+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV's bad rep

Harvest-

I would bet that a good percentage of those who rolled their eyes secretly watch reality tv as well. It's just the cool or "in" thing to trash it. I have a few friends that would trash it but when I told them about this site they confessed to being junkies as well.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Harvest-

I would bet that a good percentage of those who rolled their eyes secretly watch reality tv as well. It's just the cool or "in" thing to trash it. I have a few friends that would trash it but when I told them about this site they confessed to being junkies as well.
    Judging from the number of members here, plus the thousands we don't see who just lurk, I'll bet you are right.

There also seems to be a hierarchy in reality tv. Shows like The Amazing Race, The Mole or Survivor may be "socially acceptable" while shows like Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire or Joe Millionaire seem to be a little more trashy.

We are all entitled to our guilty pleasures. Wonder what those who insult us reality tv lovers are watching in their spare time? Somehow, I don't think they are all watching PBS or CNN........

The only people's opinions that count on this subject are those of us that watch a lot of TV. Those people can b@#$ and complain, but the fact remains that many would be unhappy regardless of what is on.

I personally would dread TV going back to a bunch of cliched "feel good" sitcoms. There is only so much "Full House" you can take before you bash your head through a wall.

When "Blow Out" was about to start (the FIRST season) I was getting my hair cut, and I asked my stylist "have you heard about the new reality show starting about a guy who runs a hair salon in Beverly Hills?" and he CUT ME OFF before I even got "Beverly Hills" out, saying "I don't WATCH that CRAP!" I was quiet the rest of the haircut. I mean, he could of just said "no" or "no, I never watch those types of shows."
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

^^ That guy sounds like a Jerk.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

I agree with all of you! It's a peeve of mine people assume the genre to be trashy. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I blame the TV critics for perpetuating the myth that reality is junk. They started their braying during the first season of Survivor, and now it's become a point of professional pride to bash the genre.
    You really see the hypocrisy when they pan shows like Wife Swap (which I think offers a lot of insight into our prejudices), but praise shows like Frontier House and Pioneer House just because they're on PBS.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

It gets on my nerves too. I almost feel like I have to keep my guilty pleasure (watching reality tv) a secret. I don't care though. While there are "bad" reality shows out there, there are also a lot of good quality ones. The complaint I get the most is the quantity of them, which I can understand but it still annoys me.

Hey, maybe if they wrote better sitcoms. How many times can I watch "the gang getting trapped in an elevator" or oops! Larry, was mistakenly arrested! Uh-oh will Jane and JimBob finally get together? I've been waiting all season! Please, please so I can whoop and OOOOOH! from the studio audience. Oh, and double entendres are HILARIOUS!

disclaimer: I'm not bitter, I just appear to be so on paper .
    ]

Living in Reality
    While things are often exaggerated for entertainment purposes, a LOT of the activity and underlying principles behind the shows are reflections of actual human interaction and social behavior. I'm a psychology fan too, maybe that's why i get so into them?

The good ones do teach us a little bit about ourselves, unfortunately the networks sometimes just go for the lowest common denominator as they do with crappy sitcoms!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast