face. It's not like Kathy goes up to Renee on the red carpet and calls her a puffy crack head to her face.

Also, what Kathy said was in the context of a stand-up routine. What Jay said was in the context of a talk show host to his guest - a person he is supposed to make comfortable and assist in promoting whatever the person is there to promote. It was a low blow. Plus "sweaty, puffy coke whore" (It is fun to say CK! ) is a snarky quip. What Jay said was basically "You're ugly" right to her face.

I pray for the day that Star Jones gets her comeuppance. Karma is a bitch baby and she's coming for YOU!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical

Also, what Kathy said was in the context of a stand-up routine. What Jay said was in the context of a talk show host to his guest - a person he is supposed to make comfortable and assist in promoting whatever the person is there to promote. It was a low blow. Plus "sweaty, puffy coke whore" (It is fun to say CK! ) is a snarky quip. What Jay said was basically "You're ugly" right to her face.

I pray for the day that Star Jones gets her comeuppance. Karma is a bitch baby and she's coming for YOU!
    Critical why must you always say everything that everyone wants to say!? Haha, anyway, yep, yep, and oh yeah, yep! One day Star will meet her fate and as for Jay, bleh Kathy can kick his arse in stand up comedy ANY day.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

No matter how you spin what she says about others ie, it wasn't to their face, her fingers were crossed when she said it, someone double dog dared her to do it, she got a taste of her own medicine. It sucked, it was hurtful and not that funny. Do mean words hurt any less when you are at home and you get flooded with emails/ phones calls that a comic is out saying you look like a coke head? All because she ALLEGEDLY said she didn't want you to present an award to her? What I don't get is all these exceptions for what she says about others but a No Dissing Kathy Clause is drawn up when her feelings hurt. Karma is a mean sneaky bee-otch and you never know when it will strike, for her it was on Leno's couch.

Finally, with all due respect, I love my FORTers but did I miss my Kathy Kool Aid dose? I feel like I'm the only person here is who is willing to acknowledge her hypocrisy. That being said, I think I'll return to my Big Brother 6 Kaysar Kult.
    P.S. No hard feelings, that was a joke. Save you key strokes to type a response. I get it, Kathy can do no harm LOL, enjoy the rest of the season.
    "He is like an Iraqi peach and I want to devour him...take the pit, plant it in the backyard, and HOPE to grow some more."- Marcellus on Kaysar

The thing for me that made it ugly... was Leno intended to hurt her feelings. He did not do it in a light joking manner. He called her ugly on national TV. If she was really a evil person... she would have pointed out that he is not exactly winning any beauty contest.

Nearly everything I seen Kathy do... her tone if always in a joking manner which leads to her making it a joke about herself. Plus there seems to always be a room full of witness-other celebrities that know what happen.... Kathy is the only one laughing about it... and later speaks of it. Its not as if she is telling state secrets. She is talking about her own experiences with the dim-witted self center people she works near.

I get the impression that Starr Jones, only power, comes from the fact that the View and the Oscars are shown on ABC. (aren't the Emmy's a ABC show too?) That alone would explain Starr's ability to be ugly to Kathy. Starr works for the ABC company. Where as Kathy is a contract employee for E!... whom Starr does not have to be nice to. Starr can plug away for E! on the View about the awards show... for weeks on end. Its free advertising VIA Starr... where as Kathy does not have a daily national TV outlet to talk about being on E!'s red carpet show...

Gaby, I think you hit the nail on the head. The difference between Kathy and Star/Leno are that their insults came from an ugly impulse (which is why their attempts to copy Kathy's comic style fell flat and were not funny. They don't get it. Really they remind me of those ugly souls on the Fiendship Big Brother alliance)).

Kathy's comedy comes from love. She really does hope that the targets of her comedy know she is joking and worries about hurting their feelings. I believe Kathy when she says her comedy comes from being a fan and is like an homage.

Once I saw how her parents "joke" with her even though they can say hurtful things, and especially once I saw her family came from Chicago, it all made perfect sense. My mother's family came from Chicago, and they all say hurtful jokes as a way of expressing their love. It is totally screwed up, I admit, but it makes for a great sense of comedy. Maybe you have to come from there to really "get" it, though.

I also think that the stupider the person is, the less likely they are to "get" Kathy.
    Smart women have an extra tough time in the world. I'm sure Leno felt threatened by the comic genius of a woman and therefore had to try and cut her down as a woman, by insulting how she looks.
    Last edited by Harvest; 09-04-2005 at 12:28 PM.

easily distracted
    Quote Originally Posted by macgrl08
    Finally, with all due respect, I love my FORTers but did I miss my Kathy Kool Aid dose? I feel like I'm the only person here is who is willing to acknowledge her hypocrisy.
    I didn't drink the Kool Aid either. I have mixed feelings about her willingness to dish it out but unwillingness to take it.

The only thing I'll add that no one else has said yet is that when Kathy dishes it out, she is generally dishing "up." That is, she is a self-proclaimed
    d-lister who is picking at the a-listers above her in the pecking order. Leno, to some degree, was dishing "down" when he picked on Kathy. That, and the fact that it was the "real" Jay chatting at the sofa and not "stand-up Jay" doing a routine probably made it seem to Kathy to be much meaner and much more of a surprise than when she picks on others in her act.

Having said that, I still think she should have been able to take what Jay said. I was really surprised that since she is someone who picks on others for a living she was so hurt.

What difference does it make if Kathy "can dish it out but can't take it"? She's not taking any moral high ground, where hypocrisy would seem to matter, she's a comedian desperate to be liked. People like her not because she bashes celebrities, but because she's so honest, even about being dishonest. Everyone recognizes a part of themselves in her, including the contradictions.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    What difference does it make if Kathy "can dish it out but can't take it"? She's not taking any moral high ground, where hypocrisy would seem to matter, she's a comedian desperate to be liked. People like her not because she bashes celebrities, but because she's so honest, even about being dishonest. Everyone recognizes a part of themselves in her, including the contradictions.
    sip sip pass
    "He is like an Iraqi peach and I want to devour him...take the pit, plant it in the backyard, and HOPE to grow some more."- Marcellus on Kaysar

+ Reply to Thread